PDA

View Full Version : Is Family Tree Maker the way to go?

joycelyn
14-11-2012, 8:48 PM
Hi, all of the info for my family tree is saved using GSP The Ultimate Family Tree. I haven't updated the family tree for a few years now and need to buy a new family tree programme to enable me to do this. Is Family Tree Maker the best way to go? I really am not very computer savvy when it comes to programmes and suchlike and want something relatively easy to keep my tree on and update as and when necessary. I know I have to GEDCOM what I have but don't really understand how to do this so will be back when I have purchased a new programme to ask for more advice! Many thanks in advance....

Megan Roberts
14-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Everyone has their own particular preference, in terms of what works for them.

I use Family Tree Maker and it works well for me - I have a very large tree and then a number of smaller ones. As with any piece of software occasionally I get frustrated when it does not allow me to do something that I think it should, but it's never really caused any problems.

There are some useful hints in the Genealogy Software Forum of this site which are well worth reviewing.

Pam Downes
15-11-2012, 5:15 AM
You might find it helpful to type 'family history computer programs comparison' into google, and then look at the results. (Note the spelling of programs.)
Wikipedia have a good entry, while other sites show what 'facilities' various program(me)s have.
You need to check with the program(me) seller's website for the latest version, as I notice that one site is quoting Family Historian v4.1.3 but I know that Family Historian is now on v.5, possibly 5.1.

I know it'll be a pain while you're doing it (easier if the free/trial version lets you import GEDCOMs), but I would advise trying out at least two or three program(me)s to see if you find one easier to use than another. Or you might prefer the layout of one to another. You don't need to enter a whole family - say three or four generations of one line between possibly 1881 and 19-whatever, so you can see census results and how the tree pans out when you have no census details but have photos, war records, etc. (I can actually cover a total of 130 years between the baptism in 1836 of my 2x great grandfather and the death in 1966 of his grandson, my grandfather. So that's pre-civil registration, too.)

Pam

Peter Goodey
15-11-2012, 8:52 AM
Is Family Tree Maker the best way to go?

It's not the best just because Ancestry advertise their own product a lot!

Have a look at Legacy first because the basic program is free (bells and whistles are a little extra).

MythicalMarian
15-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I love Legacy! I was on Family Historian for quite a few years (I've never really liked the look and feel of FTM), but Legacy sold me on its deluxe edition with the source writer, which has been an absolute boon. But as with everything else there are pluses and minuses. Legacy does not automatically calculate relationships, so if you add a newly discovered nxgreat grandpa, for instance, the programme doesn't automatically label him as such without returning to the 'set relationships' tool. Family Historian always did this. I e-mailed Legacy about this only a few days ago and their excuse was that they have updated their software to include non-blood relationships, and thus they cannot automatically calculate blood relationships when new people are entered. This is, of course, bunkum - especially to anyone who understands the programming of databases. However, I'll grit my teeth and put up with it because the source writer is so good. I must add - the source writer is not available with the free version of Legacy, but if you do invest, it's a godsend when your tree starts to expand.

I'll not go into my feelings on 'non-blood' relationships in family trees here..... :D

joycelyn
15-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Thank you all for your comments and advice. All I ask from a program is that I can put together my family tree and link each branch, maybe add a few photos and certificates etc - no fancy stuff for me! I will definitely look at the comparison site and also Legacy (never heard of that one!). Thanks again

Mutley
15-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Thank you all for your comments and advice. All I ask from a program is that I can put together my family tree and link each branch, maybe add a few photos and certificates etc - no fancy stuff for me! I will definitely look at the comparison site and also Legacy (never heard of that one!). Thanks again

In that case, it might be worth you also taking a look at Tribal Pages, definitely not a PROPER family history program but it is quite fun and easy to use. You create a website, add photos and text and scans and can print family trees. It creates relationships and stores your info either free for the basic program or just a few pounds for the bells and whistles. You can give other family members a password so they can look but not edit and it will take your old gedcom in with just a few button clicks.

Might be an 'as well as' a proper program but is an easy way to share your family history.

P.S. I use both, for different reasons.

pottoka
16-11-2012, 12:50 AM
(I) need to buy a new family tree programme to enable me to do this. I really am not very computer savvy when it comes to programmes and suchlike and want something relatively easy to keep my tree on and update as and when necessary. I know I have to GEDCOM what I have but don't really understand how to do this so will be back when I have purchased a new programme to ask for more advice!

This is a question I've been asking myself for several years, Jocelyn, so I'm glad you've brought it up. Far from being computer-savvy, I'm a total technophobe - and was bawled out by one of the kids for asking for computer help today. I'm even scared of this GEDCOM idea; I've been thinking of pruning my tree - all those extras back in the 1700s who might have died as babies or moved away, but whom I can't find out about, so it almost seems a good idea to rebuild ...

You might find it helpful to type 'family history computer programs comparison' into google, and then look at the results. (Note the spelling of programs.)
Wikipedia have a good entry, while other sites show what 'facilities' various program(me)s have.

Or you might prefer the layout of one to another.

That's very good advice, Pam, thank you (even if wasn't aimed at me). The layout thing is really important; Ancestry have just changed theirs, - |bowdown| yes, I admit it, I've got a tree on there, but it is private - and I find the new system absolutely horrendous.

I love Legacy! Legacy sold me on its deluxe edition with the source writer, which has been an absolute boon. I'll not go into my feelings on 'non-blood' relationships in family trees here..... :D

What is a "source writer", please?

I wonder if your feelings on non-blood relations are part of what makes me want to prune my tree. I was so enthusiastic at the beginning that I put everyone, his wife and their butcher, baker and candlestickmaker on, too :blush5:

In that case, it might be worth you also taking a look at Tribal Pages.

I remember looking at Tribal Pages once, having had it recommended to me, but I'm afraid I got annoyed with their model and the mistakes in it. When you go for the bells and whistles, can you add Census returns to people or would that make it too "heavy" on the documents?

Does anyone know of a family tree program (hate the spelling!!) which uses biometrics on photographs and tells you that the one of Uncle Joe as a war hero is actually his illegitimate half-brother whose existence you had suspected from another family photo but never really uncovered? I'm pretty sure I read about one once, but have never done anything more; my second name must be Procrastination. Perhaps it'll pop up when I follow Pam's advice.

Mutley
16-11-2012, 12:50 PM
If you scan census returns to your PC you can add them as a photograph (.jpg). The same applies to newspaper articles, certificates, maps or anything else you wish to scan in.
I don't know about biometrics but you can add a bit of descriptive blurb to each photo.
You can also print a photo tree of a family.

The deluxe version allows 5000 photos and a limit of 8000 words for individual notes.

MythicalMarian
16-11-2012, 6:45 PM
Pottoka - the 'source writer' module in Legacy is part of the programme's software. What is really useful about it is that it comes with hundreds of different templates that help you record exactly the information you need to record to comply with modern standards of genealogical sourcing. It disciplines us as family historians to maintain good standards of sourcing too. I really like it.

pottoka
16-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Thank you for your answers to my questions. This will have to be a project for next year now, when I'll start with Pam's good advice and probably follow Mutley into family history software and TP. I just want to get my tree off Ancestry as they own it, I'm fed up with their shaking leaves telling me that yet another idiot has added my great-grandmother to their tree where she does not belong, with a death date which doesn't exist, and no-one is looking for any shared ancestors - another reason to prune the tree: if ever I get a message about someone, I don't even know who they are ...

Sorry, one last question: is there any specifically British genealogy software out there, or do you get US spelling, etc (or a choice)?

MythicalMarian
16-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Family Historian is very much geared towards the UK, Pottoka. It's made here too.

Mutley
17-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I believe TP is American but seeing as the entries are what the owner enters I have not even noticed it.

My tree has as many living relatives as it has those long gone, I add births, marriages and deaths as they occur, so it is kept private.
The family have access and all use it as a source of reference for all sorts of dates.
However, many just keep it for family history and it is open to the public should anyone be researching the names.

I believe the Daft Bat here on BG has her TB as her signature.

Remember though, all family history programs are really databases and a database is only as good as the information that is entered into it. Some people keep it up and really make use of it, enjoying the work involved, others find it a trial and though they may both use the same program, one will be a better source than the other.

Regardless of whatever program one decides to use, it is what one does with it that matters. :smile5:

Slmyers
11-03-2013, 3:49 AM
I use Family Tree Maker also and love it! It is a pretty easy program to use also. Good luck with finding something that works for you !!

S

MarkProctor
31-10-2013, 3:28 PM
Whichever one you choose (I'm just getting started with the free version of Legacy), you need to create a file system to store your photographs,etc, or you loose things or get confused. In My Documents I created a folder called "My Genealogy" then in that folder I put a few more folders; Pictures; GRO Index; GRO certificates; England Census; United states Census, Parish Records; Old Maps; etc. In the GRO Index/Certificates you can then add separate folders for Birth; Marriages; Death. In the Census folders you add a separate folder for each Census year.
As long as you have a simple system for naming the files you download or scan, you (and others that follow) will be able to quickly find any information you already have and Link it to an individual in your chosen software. You can chose your Language under the "Options" tab for English UK or English US.

Lesley Robertson
31-10-2013, 9:26 PM
Yes, that's the way I work, Mark. Everything in a folder with a name to make it easy to find. Christmas before last, I made up small photo albums (with added text) including family trees and highlights from the family archive photos, and gave them to everyone.

I do like to have my ultimate backup as low tech as possible, and nothing's lower than paper!

To go back to the original question, I actually run 2 copies of FTM - 2005 (which I think is the last of the Broderbund versions) and 2011. The 2005 has a few features that Ancestry took out - especially the "entire database" tree which can be useful for my One Place Study. I don't sync my tree to Ancestry, and am therefore reduced to making gedcoms to get my FTM trees into my iPad.

Guy Etchells
01-11-2013, 7:14 AM
I have tried a number of programmes over the years and find the best for me is Brother's Keeper.
It is available as shareware (try before you buy) at
http://www.bkwin.net/index.html and upgrades to the programme my by downloaded free of charge, unlike other programmes.

Cheers
Guy

Kiltpin
16-01-2016, 4:03 PM
There is a persistent rumour that Windows 10 does not support FTM. I do not know this from personal experience, but I have friends who have upgraded to win10 and complain that there are many programmes which are no longer supported and that FTM is one.

Regards

Kiltpin

Lesley Robertson
16-01-2016, 4:12 PM
As I said in #16, only 2 messages ago, I have Windows 10 and am using 2 versions of FTM without problems.
Ancestry, the owners of FTM are going to stop selling FTM, but still support it at the moment.

Kiltpin
16-01-2016, 5:40 PM
As I said in #16, only 2 messages ago, I have Windows 10 and am using 2 versions of FTM without problems.
Ancestry, the owners of FTM are going to stop selling FTM, but still support it at the moment.

Hi Lesley,

I use 2014, as does my friend in Scotland. He has updated to win10, but I have not. He tells me that it is now 'klunky'. More I don't know, except that I will be staying with 8.1 till the end of the year.

Regards

Kiltpin

Megan Roberts
16-01-2016, 6:22 PM
Don't forget that apparently you can try Windows 10 and if it does not suit you can revert back to your previous operating system.

I haven't tried it yet, but am planning to do so shortly; when I get a free day!!!