PDA

View Full Version : Thomas DUNN/Susan DOWN

Karen Newman
26-07-2005, 1:59 PM
Susan DOWN is on the 1871 census living with her parents in Exeter under her married name of DUNN (the daughter shown is, I believe, that of her sister and incorrectly surnamed).

In July 1871, Thomas John DUNN was born but the birth was not registered until Jan 1872 (I have the cert). Mother's maiden name is shown as DOWN. I am pretty sure this is my Susan as the place of birth is where she was living at 1871 census.

I have traced Thomas John on the 1881 and his father is shown as Thomas WILLIAM DUNN born in Shoreditch c1851/53 (varies on different censuses). Mother is shown as Susan, born in Exeter.

I cannot find Susan's marriage to Thomas William, despite searching the indexes. Thomas was younger than Susan so I have considered that he may have lied about his age at marriage but even so I cannot find a match. I am fairly certain he was born in 1853 as there is a match for him on the IGI (he has a daughter Juliet -fairly unusual name I think and that of his mother). I have checked after the 1871 census as well in case they married after the son was born and prior to registering the birth.

I have checked the parish registers for St Thomas the Apostle church (just down the road from where Susan was in 1871) but the son is not baptised there, nor is the marriage registered. There is a subsequent child baptised there in 1874.

I have considered that they might not have got married.

I know that by 1871, Susan's brother George has moved to London/Middlesex and I wonder if Susan worked mover for work and met Thomas there, rather than in Devon.

If anyone has a conection to the DUNNs,I would be pleased to hear from you. Thanks.