PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for Scaife & Stork

Cas60
29-07-2005, 1:25 AM
Hi!

I'm Carole from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia but originally from Filey, although I have to admit that I haven't been back there since I left in 1970 (when I was kneehigh to a grasshopper)!

Anyway..I'm trying to find some people for my family tree unless my brother & I are really the last of my family to exist & I doubt that!

My SCAIFE's come from around the Hunmanby area.
My dad - Malcolm SCAIFE was born 29/9/1936 & died in Billinghurt 8/2/1970 & is buried in Hunmanby cemetary (so I've been told).

His mother is Nora SCAIFE born 15/12/1915 in Bridlington & d1/7/2005. On 17/4/1943 she married George Watson STORK b10/3/1910 at Thwing & d30/8/2002.

Nora's mother was Mabel Annie SCAIFE b20/12/1893 in Hunmanby. She was a witness at her daughter's wedding but at that time signed as Mabel Annie LAWTY.

Mabel's mother was Mary Elizabeth SCAIFE b1878.
In 1907 when she was 29, she married a Fred TOWSE (?spelling) at The
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Bridlington St, Hunmanby. Witnesses included
her brother George SCAIFE & a Hannah WITLY (or maybe it's WILLY)
Fred's father is named as William TOWSE a 'corporation cartman'.

Mary's parent's were John SCAIFE & Sarah FRANKISH b4/2/1852. They married on 30/5/1868.
Other children included:
John Henry b1877
George Robert b1883
Walter Frederick b1892
Francis Wilfred b1893
Arthur Riley b1891 KIA 5/11/1914 (Gunner in Royal Field Artillery)

John SCAIFE's parents could be William SCAIFE & Ann NORBURY.
Sarah's parent's could be Joseph FRANKISH & Martha DOSDILL.
Any help appreciated
Carole

Peter Goodey
29-07-2005, 9:05 AM
The first thing to do is to find out how to do it. There is advice on the British Genealogy home pages and a good online beginners guide is here -

http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/

You'll need to read this carefully and absorb it. Also follow up the links from the page and consider buying or borrowing one or more of the books mentioned (Ancestral Trails is pretty good).

With average luck you shouldn't have a great problem tracing your famly back to early Victorian times (that's Queen Victoria not the one in Australia!). Then it starts getting seriously interesting.

Being in Australia makes it a little more difficult but it is not a blocker. I know many Australians who would put many British researchers to shame with the amount of good quality work they've done.

When you've read all that stuff you'll probably decide that the first thing to do is get hold of some civil registration certificates. If you get stuck, give us all a shout.

You may also want to consider the wisdom of cross-posting the same message to different forums - at worst it will only irritate some people. We're researchers - we'll find your message:) :) :) .

Good luck with your research.

DebbieAnn
29-07-2005, 11:56 AM
It seems like you aren't sure who your father's father was. You might check the record of his birth to see if it was given or appended to it. Failing that, you need to know who his mother's family was - I'd look on the second marriage certificate for her parents' names and her place of birth. Then try to locate any siblings she may have had and work forward to find their children. There may have been stories passed down about your grandmother in the rest of the family that would help identify Malcolm's father. Just keep in mind that she may have had very good reasons for isolating herself from any other family you may find. She may have recieved little help from them when she needed it most. She may have been ostracized for having a child at a young(?) age. She may have been taken advantage of. She may have lost her family in the war, and the memories were too painful for her. Until you find them, you won't know, but her second marriage license and your dad's birth certificate is a good place to start.

Good luck!

Debbie