PDA

View Full Version : William Henry Middleton

bsage760
18-07-2012, 6:40 PM
I am trying to find information about my grandfather William Henry Middleton born in Dudley in 1874, died in Niagara Falls Ontario Canada 1941. The family story is that he ran away at 14 and joined either the Merchant Marine or Army was sent to India where they discovered his age and sent him home. Later he rejoined the Army and served in the Boer War (1898.) I am guessing he may have joined the Worcestershire Volunteers but am not sure. Any information we could find would be helpful.

olliecat
18-07-2012, 6:57 PM
I posted the followiing information on your introductory thread and will post the same information here. :smile:

There are military records for an William Henry Middleton, born abt. 1872 in Dudley who attested in 1892, age 18 and 3 months. Next of kin section names his father as William with an address for him in Hampshire. However, William enlisted again in 1904 and was discharged in 1908, so that doesn't tie in with emigrating to Canada in 1905 (as you mentioned in your introductory thread.)

What was the name of William's father?

LittleSpark
19-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Didn't know where to put this info - on your introductory thread or here so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

FreeBmd/West Midlands Bmd show William Middleton married Louisa Insull SQ 1873 - St. Martin, Tipton.
Unfortunately Tipton records are not held at Dudley but at Sandwell MB in Smethwick.

1881 RG11/1217/56/49 - 9 Hunts Rd. St. Mary Extra, Hampshire (copyright- TNA)
Wm. Middleton - Head - 27 - Bolt/Screw/Nut Maker - born America.

Louisa - Wife - 27 - born Dudley
Wm. - Son - 6 - born Dudley.
Edith - Dau - 3 - Darleston, Staffs.
Louisa - Dau - 0 - Woolston, Hampshire.
Nelly Insall - Visitor - 3 - Hanley Potteries, Staffs.
Henry Middleton - Boarder - 21 - Dudley.

So it would seem that William Henry's father, William was born in America.

Hope this helps.

Sheila

olliecat
19-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Better posted here than on the introductory thread Sheila. :smile5:

The marriage you have mentioned for William Middleton and Louisa Insull has been transcribed thus on Family Search...

groom's name: William Middleton
groom's birth date: 1854
groom's age: 19
bride's name: Lousia Insull
bride's birth date: 1854
bride's age: 19
marriage date: 07 Jul 1873
marriage place: Tipton, Stafford, England
groom's father's name: William Middleton
bride's father's name: Henry Insull

The fact that you have found this family living in Hampshire bodes well for the William Henry Middleton whose military records mention various addresses in Hampshire, although not Hunts Rd. One address was Beverley Obelisk Road, Woolston (this was in 1904 I think, when he attested for the second time.) When he attested in 1892, the address recorded in the next of kin section was Church Rd, Woolston, Southampon, Hants. This was crossed out and replaced with the address 25 Glebe Road (Chapel?) Southampton.

BTW: his occupation was described variously as plater and plates (ship building.)

Edit: added last part.

LittleSpark
19-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks olliecat - never thought to look on family search for marriage!

Sheila

bsage760
20-07-2012, 3:19 AM
I posted the followiing information on your introductory thread and will post the same information here. :smile:

There are military records for an William Henry Middleton, born abt. 1872 in Dudley who attested in 1892, age 18 and 3 months. Next of kin section names his father as William with an address for him in Hampshire. However, William enlisted again in 1904 and was discharged in 1908, so that doesn't tie in with emigrating to Canada in 1905 (as you mentioned in your introductory thread.)

What was the name of William's father?

William Henry's father's name was William however William Henry was born in 1877 and married Eliza Anne Goater in Ontario in 1907. There are quite a number of William Henry's in the Dudley area and it can become very confusing. Thank you for all of your work.:icon_bs:

bsage760
20-07-2012, 3:23 AM
Thank you for the information. It added greatly to our information about William Henry Middleton. I was aware that his Dad was born in Philadelphia and listed as a British subject. As near as I can tell his Dad and Mom both worked on board a ship that had travelled to that port. Both of them are listed a crew on a ship. However this is an assumption based on crew records and the fact that William Sr. never lived in the States.

Regards,
Carol-Ann

bsage760
20-07-2012, 3:34 AM
Thank you so much. I believe that you have found him. The plater and plates as well as bolts maker syncs nicely with his occupation in Niagara Falls Ontario. He worked for Cyanamide as an engineer and created the ovens utilized by that company until it closed in the late 1980's. I can't tell you how welcome the information is--I will forward it to my husband.

Regards,
Carol-Ann