PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Software

Guy Etchells
15-10-2004, 2:35 PM
Many family historians are living on fixed incomes and therefore cannot afford to pay the asking price of the latest software - no problem.
At least not in the UK, check out the computer magazines at your local newsagent. Here in the UK such magazines come with cover mounted cds, these contain programs as a form of advertising.
However; don't go for the magazine which offers a time limited or otherwise disabled copy of the latest program with all the bells and whistles, look closer to see what other offerings are contained on the cd. Often there will be a full version of an expensive program, this will be fully functioning and it will also be a legitimate legal version.
It won't contain all the latest gimmicks the programmers have developed but it will be prefectly usable as in most cases the latest bells and whistles are never used.
Cheers
Guy

ziksby
15-10-2004, 5:49 PM
Hello Guy
Thats where I got my program (GenoPro) from; a magazine CD. Works great for me, I have 1500 names on the tree. I keep meaning to pay for the upgrade key to get rid of the annoying popup delay screen, but haven't got round to it yet.
You can add loads of info including photos, the search engine is good and you can easily export the ged files to the web or elsewhere. My son and I are both working on the tree and every so often we update our work by emailing a new ged file.

Steve Ley
16-10-2004, 6:13 AM
My main family history software is Legacy it is free and fully functional and there is also a deluxe version.

There is also a very good mailing list which the programmers take part in.

Steve.

*Sanders*
18-01-2005, 8:17 PM
My main family history software is Legacy it is free and fully functional and there is also a deluxe version.

There is also a very good mailing list which the programmers take part in.

Steve.

This is what I'm using and am very content with it. I'm still procrastinating on getting the deluxe version, even though the deluxe version is only $19.95. The basic one suits me just fine.

Sandy

johnpritt
19-01-2005, 6:52 AM
There are also freebies. When I started a year or so ago I found GenerationX to be fine for what I wanted to do. It's not perfect -- but then what do you want for nothing? -- but allowed me to enter all my data, navigate through it, export Gedcom, produce html. It wasn't too good on charts, but there are workarounds.
It hasn't been updated for a while now -- I think the developer has a "real" job that keeps him from finishing the new version that was promised last year, but it was OK as it was anyway.
I changed because I wanted a single programme that would export html and charts -- when the time came, I had absolutely no problem reading the GenerationX data.