PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Census Request

Jane Aires
25-07-2005, 1:20 PM
Is there SKS out there who has the 1851 census for Dorset, and who could do a look up for me please?

I am looking for a George Hardy who was born in Dorset (Dorchester District) possibly Pilsdon in 1838. His mother was Ann (born about 1806 in Piddletrenthide) and John (about whom nothing is known as he was dead before the 1861 census). George also had a sister named Ann (born about 1842 in Burton Bradstock, Dorset).

In 1861 Ann is listed as a Dairywoman, and George as a Dairyman although he later became a Gamekeeper. In 1861 the family are living in Alton Village, Alton Pancras, Dorset at Holcombe Dairy, although I am not sure where they were in 1851.

Sorry it's a bit vague, but if anyone is bored and feels like a bit of a hunt I would be forever grateful!!

Thank you!

Best wishes

Jane Aires

Wirral
27-08-2005, 11:25 PM
No 1851, but have them in the 1841 census.
HO107/283/24 p6f6 Alton Pancras, dorset
Charles Crocker 65 as lab
Mary Crocker 65
Maria 20 [can't read her occupation, might be buttoner]
Ann Hardy 35
William Hardy 5
George Hardy 2

All born in county. No other Hardys in Alton Pancras.

Jane Aires
30-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Thank you Wirral!!

It may be that Ann was already a widow then - and this could be her parents! Fantastic! A new line to check out!

With very grateful thanks!

Jane x

Wirral
30-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Forgot to say, Maria's surname was Crocker. Also, marks by the enumerator indicate that although they were all in the same household, the Crockers were one family unit, the Hardys another. This doesn't mean that they were unrelated, just that Maria is more likely to be an unmarried daughter of the Crockers & that the Hardy children belong to Ann.

No other Hardys in village, but at bottom of same page is:
George Crocker 25 miller j.
Lucy Crocker 25
Tryphena (?) Crocker 3mth

On freeBMD there is a birth for a Tryphena (?) Kate Crocker Mar 1841 Dorchester viii p46. You can view the original, but it is hard to read.

Wirral
30-08-2005, 2:26 PM
FreeBMD also lists the birth of George Hardy Sep 1838 Dorchester vol 8 p62.
On the IGI:
Ann Crocker c.11May 1806 Piddletrenthide, Dorset, father Charles Crocker, mother Mary.
George Croker married Lucy Toop 2 Mar 1840 Holwell by Sherborne, Dorset

Jane Aires
06-09-2005, 8:07 PM
George Hardy (1838) was our starting point! FreeBMD must just have added that one as we have been looking for it for a long time!

George managed to get married, father 2 children and die between census returns - so tracking him down has not been easy! His daughter married my great grand uncle in Northamptonshire in 1897 - so he travelled some distance from his birthplace!

Many, many thanks for all your help with this hunt! Much appreciated! That is one more brick wall broken through!

Best wishes, and good luck with your own research!

Jane

ajhpayne
17-11-2005, 3:04 AM
Jane, I just got an email from my cousin in Yorkshire today mentioning George Hardy as the first husband of my Great-Grandmother, Jane Dodd, who was born in Braunston, Warwickshire 1846. Back then I believe it was in Northamptonshire.

I'm amazed to find this thread - a direct link to my family - well almost - I'm descended from Jane's 2nd husband John Foster.

Below is the section of my cousin's email that relates directly to George Hardy:

---------------------
GREAT GRANDPARENTS

John Foster b.1845 @ Barby Jane Dodd b.1846 @ Braunston~ 2nd Wife

John Foster was married twice; Jane Dodd was married twice;

1st Wife Sarah Lomas b.1849. 1st Husband George Hardy b. circa1836
@ Pilsdon,Dorset.

Children Children

Florence Hardy b.1874 @ Bridport,Dorset.
Ann Hardy b.1876 @ Melplash,Dorset.
Mary Hardy b.1877 @ Melplash,Dorset. d.11.12.1877

I think this is where the story of a connection with Thomas Hardy has come from hopefully when I have time for further research I can find a connection.
---------------------

Now I have already found some information from FreeBMD on the children.
Mary Hardy was born and died in December 1877. Records in Beaminster.
Florence Hardy born in September 1874. Records in Beaminster.

My family tree is on my website at http://www.paynefamilyonline.com

Please feel free to contact me via the web site email address.

Carrie Meerten
22-09-2007, 12:45 PM
1851 England Census

Civil Parish: Litton Cheney
County/Island: Dorset

Street address: Coombe Dy House (Dairy??)

Registration district: Bridport
Sub-registration district: Burton Bradstock
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 95

Household Members: Name Age
Ann Hardy 45, wife, married, dairywoman, bp Piddletrenthide, Dorset
Ann Hardy 8, dau, bp Burton, Dorset
George Hardy 12, son, dairyboy, bp Broadwinsor, Dorset
John Hardy 46, Head, Married, Dairyman, bp Loder Dorset
Mary Hardy 1, dau, bp Powerstock, Dorset
William Hardy 15, son, dairyboy, bp Shipton Gorge, Dorset

Jane Aires