PDA

View Full Version : how big is barrow hill near staveley?

kath
15-10-2004, 3:13 PM
Hello

my greatgrandparents gave barrow hill as their dwelling place on their marriage certificate in 1874. They were WILLIAM CLARKE and MARIA PACKWOOD. William was a railway guard, Maria the daughter of a gas manager. I know barrow hill still has links with the railway but how big was it in 1874?How far is it from Staveley where Marias family lived in 1881 at 5 Furnace Hill.

Any help gratefully received

Kath

JohnBunting
09-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Much of the origional buildings seem to have been removed although some seem to be remaining as do some of the other buidings that your G Grandparents would have known. Unfortunately, in common with many ex-mining/steel places it gives a rather ru down impression when you drive through it as I did a few weeks ago.

My G G Great Grandad moved his family there from Matclock area just before your relatives married. I suspect it was a bit of a wild west asthmosphere if they were all like him, hard working & hard drinking. GGG finally moved to Poolsbrook nearer Staveley.

John
Sheffield

kath
11-01-2005, 6:43 PM
Dear John

Thanks for tha information. The "hard drinking" must have rubbed off on great grandad. He ended up in Ashton under Lyne, via New Mills, and became a police officer. He was dismissed for " being under the influnce of liquor".

Regards Kath.

JohnBunting
11-01-2005, 8:13 PM
Greetings

A sad story clearly oft repeated.

It must have been a very hard life for the wives.

My Grandad would tell of being pushed through the larder widow with his siblings when G Grandad came in drunk at the front so that they would not get beaten. When he was in bed & asleep she quietly let them back in. Another genealogist told of a very similar story. I often think of the influence G Grandma had over her family that both sons became lovely, non-drinking, non-swaring, gentle adults.
I never knew her but my mum met her during the war. She tells how GGma (then at Poolsbrook) would make sweets to give to the local children in return for bringing scraps for the pig fattening in is stye just across the road.

I know my dad who was born at Poolsbrook commented that the Saturday night 'entertainments' there included bottle fights at times.

Sadly things don't always change much for the better!

Regards

John

kath
18-01-2005, 7:03 PM
hello John
After being dismissed Ggrandad went on to drive a dray for a brewery. Perhaps he felt more at home !!!!!!!!!

Kath