PDA

View Full Version : Big Bill Campbell

Dannemois
15-06-2012, 9:14 PM
Seeking information on music hall & radio performer "Big Bill Campbell" who I am led to believe died during a tour of Ipswich, Suffolk in 1952. Any help appreciated

Mutley
15-06-2012, 11:29 PM
You can see and hear him if you wish. A Canadian who settled in England.
I am sure we can still post You Tube links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqcZpSeXyYQ

Added to the comments is an email address for his grandson.

I can see from rootschat that you have been given his real name of Zeke (Ezekiel ?) Winters

Mutley
15-06-2012, 11:55 PM
I cannot see a death registration for him under any of the variations of his name in 1952 in Suffolk. :sad:

Mutley
16-06-2012, 12:15 AM
I cannot see a death registration for him under any of the variations of his name in 1952 in Suffolk. :sad:

Though maybe there is one..... :smile5:
According to this link where there is lots of information about him
http://
mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=10546

"Clarence Church Campbell is buried in the churchyard at Littlebury on the Cambridgeshire/Essex borders"
so this may be his death registration.
June 1952 age 61 (1891) at Ipswich. 4b/691

Dannemois
16-06-2012, 7:40 AM
If you Google "Big Bill Cambell" (use the inverted commas) there are a lot of results including reference to rootschat. I've not read through them but I'm sure if you read some of the results you'll be able to build a picture of the man.

Hi Graham
Thanks for replying to my post. I have googled extensively and copied all details found; I am interested in the groups girl singer namely "Peggy Bailey" who Bill Campbell married later. Unfortunately there is very little mentioned on her which is why I chose to post here, you never know, a fan, even a relative, just might read my request.
Best regards, Roy

Dannemois
16-06-2012, 7:47 AM
Hi Mutley
I have done the usual, Google, YouTube etc and trying to seek more info. I should have stated though it is the girl singer of his group namely Peggy Bailey who I am most interested and hope that someone, somewhere just might read my request and get in touch. Bill Campbell's real name was Clarench Church Campbell, aka Zeke Winters, aka Big Bill Campbell and likewise Peggy Bailey was named Pearl Williams at birth and I assume Peggy Bailey was her stage name.
Regards, Roy

Mutley
16-06-2012, 3:35 PM
On the mudcat link I gave you, the thread has quite a few entries regarding Peggy from people that knew her and her family.
Several members have given email addresses to make contact regarding both Peggy and Bill. You may be one of the posters.

Children, places she lived, a husband's name and her death date of 24th of December 2004 are given.

There is a death registration for a Peggy Eileen Bailey in Stoke on Trent, Staffs in March 2005.
Birth date is given as 29 Nov 1942. It would depend who registered the death and which name they knew her by.
You may be able to tell if it is her by the birth date though I would have thought this Peggy to be a bit young.

Dannemois
17-06-2012, 1:34 PM
I have read through all the entries on 'mudcat' and I am working my way through the details attempting to locate any relatives. I am very grateful for your help.

Best Regards
Roy

Mutley
17-06-2012, 10:19 PM
There is a death registration for a Peggy Eileen Bailey in Stoke on Trent, Staffs in March 2005.
Birth date is given as 29 Nov 1942. It would depend who registered the death and which name they knew her by.
You may be able to tell if it is her by the birth date though I would have thought this Peggy to be a bit young.

Thinking about it, I don't think this death is your Peggy. In 1942 she was probably 'sweetly' singing away!

Have you tried the online auction sites or old book shops, flea markets. They may have old copies of the Radio Times for sale. I believe Will's cigarettes had 'radio celebrities' albums with pictures and a brief history of the stars.
You never know your luck, she may be one of them.
Possibly old theatre bills or programs may have something. I also know there is a theatrical site, it's pay per view and I cannot remember the name but many members have found their ancestors listed there.

Dannemois
18-06-2012, 6:00 AM
Peggy died 2004
Thanks for all suggestions, much appreciated; something to keep me occupied on a wet day.
Regards, Roy

Mutley
18-06-2012, 5:15 PM
Peggy died 2004
Thanks for all suggestions, much appreciated; something to keep me occupied on a wet day.
Regards, Roy
Don't forget that if she died 24 Dec 2004, the registration may be in the March quarter of 2005.

lewisbeels
05-05-2013, 5:30 PM
Peggy died 2004
Regards, Roy
Peggy Bailey was supposedly linked to my family but I have never found the connection!
Are you still looking for information?
Gill

Colin Rowledge
05-05-2013, 6:28 PM
Peggy Bailey was supposedly linked to my family but I have never found the connection!
Are you still looking for information?
Gill

The original poster hasn't visited since December 2012. May I suggest you send him a private message?

Canadianbrit
16-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Hi Graham
Thanks for replying to my post. I have googled extensively and copied all details found; I am interested in the groups girl singer namely "Peggy Bailey" who Bill Campbell married later. Unfortunately there is very little mentioned on her which is why I chose to post here, you never know, a fan, even a relative, just might read my request.
Best regards, Roy

Dear Roy
Peggy Bailey was adopted by my grandfather William Bailey just before the second world war thus her name change.
She joined a family of five children my mother Catherine Bailey(married name Murphy),William Bailey, Noni Bailey all from mother Nora Bailey(nee McCarthy)and John and Maureen Bailey from his second unmarried partnership with their mother.
They lived in Queensbury in North London at the time.
According to my mum they were a very musical family and used to have musical evenings every weekend after a good cycle to Windsor.
My mum left her dad's home in Queensbury when she was 15 to live with her mother in Campden Town and lost contact with her second family but my uncle Bill kept in contact and told us that Peggy moved to Canada and lived with her family in Ontario.

regards
Karen

christanel
16-07-2020, 8:13 PM
Hi Karen and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.
Roy hasn't visited the forums since December 2014 but hopefully he is still using the same email address as he had back then and will receive notification of your post. It would be a shame for him to miss out on the vital piece of information you have provided and thank you for taking the time to join and provide it.
Sending a private message (pm) is another way to get in touch and you do this by clicking on Roy's avatar and choosing Private message from the drop down menu. However this also relies on the person still using the same email address.
Christina

Dannemois
17-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Hi Karen and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.
Roy hasn't visited the forums since December 2014 but hopefully he is still using the same email address as he had back then and will receive notification of your post. It would be a shame for him to miss out on the vital piece of information you have provided and thank you for taking the time to join and provide it.
Sending a private message (pm) is another way to get in touch and you do this by clicking on Roy's avatar and choosing Private message from the drop down menu. However this also relies on the person still using the same email address.
Christina

Hello Karen
Just to say I have received your message and I need to dig out my files on her before I answer fully and I will get back to you soon.

Dannemois
17-07-2020, 7:06 PM
Hello Karen; Many of my contacts (including my mother) who lived in the same street as young Peggy have since passed away. I say young Peggy but as you will be aware Peggy Bailey was her stage name. I know she was related to the Davies family of Charles Street, Brithdir, in fact Peggy was a niece of Mrs Davies (nee Thomas) and I recall Mrs Davies kept a framed photo of 'Peggy' on her living room wall and she said Peggy's birth name was Margaret Elizabeth Thomas. Mrs Davies also said she married Bill Campbell. I have been told by others that Peggy's mother was Jane Watts; which has left me a little confused. You say Bill Campbell adopted Peggy; were they not married?