View Full Version : Unknown parish

fran
03-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I am trying to find where my ancestors were married. Possibly in brides' parish

near Devizes. If they were not married in St Marys or St Johns Devizes(I

have searched these transcripts) and came from Cherhill,Roundway and

Market Lavington(so married in their respective churches),can any one

suggest where I could look ie what parishes

could these villlages also come under? Thanks.

Geoffers
03-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I am trying to find where my ancestors were married.Names and roughly when they lived would help others to give specific advice and/or search records that they hold.

can any one suggest where I could look ie what parishes
could these villlages also come under? Thanks.Most rural villages were single parishes and have their own sets of registers - as such you don't need the dedication of the local church. If unsure, good places to look first are, Genuki:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/index.html
The local Record Office
http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/mainindex/heritage/wsro.htm
and also the old-map web-site
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
when you click on a place name, a small map is displayed, look below it and select 'enlarged view'. The name of the church is usually included.
Geoffers

fran
04-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks Geoffers. As you suggested here is some more info.

William Taylor Francis married Mary Ann Amber(Surname is not 100%positive, but her first son was Henry Amber Francis). She was born in Roundway. Married approx 1849.
Edward Francis married Sussanah Sainsbury 5/4/1724 ? Market Lavington.
Edward Francis born around 1700 Market Lavington.
Does this help to find which records I should search to get documentary evidence?
Regards Fran

Geoffers
04-08-2005, 12:15 PM
William Taylor Francis married Mary Ann Amber(Surname is not 100%positive, but her first son was Henry Amber Francis). She was born in Roundway. Married approx 1849.
For this, first thing to look for would be the birth certificate of Henry; this would give the maiden name of the mother and so make searching for the marriage a more certain process. If you find a birth certificate, then look for the parents' marriage certificate (if they married after Sept 1837).

If his birth was not registered, try census returns to see if you can locate the family with any of Henry's siblings - again see if their births were registered. If no trace of births being registered then go to census returns, which will give the place of birth. With a palce of birth, you can go to the parish registers for the place(s) anbd see if you can locate baptisms.

The baptism register gives the father's occupation, which should hopefully be similar to that given in census returns.

continued.....

Geoffers
04-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Earlier census returns may show other members of the family living with William and Mary Ann - e.g. siblings and/or parents. If they are present, this information (i.e. name, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth) will help you to confirm that you have the correct family in parish registers.

Couples often maried in the bride's home parish, if she was born in Roundway and lived there until marriage, she may well have wed there too. It would be useful for you to check Roundway registers - especially the marriage register for the wedding of William and Mary Ann.

Edward Francis married Sussanah Sainsbury 5/4/1724 ? Market Lavington.
Edward Francis born around 1700 Market Lavington.
Does this help to find which records I should search to get documentary evidence?Market Lavington is a parish with its own registers. if you have proven a connection back from the family you mentioned above in the mid-19th century, to these in the early 18th century, then you need to check the parish registers for Market Lavington to see what other information it can provide. Some registers are very helpful, some contain basic informaiton, it's very much luck of the draw as to which you get.

Geoffers

fran
05-08-2005, 1:10 PM
Thanks Geoffers. I have some of the info you mentioned and have looked at parish registers and census info too. The fact that Market Lavington has its own parish is great to know. Does Roundway have a parish?
I have checked the free "b,d and m" on the web with no luck for marriage of William Taylor Francis. I think I will have to try my local genealogy society's records where the marriage registers are more complete. Fran

Geoffers
05-08-2005, 5:51 PM
Does Roundway have a parish?
Doesn't look to be a parish in its own right. If no one else on these forums knows, try 'phoning or sending and e-mail to the Record Office (see URL above for web-site)

I have checked the free "b,d and m" on the web with no luck for marriage of William Taylor Francis. I think I will have to try my local genealogy society's records where the marriage registers are more complete. Fran
freebmd is not complete, 1837online is a pay-per-view site which is complete. Other than that, if you look on the Genuki pages, you'll see that there is an index to all marriages in the county which is searchable for a fee.

Geoffers

fran
07-08-2005, 5:02 AM
Geoffers, Thanks for all your help. I will check it all out and see where it leads Fran

Guy Etchells
07-08-2005, 7:52 AM
In addition you could use Parloc to locate parishes around any other parish. Typing Market Lavington gives the following result –

Chirton P WIL ENG SU0757 4.2 East by North East
Devizes R WIL ENG SU0061 4.4 North
Devizes P WIL ENG SU0061 4.4 North
Devizes,St James the Baptist P WIL ENG SU0061 4.4 North
Devizes,St Mary the Virgin P WIL ENG SU0061 4.4 North
East Coulston P WIL ENG ST9554 3.7 West
Erlestoke P WIL ENG ST9653 3.2 West by South West
Etchilhampton P WIL ENG SU0460 4.2 North by North East
Great Cheverell P WIL ENG ST9854 1.9 West
Imber P WIL ENG ST9648 4.9 South West
Little Cheverell P WIL ENG ST9953 1.4 West by South West
Marden P WIL ENG SU0857 4.7 East by North East
Market Lavington P WIL ENG SU0154 0.0
Patney P WIL ENG SU0758 4.5 East by North East
Potterne P WIL ENG ST9958 2.8 North by North West
Poulshot P WIL ENG ST9659 4.4 North West
Stert P WIL ENG SU0259 3.2 North West
Tilshead P WIL ENG SU0347 4.5 South by South East
Urchfont P WIL ENG SU0457 2.6 North East
West Lavington P WIL ENG SU0052 1.4 South by South West
Worton and Marston P WIL ENG ST9757 3.1 North West

There is a link to Parloc on my website or click this link
http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Cheers
Guy

fran
09-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Dear Guy, Thankyou. However I am a bit concerned. Does your reply,showing a mass of parishes(I assume that is the collective term to be used!),indicates that my ancestor living in Market Lavington could have potentially lived there and attended one of these churches on a regular basis. If so,is there a logical approach as to which order one would follow to look for the church she/he was married in?
Regards,Roy

Guy Etchells
09-08-2005, 3:37 PM
No it simply shpws the parishes within a 5 mile radius of Market Lavington.
Having said that walking 5 miles to church would be nothing to your ancestors so they could easily have attended any of those on a regular basis.

It is always good to be aware of the parishes around the one your ancestors lived in, it is always possible they will turn up mentioned in them, start with those closest to your ancestors parish and work out.
Cheers
Guy

Geoffers
09-08-2005, 4:24 PM
If so,is there a logical approach as to which order one would follow to look for the church she/he was married in?
I love maps! For preference, large scale Ordnance Survey maps are best. I'd suggest buying one of the area and photocopy the area of interest. Now go to census returns (try 1851 or 1861) and work through the parishes, extracting all the names in which you are interested. Plot on the map where they were born and where they were living at the time of the census. When you've done that, look at the maps, is there a cluster of entries for your surname(s). If so, that is probably as good a place as any to start.

Also, if someone was living in one parish in a census return, and you can plot that location on a map; it may become obvious that the property was in fact nearer to another village and church and so indicate a possible location for a marriage. (as an example, in Norfolk part of the parish of Horstead is called Stanninghall. Stanninghall is a couple of miles from the parish church - but only quarter of a mile from Frettenham church; hence many Stanninghall (Horstead) parishioners went to church in Frettenham).

continued.....

Geoffers
09-08-2005, 4:26 PM
If looking for a marriage, don't just check the marriage register, also check the banns register. Occasionally (well, rarely) a vicar/curate was helpful and noted by the banns entry, when and where the couple married - or if they didn't. Also, if someone was living in one parish and married elsewhere (usually the bride's parish). The banns were supposed to be read in both parishes. So you might find a banns enry giving names of both parties, but no marriage in the same parish.

I hope that makes sense, I know what I mean, but may not have explained myself - if so and you're not sure of what I'm getting at, please ask again.

Geoffers

fran
10-08-2005, 1:07 PM
Guy, Thanks for your info. Regards Fran

Geoffers, Can I source ordnance maps over the net? I have looked in the LDS transcripts of parish records and seen marriages. Are the Banns in here somewhere or elsewhere? Regards Fran

Geoffers
10-08-2005, 2:15 PM
Geoffers, Can I source ordnance maps over the net?Yes, either direct from http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ or via one of the many online stores (e.g. Blackwells, Amazon)

I have looked in the LDS transcripts of parish records and seen marriages. Are the Banns in here somewhere or elsewhere? Regards FranI don't know if the mormons have transcribed any banns - I'd stand to be corrected, but I don't think thre are any on the IGI. The Banns registers are most likely to be accessible via the County Record Office; if you cannot travel to the record office, you may find that they can provide copies either on fiches/film or potocopies. Local FHS sometimes produce transcripts/indexes of registers.

Geoffers

fran
11-08-2005, 7:41 AM
Thanks again, Geoffers. All the preceding info will keep me going for a whlie, Fran

fran
23-08-2005, 3:14 PM
I have noticed quite a few people have looked at this entry and still are. Although I have received a lot of help,I am still open to any suggestions. Anyone wishing to add to the very helpful info I have already received would be most welcome. Regards fran

idredge
01-02-2007, 8:52 AM
Hi found the marriage of the couple in June qtr 1847 in Devizes.

If I have found the right Mary there is one in Overton in 1841, parents Paul and Emma Mary was born about 1830

Irene

fran
09-05-2007, 9:12 AM
Thanks Irene. I had lost heart on this page as no more info for a while. I thought the name was Amber without an"L". can you comment, regards Fran

idredge
15-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Could be a mistake in the transcription or it was just spelt wrong. Did you order the certificate and was it any help.

Irene

fran
16-05-2007, 7:33 AM
My information has come from the Mormons. I had not found a marriage in St Mary Devizes where most of the family were married,etc and wondered about St John or Roundway. I do not have a marriage cert yet as I find the costs mount and I have spent a fortune already on bits and pieces. Having said that,I will probably get one later anyway Fran
Thanks for your continued interest

fran
16-05-2007, 9:31 AM
Irene, I looked at the marriage in free B,DandM and looked at original. Is obviously Ambler. Intersesting as when used later on as middle name for a descendant, is Amber,Fran