PDA

View Full Version : Eliza Carney

Ann AW
15-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for Eliza CARNEY born c1840, her father was James CARNEY.

Eliza married James COLEBOURN in Manchester Cathedral in JANUARY 1861 aged 20, on her marriage certificate her father is named as James CARNEY his occupation was a Moulder, and Eliza was living in Regent Road, Salford.

I am hoping that some kind person could do a look up for me on the 1841 or 1851 census of Manchester or Manchester Cathedral baptism records? On the 1881 census she is from Manchester, but as I have discovered that statement is not always true, and by 1891 she had died as her husband was a widower.

I have checked the FREEBMD, Lancashire BMD, Ancestory.com and 1837 online but can't find her.
Any info very gratefully received, not much to go on I know, but it's all I have,
Ann.
On the marriage cert. Eliza is CARNEY but it may also have been spelled KEARNEY.

uksearch
17-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Hello Ann,

I do not think that she was baptised at Man Cath as it is not on the
IGI.At this time about 99% of events at MAN cath are recorded on the IGI.

UK

Ann AW
21-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply I appreciate it, I'm up againt a monumental brick wall here, I do hope to track Eliza down eventually though.

Ann

Peter Goodey
21-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Ann

In view of uksearch's comments, what exactly does the marriage certificate say? There is both an Anglican and a Roman Catholic cathedral in Manchester.

uksearch
21-12-2004, 1:13 PM
Ann

In view of uksearch's comments, what exactly does the marriage certificate say? There is both an Anglican and a Roman Catholic cathedral in Manchester.

Hi Peter,

The wedding did take place at Manchester Cathedral,I have viewed the PRs.I only doubt that the baptism took place at Man Cath.There is not an RC Cathedral in Manchester,its next door in Salford.

UK

birddog
19-12-2007, 5:54 PM
Hi there,

this is an old thread and so you may have discovered more information since on your own account but i belive Eliza Carney to be the sister of Thomas Carney who was one of the ancestors of my cousin's husband Colin Lamb of Salford.

My brother did the early research on the Carney family and so I will have to check with him for the 1851 census returns but what i have on the family so far is as follows.

mother:

Catherine (unknown) born 1881 ireland
Father unknown
Thomas Carney born 1831 Liverpool
James Carney born 1835 Liverpool
Eliza Carney born 1841 Manchester
Mary Carney born 1843 Salford

There is only the widowed mother on the 1851 census.

I only have the descent (to the present day) of Thomas Carney.

Kindest Regards

Keith Byrne

uksearch
19-12-2007, 6:13 PM
The family looks like it is at HO 107 2181 Folio 585 Page: 75.

UK

birddog
26-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Err - No.

The family that I am thinking of is already in Salford by 1851 and living at 6 Wilkingson's Buildings which is about 100 yards or so north of Regent Road and 200 yards or so east of Oldfield Road. St Bartholomew's Church is on the opposite side of the street.

The reference is

HO/107-2224 folio 250 Pg 33

Eliza's age matches and one of her brother's is called James.

The other brother, Thomas marries Caroline Morris in Manchester Cath. on 11.8.1859. He names his fist born son James also and perhap's someone could look up the marriage and maybe find if his father's name is mentioned. Caroline's father is Charles who Thomas names his second son after.

The widowed Mother, Catherine, is down as a Green Grocer.

The 1851 census return is not part of the water damaged series.

Birddog

uksearch
27-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I only said that it looks like your family;). You obviously know the details better than me|biggrin|.

UK

Ann AW
27-12-2007, 4:35 PM
Hi Keith,

Many thanks for mailing me, I think this is the same Eliza her father was James on her marriage certificate and she was living in Salford. I haven't got any further back with Eliza. |banghead|

I do however remember my grandmother saying that Elizas family came from Liverpool.

I am in the US right now but when I return home I will check my Family Tree program and get back to you.

Thanks again,
Ann

Toronto
27-12-2007, 5:11 PM
Is there a possibility the service was at St Augustines Catholic Chapel, Granby Row near the centre of Manchester?

My catholic relatives (MORRIS/FITZMORRIS and GAFFNEY) came from Knutsford in Cheshire to be married in this chapel in the Febuary of 1855. They settled in Salford around the same time period.

Regards
Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

birddog
28-12-2007, 9:52 PM
Hi Mike,

Carloline Morris who married in Manchester Cathedral to Thomas Carney on the 11th August 1859 came from Plymouth, Devon.

The marriage is on the IGI.

Her father Charles came from St Edmunds, Suffolk but the information came from an LDS source and must be treated with the usual caution.

Keith