PDA

View Full Version : Betsy Whitfield and son John William

Pauline Thomas
03-08-2005, 9:06 AM
Betsy Whitfield was born circa 1851 in Cumberland. In 1861 she is at home with her father and siblings at Barepot, Seaton. Also with the family is her son John Whitfield age 3 years.

John's birth cert. shows him as John William Whitfield born 31st October 1857 at the Union Workhouse, Cockermouth. No father mentioned.

I cannot find Betsy nor her son on the 1871 census. Of course Betsy may have married and presumably taken her son with her but again I cannot find John William.

I know he survived as in 1886 he married into another branch of my Whitfields at that time giving his father as Silas Whitfield.

To date I have never found a Silas Whitfield.

Regards, Pauline

Procat
03-08-2005, 9:20 AM
Hi Pauline,

Something wrong with the dates here.

If Betsy was born 1851 I don't think she would be having a son in 1857.

Regards,

Pauline Thomas
03-08-2005, 9:30 AM
Sorry, as has been pointed out to me I put the wrong age for Betsy, she was christened October 1841.

Regards, Pauline

uksearch
03-08-2005, 2:30 PM
Free BMD has an Elizabeth WHITFIELD marrying in the Sept qtr 1867 at Alston 10b 482.There is only one man on the list a John HIND.Out of sheer noseiness I looked for Elizabeth HIND on Ancestry and found one at RG 10 5198 folio 35.There was also a nephew and a servant called WHITFIELD.Maybe...just maybe...

UK

Pauline Thomas
03-08-2005, 3:54 PM
My thanks to UK Search - I have checked this entry out on 1871 but regret they are not my Whitfields. There is maybe some connection to the Whitfields in Alston but I have never found it.

But your message has given me food for thought, perhaps I should be looking for an Elizabeth Whitfield (one census called her Betty but all others Betsy, this is her name on John William's birth cert. as well).

I would have thought John or John William would have been easier to find on the 1871 but this has not proved the case.

Grateful for your input. Regards, Pauline