PDA

View Full Version : Fw Emails

Diane Grant-Salmon
26-07-2005, 10:50 AM
One thing I hate is when someone sends me forwarded emails, particularly those which have been forwarded three times already! |rant|

Apart from the fact that you have to keep on clicking to get to the end of them, which is usually a joke or something else I don't want ..... they also 'show' everyones email addresses!

Even though I have asked people not to send me any of these, some keep on sending, so now I delete them.

gibo
03-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi,
I agree emails are getting out of control.
I think it is a good idea to have a few email addresses and be careful about publishing your no 1 email address.

I use Yahoo for my main address with 1000mbs inbox and free spam (bulk mail) handling. I also use Gmail which has similar controls and 2000 mbs inbox.
Both are free so it comes at the right price!

You can use Yahoo via outlook (POP) account or web mail.
It is handy to open up your inbox in web mail - trash the garbage mail and then open in Outlook if I choose.

Regards,
Jeff

Dennis Harker
26-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Another good program to use is Mailwasher.

Admittedly it's not free but you can look at any number of email addresses in one go. You run Mailwasher before opening Outlook (or whatever email client you are using) and providing you have set up all of your email addresses in the program it will show all the emails waiting on all the servers for those accounts. From this window you can delete all the hoaxes and obvious dangerous emails and even 'bounce' them.

It will even look at hotmail and other webmail accounts. The beauty is that nothing gets near your computer unless you let it and your account details remain on your PC unlike some of the web based services.

A bonus is that it can be installed to a laptop and used whilst travelling to check, read and manage all of your emails no matter what service you are using to connect.

Once purchased the updates seem to be free. It is written by a guy in New Zealand and, no, I am not connected with the program in any way. Just a satisfied user of some four years or more. If you are worried about the number of dangerous emails that arrive in your inbox this program (or any similar type) will give you back control.

Diane Grant-Salmon
26-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Yes, I delete them in MailWasher. :) A great thing to have, but I didn't pay anything for my version ...... totally free, with the option of buying.

If it became compulsory to buy, then I probably would.

Chasing Caseys
26-10-2005, 2:15 PM
Very rarely can i send a message via forwarding succesfully, dont know why :confused: (so end up copy and pasting) and only open mail from recognised address or topic.
Jeff mentions Yahoo................Anything with a Yahoo address i have blocked as they are the biggest culprits in my experience of spam and its one of the few that actually gets past aol.
What annoys me most about forwarded mail is when you do after a long scroll get to the bottom - message isnt there |banghead|

busyglen
26-10-2005, 7:09 PM
Hi Tracey, I'm on AOL also but don't experience problems with forwarding.....wonder why??

I don't have a spam blocker but rely on AOL and get very few that slip the net. And yes, Yahoo are the biggest culprits of spam in my experience also.

Glenys

gibo
01-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Guys I note your objections to spam and Yahoo seems to have a bad name. I have used it as my main email address for many years and no probs. Maybe the spam you receive is seemingly form Yahoo addresses but nothing to do with Yahoo themselves I suspect. Maybe Yahoo UK is different to Yahoo US
A or Australia. In regards to MailWasher I used to use that but when the freebie version was withdrawn (needing upgrade to paid version) I save my pennies and looked elsewhere. Now I use Outlook 2003 with a built in Junk Mail system. Works spot on with all Spam sorted into a folder where I can review to make sure no legit mail filed prior blowing it away for ever.
I also find useful Spybot Search Destroy, and Ad-Aware to get other junk including cookies comprimising your confidentialility.
Good luck.

Trudy67
03-06-2006, 3:34 AM
Hi Everyone. A Newbie here. Another suggestion if you want to forward a message instead of copying and pasting. Is to put the addresses in the "BCC" part of your message which then comes up at the other end as "Undisclosed Recipients". It means that no one can access your email addresses.

As part of a group that is organising a convention, it means we can send an email out to everyone at the same time and not give out any personal details.

If everyone did this then the Spammers wouldnt get everyones addresses, then NO MORE SPAM.

Bye For Now
Trudy
Esperance, Western Australia