PDA

View Full Version : Naming conventions & migration

Harold Young
01-08-2005, 8:04 PM
A search of the IGI reveals that the following YOUNGs were married in Titchmarsh:
George Young married Elizabeth Swan – 1776
Mary Young married Thomas Ruff – 1782
Edward Young married Mary Ann Kirby – 1786
John Young married Mary Lewing – 1788

Edward and Mary Ann Young had the following children christened in Titchmarsh:
Mary Young – 1787
George Young – 1788
John Young – 1789
Elizabeth Young – 1790

I believe that Elizabeth is the same person listed in the Hellidon Parish baptismal record below:
Edward son of Elizabeth Young – Feb 10, 1805

My questions are:
Would a 15 year old who was born in Titchmarsh have an illegitmate child in Hellidon?
Would she name it after her father?
Are the Youngs in the group of marriages brothers and sisters?
Would Edward have named his children after his brothers and sisters?
Do I have the wrong Elizabeth?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm a Yank and not familiar with customs and the geography of Northamptonshire.

Thanks for being so patient.

Peter Goodey
01-08-2005, 8:34 PM
"Would a 15 year old who was born in Titchmarsh have an illegitmate child in Hellidon?"

They're about 45 miles apart so I think the basic premise might be a bit shaky. I would have said you might be jumping to conclusions unless you have some supporting evidence to suggest that the family had moved a lot nearer the place (eg marriages of siblings etc). Hellidon is rather a small place to imagine she have gone there to work.

Geoffers
01-08-2005, 9:27 PM
My questions are:
Would a 15 year old who was born in Titchmarsh have an illegitmate child in Hellidon?
Answered by Peter

Would she name it after her father?
Possibly - but equally (or more) likely is to name an illegit child after his father.

continued......

Geoffers
01-08-2005, 9:27 PM
Are the Youngs in the group of marriages brothers and sisters?
Extended families did often stay in an area, either one parish or a small group of them. So, there is a strong possibility that they are related, siblings, cousins or whatever - but a more in depth view of the registers would be needed to specify the relationship - sorry I don't have access to them.

Would Edward have named his children after his brothers and sisters?This frequently happened, children were often named after siblings - but also after both parents and grandparents too.

continued....

Geoffers
01-08-2005, 9:28 PM
Do I have the wrong Elizabeth?
YOUNG is a name which occurs frequently, as does Elizabeth - it may well be the wrong one. Did she survive and stay in England until the 1851 census? This would give her age and place of birth.

There are several online maps which may help you to work out where different places are in relationship to each other, e.g.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/
and for old maps and aerial views
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/welcome.htm

Good luck
Geoffers

Harold Young
02-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Did she survive and stay in England until the 1851 census?

I wish I knew. My great grandfather came to America in the mid 1850s with brothers Peter, William, and James. GG-grandfather was named Edward and the family was from Northamptonshire. I obtained a copy of the birth registration for Joseph Young born 4 Mar 1842 in Helmdon. The registration listed Edward Young as his father and Ann Warner as his mother. The 1851 census lists 47 y/o Edward born in Hellidon with sons William, James, Joseph, and Peter and wife Ann. That same census lists Ann as being born in Finedon.

The IGI tells me that Edward Young and Ann Warner were married in Leamington Priors in 1829. I obtained a copy of the Biship's Transcript which says there were married by Banns but does not list any parents and the witnesses do not have family surnames.

William was born 1830 in Milverton, Warwick to Edward and Ann Young. The remainder of the family was born in Helmdon. Searching the 1804 (1851-47 = 1804) baptismal records for Hellidon parish gave me "Edward son of Elizabeth Young baptised Feb. 10, 1805". Looking for an Elizabeth Young born in Northants between 1770-1790 gave several possibilities but only one whose names appeared to be in the family line. Edward Young and Mary Ann Kirby in Titchmarsh.

Where might I go from here?

Geoffers
02-08-2005, 8:29 AM
If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you work through the 1851 census for both the Helmdon and Hellidon areas. This won't take too long, it is a rural area with small communties. Note down all the YOUNG entries and plot the birthplaces. You may find an obvious cluster of birthplace(s).

Then go to the registers for the parishes and work through them, extracting all the YOUNG entries. The registers may be hired at one of the mormon church (LDS) record centres - you might also check to see if the local FHS has produced any transcriptions/indexes of records to help you. If you do work from transcriptions, always check the original. With the best will in the world, human error does creep into transcriptions and they should just be used as a guide.

continued........

Geoffers
02-08-2005, 8:30 AM
Also, check the Northamptonshire surnames list to see if anyone else is researching the same family
http://www.kellner.eclipse.co.uk/genuki/NTH/Surnames/

You may be lucky and find that your family has lived in this area for several centuries and is easily traced through parish registers; you may find that they've moved either a a mile or two, or possibly a lot further. If they have moved, that is a problem that can often be solved but I'd suggest starting off with the census and parish registers and see how you get on. If you get stuck, come back and ask again.

Geoffers

Harold Young
03-08-2005, 4:21 AM
I still have the Hellidon BMD microfiche at the local FHL so I shall go back and record all the Youngs as you suggested. Then I shall order the records for Helmdon.

I want to thank you and Peter for your help and assistance. As I research further I am sure that I will come up with new problems and questions that will require expertise such as yours. Thank you!

Ken Boyce
03-08-2005, 2:50 PM
In addition to the foregoing advice you may find the free downloadable Windows bases program called "Parish Locator " useful in looking for Northants parishes of possible interest

The program is called PARLOC and the Web Site can be found via Google

The program has been around for several yrs and is updated by the author on a regular basis It was written to assist in finding possible migrations to other parishes which are returned by specifying a radius distance in miles from a given location

I have no connection with the program, the author or the Web Site

Regards

Peter Goodey
03-08-2005, 3:40 PM
"The program is called PARLOC "

How does the program - or rather its facilities and results - differ from the online GenUKI Parish Search page?