PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Forum Index?

Prussian
27-04-2012, 5:09 PM
I'm a new member and having difficulty locating a list of forums to which I may choose to take part.

It probably doesn't help that I'm working from a Notebook screen which makes navigating any website challenging!

Sue Mackay
27-04-2012, 5:17 PM
Scroll up to the top of the page (to the right of the tree) and click on Forum

This lists the main categories. The listings may be collapsed, in which case click on the http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/buttons/collapse_40b.png button to the right of the red category headings. This should then list all the forums in that category.

Sue Mackay
27-04-2012, 5:24 PM
I should also have said that if there is a Forum that you are particularly interested in, you can go to that forum and then click on Forum Tools on the red banner just above the list of threads. This gives you an option to "Subscribe to this Forum". Once you have done this, each time you log on you can go to Quick Links at the top and click on UserCP. This will not only tell you if there have been any replies to your posts (you are automatically subscribed to those threads) but will also list your subscribed forums, so you can both find them easily and see if there have been any new posts.

dian
04-07-2013, 4:41 AM
I'm a new member too. I don't know whatever happened to pencil, paper, stamp and envelope!!
These new fangdangled machines!! Anyway, I tried to introduce myself and the box disappeared. Then noticed that's not the place to type in names I'm looking for. Don't know if I inadvertently pressed a wrong button or Britgen cancelled it because I had done the wrong thing. Did you get my intro?

christanel
04-07-2013, 7:32 AM
Hello dian and welcome to Brit-Gen

I can't see a post by you. I searched using dian as your user name.

When you have chosen the forum you want to post on click on new thread, type your info in the box and then be sure to click on "Submit reply." If you are editing a post then when finished click on "Save." You have about 10 minutes to edit a post before it is automatically locked.

To see if it worked, instead of clicking on the browser back arrow you can either click on "what's new" at the RH top of the page or 'Today's Posts' LH side on the blue bar just above the Forces war records green bar.

This is what I do but the other Mods will come along and give you some better advice I bet. :yes:

I just thought I would let you know you weren't being ignored.:biggrin5:

Christanel

dian
10-07-2013, 5:32 AM
Thanks Christanel. I'm lost. Now I can't find how I get back into Hodgson name you recently put in Yorks general? Do I have to go through the forums list again as I did when i subscribed? to get back to 'my' spot? di

Sue Mackay
10-07-2013, 10:07 AM
You can either click on your user name in this thread and then click View Forum Posts, and it will show you all the posts you have made, with the most recent first. Alternatively, when logging on to the forum, click Quick Links on the blue banner at the top and choose Subscribed Threads.

christanel
10-07-2013, 9:48 PM
Hi dian
I am nowhere near as savvy as Sue when it comes to the intricacies of using the Brit-Gen forums.

If, like me, you are on Brit-Gen everyday and logged in then you can try doing what I do which is to click on 'Today's Post' on the LH end of the blue bar. All the latest posts show up and those you have contributed to, or started, will have a green tick next to your name.
If you just want to see if any new posts are on the forums since your last visit then click on 'What's new' at the very top of the page RH side.

Now I am going to go and practice Sue's suggestions. :smile:

Christanel