PDA

View Full Version : Howland -Tabrett - Spain in Kent

Chasing Caseys
31-07-2005, 9:57 PM
Slight conunderum !

My Great Great Grandfather Henry Howland married Emily Tabrett in 1869 Kent.
Emily was born c1845

On the 1871 census they are with Charlotte Spain widow aged 70. Henry is described as her son in law and Emily as her daughter.

There is a 1861 census for a Charlotte with husband John Spain.

There is a birth for an Amy Spain to John and Charlotte Boughton Aluph Kent 1837 which would mean Emily (Tabrett) was born after Charlotte,s marriage to John. IF this is the same John and Charlotte.

On another census 1881 i found a John Howland and wife Amy and on that also is George Spain described as brother in law and his wife Esther as sister in law.
and another one
1881 Thomas Howland with wife Harriett with them is a Charotte Spain 80 Mother in law and Esther Spain 24 niece.

I have just started my English side and dont know if my Henry, John and Thomas are brothers.

I have searched freebmd for all combinations but still cant work out the Emily Tabrett Charlotte Spain bit ! Or am i looking too hard. All of this takes place in Boughton Aluph, Warehorne and Ashford Kent
:confused:

Peter Goodey
31-07-2005, 11:05 PM
On Emily's marriage certificate, who was shown as her father?

Chasing Caseys
31-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I havent got it. :o I suppose i will have to order it or go look at the records office. This is the worst thing about English records is having to get up off your bum and go look unlike Scotlands site !
I was hoping someone out there was doing this line but i havent found anyone

Peter Goodey
01-08-2005, 8:25 AM
"I suppose i will have to order it or go look at the records office "

Yup. But then you may well also need a selection of birth certificates to figure them out. However the marriage cert is a first essential.

I'll have a look and see if I've got anything here that might help but it's unlikely because I don't actually own much in the way of data and usually rely on records offices and other sources.

I'll give you a shout if I find anything

Peter Goodey
01-08-2005, 9:03 AM
1841 Census
HO 107/471/10 Fo 8 Pg 10
Boughton Aluph

John SPAIN 45 Labourer
Charlotte SPAIN 40
Eliza SPAIN 15
Thomas SPAIN 16
George SPAIN 10
Harriet SPAIN 7
Amy (?) SPAIN 4

All born in Kent

Also in BA, a James (55) and Mary (50) TABRETT plus large brood.

That seems to knock on the head any possible theory about an earlier marriage. I wonder what Charlotte's maiden name was?

My suspicious mind wonders whether Emily might in reality have been Charlotte's granddaughter. Might be a possibilty to bear in mind.

The 1851 census might be more informative.

I think a day in the Records Office is looking more and more pressing ;)

Chasing Caseys
01-08-2005, 9:29 PM
Hello Peter

Thanks for all that. I have spent the last few years researching just my Scottish side and i have enjoyed every minute of it.Now ive decided to start my English side its like all common sence and thought has gone out the window ! It feels like i am learning a new subject which i suppose i am. It never occured to me that Emily could be her grandaughter. On the 1871 census it says she is daughter but when you look at the actual census there is some scribble where it says that but, it also says her husband Henry is Charlottes son in law ! There are a few census with Howland and Spain either together or living in the same street so they are definitly related but how !

A few hours at the records office it is then and if i find out first i will let you know who she is !

Thanks

Tracey

Peter Goodey
01-08-2005, 10:57 PM
"A few hours at the records office it is then "

Sounds like a good idea. The Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone is probably the place to go but give them a ring first to reserve a film reader and also check that they do have what you want (it can be a bit of a nightmare tracking down records in Kent). They'll also have all the censuses for Kent. They accept CARN cards.

Chasing Caseys
01-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Now looks like a trip on the ferry and a bus !

What are CARN cards ?

I can see myself going back to the link you sent and getting a Quote from a researcher !

Peter Goodey
01-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes, they put that blasted river in the way. It's ridiculously difficult to travel from one county to the next.

If you're stuck with public transport then - unless you want to avoid London - I would have said it would be best to go into London and out again. The Centre for Kentish Studies is only a hundred yards from Maidstone East station.

You probably need those certificates first. Did you say you'd done an exhaustive check of the GRO indexes for Emily's birth (not just FreeBMD)?

Have you accounted for all the sisters in later censuses? I'm thinking that perhaps Eliza (say) married or took up with a Tabrett but died giving birth to Emily.

Peter Goodey
01-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Oh. I should have said...CARN cards are readers tickets for archives - widely accepted by most county records offices. You can get one on your first visit - well worth doing. See the website for details of the ID to bring.

Chasing Caseys
01-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi Peter

So far i have only got as far as free bmd for her birth. I did find someone else on the web (and off hand i cant think but i do have their details) who had the same as me for them. I have mostly concentrated on finding Tabrett because of the Spain thing and found one other that could be related to Emily i think a Mary Tabrett. I really am at the first stages of this so i need to write it all down and lay it out infront of me instead of jumping from page to page on my pc. I have done some Spain Tabrett combinations on freebmd but i will go back and see if there is a Eliza m Tabrett.
I will get the certificates as its going to get annoying ! I was hoping not to shell out for more ! Its so annoying when the start is a nuisence !

Bellini
04-07-2006, 4:52 PM
Slight conunderum !

My Great Great Grandfather Henry Howland married Emily Tabrett in 1869 Kent.
Emily was born c1845

On the 1871 census they are with Charlotte Spain widow aged 70. Henry is described as her son in law and Emily as her daughter.

There is a 1861 census for a Charlotte with husband John Spain.

There is a birth for an Amy Spain to John and Charlotte Boughton Aluph Kent 1837 which would mean Emily (Tabrett) was born after Charlotte,s marriage to John. IF this is the same John and Charlotte.

On another census 1881 i found a John Howland and wife Amy and on that also is George Spain described as brother in law and his wife Esther as sister in law.
and another one
1881 Thomas Howland with wife Harriett with them is a Charotte Spain 80 Mother in law and Esther Spain 24 niece.

I have just started my English side and dont know if my Henry, John and Thomas are brothers.

I have searched freebmd for all combinations but still cant work out the Emily Tabrett Charlotte Spain bit ! Or am i looking too hard. All of this takes place in Boughton Aluph, Warehorne and Ashford Kent
:confused:
I am researching Howlands from Mersham and Warehorne. Willing to exchange information.
Regards Meg

Chasing Caseys
04-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi Meg

Does my Henry Howland and Emily Tabrett sound familiar to you ? To be honest i still havnt got much further with this side as my Scottish side is still drawing my attention ;)

Sharyn
29-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I have an Eliza Spain married to William Tabrett, with William being the son of James Tabrett and Mary Staples.

Does this help?

Chasing Caseys
29-06-2010, 8:10 PM
Sharyn, I think you may have had contacted me last year some time - i had been sent a huge amount of information from a very kind lady in Kent who has researched Howlands for years and there were some discrepancies regarding information ? If not i applogise for confusing you with someone else ! but to answer your question i still havnt had the time i need to work on this side (William does appear to be my Thomas brother) and although i trust completely the lady that sent me information i still havnt bought and seen the *evidence*for myself.

Sharyn
29-06-2010, 11:23 PM
No problem, I will keep looking for more information but would love to hear from you once you sorted through all the information.

Sharyn, I think you may have had contacted me last year some time - i had been sent a huge amount of information from a very kind lady in Kent who has researched Howlands for years and there were some discrepancies regarding information ? If not i applogise for confusing you with someone else ! but to answer your question i still havnt had the time i need to work on this side (William does appear to be my Thomas brother) and although i trust completely the lady that sent me information i still havnt bought and seen the *evidence*for myself.