PDA

View Full Version : Friar Park Inn/Tavern

Jeanette
15-10-2004, 5:08 PM
My grandfather Richard Thursfield ran a pub in Crankhall Lane, West Bromwich, known as "The Cabin" in the early 1930s. Does anyone know if this was a nickname for the Friar Park Inn? Any background info about the pub would be welcome.

Dave Ogden
15-10-2004, 8:53 PM
My grandfather Richard Thursfield ran a pub in Crankhall Lane, West Bromwich, known as "The Cabin" The THURSFIELD family ran the Cabin for ages. It is the Friar Park Inn and I've just driven past it. We still call it the Cabin.
The pub itself is inside the Wednesbury border (the border with West Bromwich is further up Crankhall Lane near to Eldelade Road and the Tame Valley canal cutting). The Master Builder in charge of building it was a Mr. MANN (G/father of Michael Mann a regular in the Leathern Bottel in Wednesbury). He was given a silver trowel by the brewery at the topping out ceremony and decided to walk back home to Wednesbury via the canal.................They found his body the next day at the aqueduct near Hydes Road, but never found the trowel!

Guy Etchells
15-10-2004, 9:39 PM
The Kelly’s Directory Staffordshire 1912
Has no entry for THURSFIELD Jsph. Rd. beer retlr.

The Kelly’s Directory Staffordshire 1932
Page 555 Shows -
THURSFIELD Jsph. Rd. beer retlr. 103 Crankhall la

The Kelly’s Directory Staffordshire 1940
Page 542 Shows -
THURSFIELD Rd. Jas. beer retlr. 4 Crookhay la. Hill Top la

http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/acatalog/stf-directories.html

Cheers
Guy

Jeanette
16-10-2004, 8:46 AM
Thanks a lot for this information - it confirms what I suspected. Pity about the trowel;)

Jeanette
08-11-2004, 5:09 PM
Dave

Since you gave me such great info about the pub, my curiosity has been roused - now I am wondering if you have any idea when the pub was built. I have come across a postcard/photo of the Inn among my late Mum's bits & pieces showing what looks like my grandfather standing in front of the entrance and the building looks quite old (or maybe just looks it on the old photo!). He was still an engine fitter in 1914 when my Mum was born (at No.87) but have no idea when he changed to being a publican.