PDA

View Full Version : Lambeth Churches 1800's?

stella
29-07-2005, 4:05 PM
I need some advice please?
I've stuck at my brick wall,regarding my Francis Wenlock HOLTON. He married a Sophia CHANDLER in 1823 at St.Mary's Lambeth,so for a long time now I've been ordering films regarding this church,alas nothing.After a ks today looked up in the LMA for me, he found not one HOLTON, so now I need to start looking further afield, trouble is where do I begin. They both have moved 3 times at least, whilst expanding their family, so which direction do I go in? Any suggestions please?|bowdown| Kind Regards, Stella, Australia:)

Colin Moretti
29-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Hello Stella

They both have moved 3 times at least, whilst expanding their family, so which direction do I go in? Any suggestions please?
Do you know where they moved to?
West Surrey FHS publish a handy little map "Suburban London before 1837 showing parish boundaries" WSFHS Research Aid no 2, ISSN 0261-5673

It names the parishes, the dates they were created and shows the approximate position of the church within the parish boundary.

Another useful little tool is the PARLOC program
http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
It will identify all parishes within a specified distance of any given parish and plot a (rough) map of their relative positions. It covers the whole of the UK and Ireland.

There are 31 parishes within 1 mile of St Mary's Lambeth! Some of them will have been created later that the dates you're interested in.

I hope that helps

Good luck

Colin

Peter Goodey
29-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Was the marriage by licence or banns? Were they both "of this parish"?

What was his birthplace from censuses?

Do you have any clues from other evidence about religous preferences?

I assume you know that you can't draw conclusions about their religous affiliations, if any, simply from a marriage in a CofE church in 1823?
What about the CHANDLERs? St Marys was more likely to be the bride's home parish. Have you got her baptism?

stella
29-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Colin,

many thanks for your advice re: booklet on churches, I'm amazed how many churches there were! I'll look up those websites you mentioned. No, I have no idea where they moved to . Francis died in 1844, Sophia in 1848.

Peter,
cheers to your advice too.The mariage was by banns, & it stated for both of them 'of this parish'.On the only useful (since he died soon after) census, 1841, sks found them, & I did'nt get whether he was from this parish. I have the ref numbers? H107 736 ED 10 f 17 page 99, if that helps.No I don't have any clues about religious preferences, & thanks for your advice about that! I have nothing of the CHANDLERS either.
Thank you so much, so far, Kind Regards, Stella

Peter Goodey
30-07-2005, 8:24 AM
It's very thoughtless of ancestors to die before the first useful census!

If I were you I'd move on to Walworth, Southwark and thereabouts but I'm afraid it might be a long haul.
Also have a look out for My Ancestors were Londoners. How can I find out more about them?, Cliff Webb, Society of Genealogists, 1996. Might be worth reading.

Geoffers
30-07-2005, 9:44 AM
In addition to the excellent advice already given, a few passing thoughts;

1) Was Francis Wenlock HOLTON kind enough to have an occuaption that is going to be of use? i.e. was he in a trade or profession, or was he like mine - an ag.lab?

If he was in trade or a profession, did he leave a will?
Is he mentioned in any directories?

2) Do any other HOLTONs show up in the local census returns? either 1841 or preferably 1851? If so, could they be related? If the 1851 census shows someone who may be a brother and a birthplace, you might then try the registers for that parish/place in the hope of finding a baptism for a Francis Wenlock (at lesat he had an unusual combination of forenames).

3) Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate? These are often relations. Can you find them in later census returns, trace their baptisms and then look for the baptism of Francis Wenlock in the same area. Were either bride or groom minors in the marriage entry? If so, a father/guardian should be named.

4) Good luck

Geoffers

stella
30-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Many thanks to Peter & Geoffers for your advice & thoughts, that's just the sort of know-how I needed! I will keep an eye out for My ancestors were Londoners, looks good. MOST annoying to go & die at that particular time, I agree! Francis had on his death certificate he was a glass warehouseman, I followed up his will, turns out he was in partnership with a Ferdinand Thomas, whose address Francis died in! I don't have any census info, so I don't know if there are any other HOLTON people around that area, I will post for a kind Loo-up?

Oncea gain many thanks gentlemen for your input & knowledge, it gives me something to think & run with !

I know I'll just need that tiny bit of info to get me going again, I'm far from giving up! Kind Regards, Stella

Procat
30-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi Stella,

Pigot's 1822 Index of names for the Directory for London from Archive CD Books does not list any Holtons - but keep in mind not everyone was listed in these publications.

stella
30-07-2005, 1:42 PM
Procat,

Many thanks for looking for my HOLTON people. Worth a try though.
Kind Regards, Stella