PDA

View Full Version : 1891 census

evason
26-07-2005, 4:25 PM
Is there such a thing as an 1891 census of Ireland if so do you have to know where people lived or can you do a name search?
many thanks
Joannie

Sandra
29-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Is there such a thing as an 1891 census of Ireland if so do you have to know where people lived or can you do a name search?
many thanks
Joannie

Sorry to disappoint you but the only complete censuses for Ireland available to the public so far are 1901 and 1911. The ones before this were destroyed. There are snippets from previous censuses available to look at on a few websites but they really are just small sections which were somehow saved from destruction. The best way to find these is probably to put ' Census Ireland' into a search engine such as Google. You just might find something from the 1891. You can't name search as far as I know but the pieces are small enough to make a trawl not too daunting and the ones I've seen tend to be transcriptions in alphabetical order. Good luck.

evason
26-08-2005, 2:23 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but the only complete censuses for Ireland available to the public so far are 1901 and 1911. The ones before this were destroyed. There are snippets from previous censuses available to look at on a few websites but they really are just small sections which were somehow saved from destruction. The best way to find these is probably to put ' Census Ireland' into a search engine such as Google. You just might find something from the 1891. You can't name search as far as I know but the pieces are small enough to make a trawl not too daunting and the ones I've seen tend to be transcriptions in alphabetical order. Good luck.

Thanks for your help Sandra.
Will give it a go
Joannie