PDA

View Full Version : Any ks going to London Metropolitan Archives??

stella
29-07-2005, 2:39 AM
Would anyone be visiting the LMA? I'm looking for a baptisim for Francis Wenlock HOLTON born either 1799 or 1800. He was married in St.Mary's in Lambeth- so I'm hoping he was baptised there? Looked on the LMA website, Index no is: X038/004-index X102/057;X102/062. Hope that means something!
I have ordered & looked at so many films trying to find this fella, alas nothing yet, Just hoping someone may be able to help.
Thanks & Kind Regards, Stella, Australia:)

Stuman
29-07-2005, 9:12 AM
Stella

The LMA is a lunchtime walk for me so I willsee what i can find next time I go. That will depend on whether it is raining, too hot or I am feeling lazy or have other things to get done. I will let you know if I find anything.

Stuart

stella
29-07-2005, 1:46 PM
Stuart,

Many thanks for your reply. I really do appreciate you looking, when you can. Don't go without lunch however!!Kind Regards, Stella

Stuman
29-07-2005, 2:10 PM
Stella

I nice day today. Not too hot no rain. Also had no other tasks to perform and I felt like the walk.

Stella

Unfortunately no joy to report on your F W HOLTON. One of those references that you gave was for an index of the registers so I was able to search for the name for the period from 1796 through to 1808. Not one HOLTON in that period.

It looks like your brick wall is still standing.

I have two lines in the same area and know that they did have a tendency to move around a bit from parish to parish. The problem then comes that there are a lot of parishes within a relatively short distance.

By the way you might also want to try posting to the London forum and also Surrey. Lambeth was in Surrey in 1800 and is now in London.

Stuart

stella
29-07-2005, 2:51 PM
Stuart,

Many Many thanks for your looking for me,most appreciated! Why does'nt it surprise me he's NOT there! or any oither brothers or sisters.You're not wrong about so many churches in such a small area then,I'm starting to think maybe they did in fact move parishes. How annoying.Just one question regarding your lines, how did you know which new parish to start at?
Once again thank you, glad it's such nice weather over there

Stuman
29-07-2005, 3:50 PM
Stella

At the LMA there is a very conveniant map which shows the parish boundries. What I then did was to list the parishes that bordered on to the starting point, then those next on to each of those. I then went to the parish records list and worked out when each of the target parishes were founded as there were lots of new parishes created in the middle 1800s. A few dated maps helped a bit there as I could work out where the new buildings were going up at various times.

It was then a matter of working through the list with a lot of hope. Some I found and some I am still searching for. I suffer from the usual problems that we all face of getting waylaid by little things along the way. One thing that I found in the Bermondsey area - a little way east of Lambeth was the number of foundlings that were baptised. They were usually given a Christian name and then the name of the street in which they were found. I felt some sympathy for any unfortunate family hunters who came across a brick wall like that!!!!

Stuart

stella
29-07-2005, 4:15 PM
Stuart,

You've explained your methods brilliantly!I will look for that parish boundary map,which would help heaps. Yes, I'm used to being waylaid, but I won't give in!! They can't have beamed up to space surely? Again much appreciated, your help & advice, kind regards, Stella