PDA

View Full Version : Potterspury Parish Records

Colin Rowledge
29-10-2012, 4:58 PM
Not sure if this request is proper or not but here goes:

1] Is there an OPC for this parish?

2] If not, can I request a look up from a forum member, or must I join a Family History Society?

I have a load of names some very common and may involve some inter-marriages between folks who may already be related i.e cousins.

Colin

Jan1954
29-10-2012, 5:53 PM
Hello Colin,

The Parish Records are currently being transcribed and you can request look-ups via the Potterspury website: http://www.
potterspury.org.uk/fhs/parishrecords.htm

Colin Rowledge
24-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Having been redirected back to this thread by Jan1954 - thank you Jan - I'm getting forgetful in my old age - here is the problem.

I am looking into the life of Sophia Johnson born about 1809. She appears on the 1841 census as a 33 year old, unmarried woman with parents Thomas and Catharine. Along with Sophia is her unmarried sister Louisa age 20 and a young lad named Henry Johnson age 7.

In this census, Thomas is aged 62 and Catharine is aged 63. It seemed unlikely that Henry was their son.

Sophia married Richard Webster in 1843

Richard and Sophia in the 1851 censu had their own 3 children - Ellen age 7, Susanna age 5 and John age 2. As well there were 2 nephews - named Gear - William age 7 and Charles age 4 [and the Gear family is well known to me]. Richard is an Ag. Labourer. Another person also resides with them - Henry Johnson age 17 - enumerated as son-in-law - but is obviously Sophia's son.

When Sophia married Richard, she was unmarried prior. So what I am looking for is information about Henry's baptism and whether or not there was a bastardy bond in place that may have named the father.

That is one of several queries I want to resolve in Potterspury and given the distant relationship of this family, I feel that the lookup's offered will wind up being cost-prohibitive.

That is why I am asking on the forum.

Colin

Colin Rowledge
24-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Another query is the marriage of Sophia's parents - Thomas Smith Johnson and Catharine [Kitty] Tapp. Several trees on a well know site have their marriage as 22 October 1801 but, after contacting each tree owner, only 2 responded. Neither had viewed the actual registers or seen transcripts and had just copied from other trees.

Colin

Waitabit
25-03-2013, 1:20 AM
Terry have you seen anything on Sophia yourself? I cannot find her with a Mother Catha/erine, only mentions on censuses on Familysearch.As with Louisa.
HO107; Piece: 796; Book: 12,Folio: 14; Page: 21(Crown copywrite TNA)

The only Thomas Smith Johnson I saw there was born to Joseph & Sophia Johnson & christened 29 Jan 1826, Hellidon, Northampton, England.

I guess you do need the local OPCs to find the truth.

janbooth
25-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Colin,

From the Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1700-1812:

29 October 1801 at Potterspury Thomas JOHNSON, of the parish, bachelor & Catharine TAPP, of the parish, single woman

Janet

Colin Rowledge
25-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Colin, have you seen anything on Sophia yourself? I cannot find her with a Mother Catha/erine, only mentions on censuses on Familysearch.As with Louisa.
HO107; Piece: 796; Book: 12,Folio: 14; Page: 21(Crown copywrite TNA)

The only Thomas Smith Johnson I saw there was born to Joseph & Sophia Johnson & christened 29 Jan 1826, Hellidon, Northampton, England.

I guess you do need the local OPCs to find the truth.

Nothing seen for myself, except the census record you found for 1841. I have sophia up to 1871 when she was age 62 with Richard and 3 children and a grandson.

I found a possible death for Richard 3rd q. 1871 in Potterspury, but I have yet to find him in 1841, nor have I confirmed his birth c. 1802-1803 [again with parents from that tree] named as John and Elizabeth Webster - formerly Tapp.

Colin

Colin Rowledge
25-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Hello Colin,

The Parish Records are currently being transcribed and you can request look-ups via the Potterspury website: http://www.
potterspury.org.uk/fhs/parishrecords.htm

Hi Jan
From the site you originally listed, I received a response which wasn't to my liking.

I found a tree with source citations detailing events that are of interest to me, however the link now doesn't work as googling it says site not found. This particular tree owner was one of those who has failed to respond to my messages.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Colin

Jan1954
25-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Have you tried emailing the parish council clerk to see if they have any suggestions?

clerk AT potterspurypc.org.uk

I obtained the email address from:
http://www.
potterspurypc.org.uk/

which has a village history page.

Colin Rowledge
25-03-2013, 1:08 PM
Have you tried emailing the parish council clerk to see if they have any suggestions?

I obtained the email address from:
http://www.
potterspurypc.org.uk/

which has a village history page.

Thanks, Jan. Will give it a shot

Colin

southistle
26-03-2013, 5:43 AM
The Northamptonshire Baptism Index 1813-1843 has

Henry son of Sophia JOHNSON bapt at Potterspury 30 Mar 1834
Wm PACKER being the reputed father

Colin Rowledge
26-03-2013, 2:23 PM

Have heard back from this person who forwarded my request to the Priest in Charge of Potterspury and Yardley Gobion, and the Priest in Charge has asked for further details of how far back I want to research. I said prior to the start of the 1800's.

I'll await responses and update later.

Colin

janbooth
27-03-2013, 9:39 AM
Fingers crossed for you, Colin. Good luck.

Janet