PDA

View Full Version : Website for IGI batch numbers

sueannbowen
26-07-2012, 9:25 AM
A chap called Steve Archer has created a separate database for IGI batch numbers and included some that were not listed by Hugh Wallace. The site is free to use and can be found at www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/. The home page is very helpful with guidance, a map and drop down menus. There is also a useful description of what has changed between the old Familysearch website and that rubbish (my opinion :0 ) new one. The method of selecting and searching specific parishes is very similar to Hugh Wallace and the whole thing is easy to use.

Check it out and see what you think.120

Zen Rabbit
26-07-2012, 9:38 AM
Bookmarked that thanks for the heads up

gasser
26-07-2012, 9:53 AM
The method of selecting and searching specific parishes is very similar to Hugh Wallace and the whole thing is easy to use.

Totally agree ....found it very user friendly. Thanks for the link.

Waitabit
26-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Taa Sue, always room for newies.

MythicalMarian
26-07-2012, 2:19 PM
Thank you SO much for finding this! I had a bunch of baps from the published registers of Nantwich that I just could NOT find again, and I knew I'd indexed them at the time. They're all there again now.

sueannbowen
26-07-2012, 2:28 PM
Thank you SO much for finding this! I had a bunch of baps from the published registers of Nantwich that I just could NOT find again, and I knew I'd indexed them at the time. They're all there again now.

You are most welcome - these things are very frustrating!

Mitch in Notts
26-07-2012, 8:27 PM
If, like me you, are using Internet Explorer, then the county pages take hours to open. The site recommends you click 'tools' then 'compatability view'. I have no idea exactly what this does but it does allow the pages to open speedily.

Mitch

Colin Rowledge
26-07-2012, 9:31 PM
I have I.E.7 - will this new site work with it?

Completely :stupid: when it comes to computers - and almost, everything else - which is why I am reluctant to try it.

Mutley
26-07-2012, 9:38 PM
It is a work in progress but looks really good so far. I like the way it gives you a church or place and the year that the records are available for it. If you are looking for 1860 and it only has 1816 that should save hours.

Sadly, two of the London links are not quite right, one took me to Australia and the other to Germany but Rome wasn't built in day so I will bear with it because I always preferred the Hugh Wallis site for searches and this could be even better.

sueannbowen
26-07-2012, 9:40 PM
I have I.E.7 - will this new site work with it

Give it a try Colin and then let us know! Click and see what happens :biggrin: walk on the wild
side!!

sueannbowen
26-07-2012, 9:43 PM
Sadly, two of the London links are not quite right, one took me to Australia and the other to Germany but Rome wasn't built in day so I will bear with it because I always preferred the Hugh Wallis site for searches and this could be even better.

Mutters dear l wonder if you can let him know about the wibbles - worth a shot.

Mutley
26-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Mutters dear l wonder if you can let him know about the wibbles - worth a shot.

There is a feedback email address so it might be worth letting him know - I am sure a few wibbles would just make his day. :lol:

Colin Rowledge
26-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Give it a try Colin and then let us know! Click and see what happens :biggrin: walk on the wild
side!!

I am too old and too knackered to 'walk on the wild side'.

If I tried and b-----d up my computer, 'boss-lady' aka S.W.M.B.O. wouldn't contribute towards a replacement and there would be one less member [some might :clap:] on B-G.

Pam Downes
27-07-2012, 2:16 AM
There is a feedback email address so it might be worth letting him know - I am sure a few wibbles would just make his day. :lol:
Steve is quite happy to receive feedback about any errors (which may, or may not be, down to him!)

I noticed one parish which was listed in Lincolnshire (but with 'location uncertain' beside it) and found it was actually in Staffordshire. Steve knows that there are others but he just hadn't had time to investigate them all.
There will be updates to the site when any errors he's informed about will be corrected.

Pam

sueannbowen
27-07-2012, 8:31 AM

Haha... it would show him the site is being used and if he is a perfectionist he might want to put it right :winkiss:

Didn't see Pam's response until after posting this - thanks Pam.

DorothySandra
27-07-2012, 9:26 AM
Thank you lots! As a self taught researcher, I potter about through mist and fog much of the time, and this site has clarified much that I found vague.

Mutley
27-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Mind you, I did not make a note of which London Parish entries took me to Australia and Germany.
There are so many of them, I might be gone some time, I'll take a packed lunch. :lol:

sueannbowen
27-07-2012, 2:00 PM
Mind you, I did not make a note of which London Parish entries took me to Australia and Germany.
There are so many of them, I might be gone some time, I'll take a packed lunch. :lol:

Oh that's marvellous Mutters. Exactly what I do :willy_nilly: