PDA

View Full Version : Gwenllian Wood - Linthorpe

seashell
26-07-2005, 5:46 PM
Hi - I just received a death certificate for Gwenllian Wood - she died on 25 Oct 1884 of typhoid fever. Her address was 40 Jamieson Street, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough.
Any ideas on where she might be buried - or where I might find any more information? Does this address still exist?
Thanks for any help - Debbie

Jo Simpsons
30-07-2005, 7:26 PM
Hi Debbie,

there are quite a few places where Gwenlian Wood may be. Just in case you don't know Linthorpe is amongst Middlesbrough. May be the
www.
clevelandfhs.org.uk/
can help?

I live not far from Middlesbrough, have looked on Street map web site and couldn't see the address. Also there is this web site
www.
interment.net/uk/eng/cleveland.htm
may be the person who has been adding the names for the area could help?

Jo :)

Jan65
12-08-2006, 4:02 PM
Hi Debbie

Jamieson Street ran between Cannon Street and Newport Road, one of a series of terraced houses which made up the Cannon Street area. Jamieson Street no longer exists unfortunately. You can get a map of the area from www.
alangodfreymaps.co.uk, an excellent site, very cheap. You need the map for Central Middlesbrough 1913. Jamieson Street is (roughly) in the top left corner of the map, to the right of the words "Newport Ward".

Gwenllian will probably be buried in Linthorpe Cemetery. As you have the date of her death I would be happy to look up a burial record for her next time I visit Teesside Archives.

(Unless she was a Catholic, then she'd probably be in St Joseph's at North Ormesby.)

The only stumbling block is that she died of typhoid. I don't know if there were special burial places for typhoid victims - again I could ask at the archives.

If you let me know if you still need this information, I will add it to my list of things to do!

Janice

seashell
15-04-2014, 5:07 PM
Hello Janice -
My apologies! apparently I never saw this message of yours, and forgot about my inquiry. Just now getting back into research after a long time. I read your message with interest and gratitude, and would love to take you up on your offer, if you are even still in a position to do such a thing! I realize a lot of time has passed, so if you are not able to look this up, I'll understand. Many many thanks for offering, anyway!
Best wishes -
Debbie

Hi Debbie

Jamieson Street ran between Cannon Street and Newport Road, one of a series of terraced houses which made up the Cannon Street area. Jamieson Street no longer exists unfortunately. You can get a map of the area from www.
alangodfreymaps.co.uk, an excellent site, very cheap. You need the map for Central Middlesbrough 1913. Jamieson Street is (roughly) in the top left corner of the map, to the right of the words "Newport Ward".

Gwenllian will probably be buried in Linthorpe Cemetery. As you have the date of her death I would be happy to look up a burial record for her next time I visit Teesside Archives.

(Unless she was a Catholic, then she'd probably be in St Joseph's at North Ormesby.)

The only stumbling block is that she died of typhoid. I don't know if there were special burial places for typhoid victims - again I could ask at the archives.

If you let me know if you still need this information, I will add it to my list of things to do!

Janice

Peter Goodey
16-04-2014, 7:46 AM
You could always pursue it yourself by contacting Middlesbrough Council.

http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1924

Chrissie P
16-04-2014, 7:45 PM
Hi Debbie

Cleveland Family History Society have a Burial Database for North Yorkshire and South Durham (Middlesbrough was in North Yorkshire at the time you mention.

Contact Mr G Brown.
email [email protected]
Cost £2 per surname

seashell
16-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks very much for this info, Chrissie!
Debbie

Peter Goodey
17-04-2014, 8:09 AM
She was buried in New Linthorpe Cemetery 28 Oct 1884

seashell
17-04-2014, 4:49 PM
Wow, thank you SO much Peter, for this information! I continue to be overwhelmed by the kindness of people at these forums.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. Many, many thanks!
Debbie