PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Levy and Catherine Moses

levy
21-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Hello,

I am new to this forum, I am a New Zealander researching my ancestors who travelled from London to Wellington in the middle of the 19th century.
Joseph and Catherine (1800) had five children - Lipman (1823), Frances (1824), Hannah (1826), Benjamin (1831) and Henry who I can't find! Lipman was at the Jews' Hospital in 1841 and I suspect that Henry was there too....looking for proof of this!

My other ancestors were Lewis Cohen and Elizabeth Lyon(s), Abraham Manoy and Maria Moss (daughter of Philip Moss and Rosetta ?) and the Van staverens.

Obviously Levy is a common name - but if these names ring any bells I would love to hear from you!

Regards

Suzanne

Sue Mackay
21-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Lipman was at the Jews' Hospital in 1841 and I suspect that Henry was there too....looking for proof of this!

The 1841 census Class: HO107; Piece: 713; Book: 12; Civil Parish: Stepney; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: German Jews Hospital; Folio: 4; Page: 2 does show a Henry Levy (aged 13) as well as a Lipman, but there are quite a few Levy entries listed on the page and so I don't know if he's the right one.

levy
21-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi, it could be him but there is no reason to think that it is - other than him not appearing anywhere else! I have been in touch with the archivist at Norwood (which the Jews' Hospital evolved into) and I am hoping he can help.

Cheers

phillip
21-06-2012, 2:06 PM
I see from one NZ site that Lipman Levy 1823-1880 moved to Wellington in 1842 and was a shoe manufacturer and grindery manufacturer. There is no citing of the record for confirming the date of arrival as 1842 but if correct, suggests he was in NZ circa 1842. What was the maiden name of Joseph Levy's wife Catherine? You might want to look at Cemetery and Synagogue Scribes sites plus the JewishGen London Trade Directories to see if you can locate further data on the families. In addition, look at the Cemetery Scribes record for Eliezer Lipman Levy 1812-1894- there is a rootsweb family tree which refers to Henry Levy son of Lipman Levy marrying a Hannah Jones and dying in 1918 Korori. This Henry was born circa 1837 but there maybe family links between the individuals to your lines.
You might want to post further information on the lines so that other researchers can check data.
I note also on British Jewry Archives 2005-2007 -4 responses one of which includes a question about Lipman Levy and cites the 1841 census including the Lipman in the hospital.
Phillip

phillip
21-06-2012, 6:00 PM
Doreen Berger 'The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80' Robert Boyd,1999
has several references to the Van Staveren families in England including the death of the mother of B I Staveren 8/11/1878-18 Little Scarborough St, Goodman'sfields;the move of B Staveren to 50 Doughty St Russell square in 1879;his election as a Representative to the General Council of the Gt.Synagogue 1880;references to his father Isaac Barend Van Steveren; his brothers H Staveren and M Staveren. Isaac Van Staveren celebration of 50 years of marriage in 1876 at 20 St.Mark's Street Goodmansfields- he was 50 years chazan and shochet at Boolsvaard Friesland- his death age 83 in 1878 and Tombstone set in West Ham Cemetery
Phillip

levy
22-06-2012, 5:28 AM
Hi, and thanks for your reply! My Lipman had no children - I know a fair bit about him as he was well known in Wellington. The Henry Levy who married in Hokitika is not his son and I am not aware of them being related - but I will look into this. Karori is in Wellington btw - the main cemetery is there and is around 20 mins from where we live.

Lipman's mother's maiden name was Moses but I am not sure of the source for this, she was born in Hull, Yorkshire around 1800.

Lipman came to wellington via Australia. One interesting thing about him is that he minted his own "traders tokens" in Wellington in the 1850s or so, they can still be found and are quite cool!

I am really keen to find out about Henry Levy (who my have changed his name to Henry Lewis) as he has created a messy hole in my tree!

Thanks

Suzanne

phillip
22-06-2012, 8:14 AM
Happy to help. I saw the Lipman tokens hence my knowing about the date when he arrived in Wellington.
You refer to Henry Levy possibly changing his name to Henry Lewis and would have seen the Morwitch posting I made with the query about Henry Lewis and his relationship to Sophia Morwitch nee Lazarus being named as her nephew. You will also know that Robert and myself are keen to track down the Levy/Lewis/Lawrence. If you have any data which might shed light on these relationships we would be very interested.
By the way, there is an early newspaper record showing the advertisement for J Van Staveren Caledonian Mercury ( Edinburgh) Thurs Nov 7 1822 Issue 15786 which records his as a broker selling Gouda Cheese at 45 Bernard St Edinburgh. There is a marriage in Glasgow 1854 of John Van Staveren to Catherine Budge. Is he one of your lines?
Phillip
Phillip

levy
22-06-2012, 8:39 AM
Different van staverens I think. I did see your Lazerus post and wondered about Henry Lewis. Will put my thinking cap on!