PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Question

tandemduo
17-11-2012, 7:38 PM
How do I find which forum I should be posting my requests/information on? Feeling like a fish out of water.

Jan1954
17-11-2012, 7:45 PM
First of all, please don't fret. |hug|

Click on the main forum page here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forum.php) and look down the page. If you have the forums minimised, then click on the little arrow on the right-hand side of each main heading. That will open up all of the sub-forums.

You managed to find the "Problems Navigating Brit-Gen" forum okay, so you are going in the right direction! :wink5:

If all else fails, one of the Moderators (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/36583-Super-Moderators) will be able to move your post to the correct forum for you. :smile5:

Ken_R
17-11-2012, 7:46 PM
Don't worry about it. I've been here since? Can't remember! And still have trouble deciding.

We have some excellent Mods who will shift stuff around for you/(us).

And, welcome.

Mutley
17-11-2012, 7:51 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It does seem very confusing when you first start but I promise it does get easier.
Remember when you first learnt to drive? I bet you thought you would never get the hang of it and now you don't even think about it.

Let's start at the beginning.

I believe you have London ancestors you would like to trace. It is best to put your thread on the London forum.

At the top of the BG page on the right are four headings. The second one is Forum, click that.
You will now find yourself at a page with many headings. Some of us expand the headings to show the various topics in each section, some of us don't.
The section you want is headed: County Forums including Ireland, Scotland, Wales and British Islands. Click it.

In this section are many Counties, you want to find the London-main-forum and click it.

Then you start a new thread. You can do that already. :smile5:

On your thread it is best to give us as much information as you can without going into overload.
It is best to start with one person you wish to trace. Give his/her birth or baptism date and where. Have you found them in a census, did they marry, did they have children? What are your missing pieces of the jigsaw?

Don't worry if you make a mistake, we are here to help. Good Luck.