PDA

View Full Version : Two issues - help please!

Annamarie
06-12-2012, 6:40 AM
I jotted down a reference for a baptism at St Leonard's, Broseley, Shropshire, film source 992079, for Peter Garbett 1823 but before I could note his father's name I lost the record and despite hours of searching I cannot find it. I'm going crazy.

Similarly, I am trying to research his marriage to Ann Cox in 1851 in Wolstanton, Staffordshire. I have a Marriage record for the June quarter, volume 17 page 337 but I think IGI have transcribed her name as Ann Fox.

Advice and help please.

slinger1
06-12-2012, 6:51 AM
you are correct all details ann cox iGI have made a mistake http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
use above free website for BMD uk.

slinger1
06-12-2012, 7:02 AM
family search has peter garbett bap. date 31 Oct 1824 this could be your problem ! (no parents are shown on the site) film source correct

Nicolina
06-12-2012, 7:37 AM
in 1841 Peter was living in Wood Street, Broseley (HO107/56/928/12) with Peter GARBETT b. abt. 1791. Also living with them are Thomas BURD b. abt. 1811, Sylvina BURD b. abt. 1801, Thomas BURD b. abt. 1837 and John BURD b. abt. 1841. They may give you a clue.

Annamarie
06-12-2012, 7:58 AM
you are correct all details ann cox iGI have made a mistake http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
use above free website for BMD uk.

Part of my dilemma. Peter Garbett's father according to IGA is Samuel Garbett but the only census record found is, as Nicolina, suggests, father's name Peter. Cannot find an 1841 record for Peter son of Samuel. I suppose he could have been living with an uncle. I'm sure I found a baptism record in 1823. I'm beginning to think I'm seeing things!

My dilemma with Ann Cox arose because Ancestry members give her maiden name as Ann Cadman but the IGI link suggests her maiden name was Evans. Ann was the widow of Thomas Cox of Broseley. Evidence 1841 census.

Jan1954
06-12-2012, 8:44 AM
My dilemma with Ann Cox arose because Ancestry members give her maiden name as Ann Cadman but the IGI link suggests her maiden name was Evans.And this is why you need to lay your hands on a copy of the marriage certificate to see for yourself which is correct. Order it using the references that you mentioned in post #1 above, but just using Peter's name - you do not need Ann's name as well.

However, please make sure that you spell his surname as it has been recorded: GARBIT

slinger1
07-12-2012, 2:28 AM
Hi Anna

it appears that all your garbett's come from Wenlock in Madeley district of Shropshire 402 results in all census
if this is a important line in your tree I would make a database of them in Excel. saves a lot of time in the long run!

graham