PDA

View Full Version : Danny Howell Warminster Historian

Procat
15-10-2004, 3:10 PM
Danny Howell has written a number of books regarding the history of Warminster. Some time ago (several years now) there was talk of a web site being developed by Danny which does not appear to have eventuated. Does anyone have any news regarding this?

Warminster-Forum
31-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi Procat i have a few of his latest " Warminster & Wylye Valley Recorder "and i have recently joined the Warminster History Society where he was a member , if you would like some details of his books from Library im sure i can assist given time .here is the address for " Warminster & Wylye Valley Recorder " back issues , Danny also has many booklets in library i have browsed.

Procat
31-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Greetings,

I have Danny's books "Remember Warminster" Volumes one to five, Warminster The Way We Were, The Illustrated Warminster and District Miscellany Volume one and also his An Old Postcard Album of Warminster and found them extremely interesting.

Possibly more so because my great grandaunts Annie Louisa, Agnes Kate and Sarah Amy Green (three spinsters) rate rather a lot of mentions.

They were all school teachers who were at Newtown School for a period of time that spanned fifty years. They lived at "Ingleside", Sambourne Rd.

Warminster-Forum
02-08-2006, 7:46 AM
Procat the emails i sent all got through except no 6 and it says your email box is " over quota " i will send it as soon as you empty box or email me . Keith

Procat
02-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Keith,

I am limited to 10 meg -though if the last one starts below the limit the entire message will be accepted.

steel monkey
06-04-2012, 6:30 PM
Hello Procat,

Danny Howell's website is www.
dannyhowell.net

It features parish registers not only for Warminster but also for the neighbouring towns of Westbury, Wilton and Mere, as well as for the surrounding villages in the Wylye Valley and South West Wiltshire: Bapton, Berwick St. James, Berwick St.Leonard, Bishopstrow, Boyton, Bratton, Brixton Deverill, Chapmanslade, Chilmark, Chitterne, Codford, Corsley, Corton, Crockerton, Deptford, Dilton Marsh, East Knoyle, Edington, Fisherton Delamere, Fonthill Bishop, Fonthill Gifford, Gore Cross, Great Wishford, Hanging Langford, Heytesbury, Hill Deverill, Hindon, Horningsham, Imber, Kilmington, Kingston Deverill, Knook, Little Langford, Longbridge Deverill, Maiden Bradley, Market Lavington, Monkton Deverill, Norton Bavant, Norton Ferris, Pertwood, Sherrington, Shrewton, South Newton, Stapleford, Steeple Langford, Stockton, Stoford, Stourton, Sutton Veny, Tilshead, Tytherington, Upton Lovell, Upton Scudamore, West Knoyle, West Lavington, Winterborne Stoke, Wylye, and Zeals.

There are sections about people, buildings, communications, education, religion, sport, transport, recreation, etc., plus ephemera and what's on, and lots more.

Cheers, Ryan.

Procat
06-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Blimey - an old thread kicked back into life. Many thanks Ryan. I'm about to go and take a look.

warncoort
07-04-2012, 12:09 AM
For those of us with connections to the Warminster area ,this appears to be a wonderful site!Now to set aside several hours to just skim through all the snippets of information available.
Eric
PS,Doug,Worth kicking back into life..

Procat
07-04-2012, 12:11 AM
It certainly appears to contain a lot of information. I have only just started on it and suspect I will be there for several hours also.