PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry.co.uk membership

DavyTee
17-12-2012, 2:20 PM
I have family tree maker 2012 my free 6 month ancestry membership ran out. If i buy software again to gain another 6 month membership will i have to reload software or is there a code to to gain free membership i cant remember what i did ?

If i reload software will it keep all my original reserch family trees etc

Thanks in advance

Mary Anne
17-12-2012, 6:06 PM
DavyTee

Family Tree Maker is a stand-alone genealogy database software. The 6-month Ancestry subscription is merely a benefit to get you to buy it and to try out Ancestry.

Once your free 6-month subscription to Ancestry runs out, you have to renew it by paying a monthly or annual subscription fee, depending on which class of membership you want: Essentials, Premium or Worldwide. This will depend on the types of records on Ancestry that you want to be able to search.

If you were to choose to not renew your Ancestry subscription for whatever reason, you can still go on using the Family Tree Maker software that is now on your computer to record your genealogy research. You don't have to buy it again or reload it in order to use it by itself. Nor do you have to have an ongoing Ancestry subscription to continue using the software.

Mary Anne

Peter Goodey
17-12-2012, 6:24 PM
If you want to buy another copy of FTM to take advantage of the free membership, you may want to change your Ancestry ID. You may want to turn into Mrs DavyTee or something like that :biggrin:

Alternatively you can still get a 25% discount with Ancestry via the National Trust web site. You do not have to be an NT member. Look for "our partners" on the NT web site. Again, a different ID might be a good idea.

terrysfamily
17-12-2012, 6:48 PM
Does he mean he bought FTM 2012 and had 6 months free subscription to ancestry. Now his subscription has run out.

Instead of paying Ancestry for 6 months subscription he wants to buy another FTM 2012 with 6 months free subscription and reload that on his computer?

I know one well known selling site that is offering FTM 2012 for just £29 Includes 6 Months Premium Membership to Ancestry, includes free shipping.

Whereas if he decided to go direct with Ancestry 6 months Premium Membership would cost him £77 or £57 with the NT discount that Peter has provided

This would give him a saving of around £48 or £28 with the NT discount.

I'm not sure if he would have to uninstall the original FTM from his hard drive before he reinstalled his new purchase or if the program would come with a code that he could put in.

I know it wouldn't affect his family information as this is stored as a separate file on his hard drive. But if he has uploaded it to Ancestry could he still gain access to it after installing the new package?

Terry

Mutley
18-12-2012, 12:48 AM
FTM and Ancestry can connect to each other. I seem to remember, when I used FTM. I was given 'a green leaf' for a match?
I could then download information from Ancestry directly into FTM instead of typing it in.
Unless you have an Ancestry sub this cannot be done.

The family information you have put into FTM is contained in a Gedcom file on your hard disc. Save it (you should do so regularly anyway and pop it on something separate from your PC) then you can import it into any Family Tree software you decide to use in the future or a new copy of FTM.
(And still keep saving it on somewhere other than your PC.)

But whatever you do, please make sure that you do NOT depend on Ancestry to look after your research.
It's yours and your hard work so hang onto it. :smile5:

Mutley
18-12-2012, 1:00 AM
If you do not know what a GEDCOM file is then you can google for an explanation.
This site gave a fairly simple one.
http://
genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/what-is-a-gedcom-file-.html

maesglas/ssclub
18-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi terrysfamily
you said you know of a site selling FTM with six months free ancestry, well I would like to buy it as a Christmas present for my daughter, could you say which site.

Robert.

David Benson
18-12-2012, 2:56 PM
Just google FTM2012 and it's the same name as the river.

stepives
18-12-2012, 3:02 PM
Buy the FTM, get your 6 months free subs, and then sell the software on Fleabay.:yes:

DavyTee
18-12-2012, 3:14 PM
Buy the FTM, get your 6 months free subs, and then sell the software on Fleabay.:yes:

Aye thats what i want to do'
so i can just chuck the software so is there a code in the package thats what i need to know

Mutley
18-12-2012, 9:16 PM
It might be worth keeping an eye on this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/75957-Family-Tree-Maker-free-sub-problem). It may help answer your question.