PDA

View Full Version : Thirticle/Thirtikle

PatMac
22-07-2005, 7:20 PM
Have a new name for you, folks. Does anyone have information on the above name and its bearers? I located a marriage record for a George Covell and a Mary Thirtikle dated March 15, 1734. This is a name I've never come across before, though it seems to have been associated with Norfolk families between the mid 1600s and the mid 1700s. Can anyone shed any light in the growing darkness?

Geoffers
22-07-2005, 8:02 PM
Have a new name for you, folks. Does anyone have information on the above name and its bearers? I located a marriage record for a George Covell and a Mary Thirtikle dated March 15, 1734. This is a name I've never come across before, though it seems to have been associated with Norfolk families between the mid 1600s and the mid 1700s. Can anyone shed any light in the growing darkness?THIRKITLE, THIRKETTLE et var. occurs quite frequently in Norfolk. It's quite possible that it may also be abbreviated to THIRKLE and THIRTLE.

Whereabouts in Norfolk was the marriage?

There was a George + Mary THIRKETTLE recorded as having children in Neatishead in the 1740's.

Geoffers

PatMac
26-07-2005, 12:54 AM
THIRKITLE, THIRKETTLE et var. occurs quite frequently in Norfolk. It's quite possible that it may also be abbreviated to THIRKLE and THIRTLE.

Whereabouts in Norfolk was the marriage?

There was a George + Mary THIRKETTLE recorded as having children in Neatishead in the 1740's.

Geoffers
George Covell and Mary Thirtikle were married in North Walsham, according to the IGI. It's possible they then settled in Neatishead, and any children were born there. Another researcher has surmised that only one or two of their many children survived to adulthood, including a son born @ 1746, also named George, who is believed to have married a Sarah Farrow, in 1771 in Swanton Abbott, then begun to raise a family in Felmingham. Their third child Benjamin was born in 1777, and oddly enough is the only person in my very extended family who actually shares a birthday with me, July 26th! I guess that may explain why I have a re-surgence of interest in my Covell forbears around this time of year, even though Benjamin and I were born 164 years apart.

Thanks to the staff at B-G Forums for the birthday message, I'd like to extend my good wishes to everyone born on July 26 of ANY year. Cheers!!

Geoffers
26-07-2005, 9:02 AM
George Covell and Mary Thirtikle were married in North Walsham, according to the IGI. It's possible they then settled in Neatishead, and any children were born there.
I've had a brief scan through North Walsham ATs up to 1741, no trace of any COVELL baptisms, so it would seem that the couple may have moved from the parish after marriage.

a son born @ 1746, also named George, who is believed to have married a Sarah Farrow, in 1771 in Swanton Abbott, then begun to raise a family in Felmingham.
From Neatishead Parish Register - 1746
(fiche 1, line 3, frame 9 - right page, inserted entry 4th line of entries for the year)

"George COVEL ye son of George & Mary COVEL baptd July 26th."

From Swanton Abbott ATs - 1771/2
(Fiche 2, line 2, frame 1 - 2nd marriage for year)

"George COVELL and Sarah FARROW by banns Oct: 13th"

Geoffers

PatMac
02-08-2005, 8:01 PM
Many thanks for the confirmatory extracts from the parish records, and ATs, with the sources. Your efforts are much appreciated by the small group of family members who are researching the Covells in Norfolk.

PatMac

Sue Mackay
24-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Someone may be interested in a letter I have just transcribed as part of my project to transcribe the correspondence of all those who applied for the Government emigration scheme to the Cape of Good Hope between July and December 1819 (the so called 1820 settlers). Most who applied did not get to go but their letters paint a wonderful picture of the time and contain a lot of genealogical information. The correspondence is at
http://www.genealogyworld.net/settlers/correspondence/index.html

The following letter can be found at the National Archives in Kew in CO48/46, page 82

No.6 Merritts Building
Sun Street
Bishopsgate
Sir,
I have taken the liberty of sending a line beging the of your goodness and favour to send me to the Land of the Cape of good hope for my trade is very bad a young man 25 yrs haveing a wife and one son and should be very glad to go with any and the first that is going
Sir I am your humble and most obedient servant
Robert THIRKETTLE

He wasn't accepted as a settler. There is a Robert THIRKETTLE of the right age in Shoreditch in 1841, a tailor, who in 1851 is back in his home county of Norfolk

Pam Downes
30-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Might not be any connection but there's some Thirtles in Itteringham graveyard.
http://www.itteringham.com/churchyard-survey/churchyard-survey.html
Scroll to bottom of page for a search-the-site box, and find extra info.
Pam