PDA

View Full Version : Doe Family Research

AliWill
06-04-2012, 3:50 PM
Hi Everybody,this is My first post and I would First Like to say it is Lovely to be with You All.What I would Like to ask,is can Anyone help Me with My Family Research,by giving Me any Information on My Great Grandfather William Doe.He was born in 1878,at Thorney Hill Hampshire,He had a Brother named Henri and was Married to Edith,I think Her maiden Name was Pitman.I have been told that He owned the Site known as New England,which I believe was at East Howe,Bournemouth.I know there has been a big Doe Family connection wih Alton in Hampshire,but I do not know if that is another branch of the Family ,or if there is a connection.I would be Very Grateful for any Information Supplied,Thanking You All in Anticipation.Kind Regards

janbooth
07-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't know if you have any census records, but in case not William and wife Edith are in the 1901 census of Holdenhurst, Hampshire:

RG13/1038, folio 89, page 14
In a Tent on Holdenhurst Common

William DOE Head M 23 Licensed Hawker Hants Thorney Hill
Edith do Wife M 22 do do
William do Son S 3 do Bransgore

The 1911 census shows them in East Howe, Dorset with additional children John & George. They are shown to have been married 14 years and had 6 children, three of whom are still living.

1891 census of Bransgore, Hampshire (RG12/907, folio 109, page 14) shows William living with parents John, aged 45, General Labourer, born Devon & Louisa, aged 36 born Hythe, Hants and siblings Alfred 17, Job 13 (who is living next door to William in the 1901 census), Mary? 11, Harriet 7, John? 9, Bertie 5, Annie 3 & Edith 3 months. The question marked names are because half of their names are obliterated in the census record.

I can't find the family in the 1881 census at the moment - perhaps they were travelling but I will keep looking. I also cannot find an appropriate marriage registration for William & Edith but, as they were travellers, their marriage was probably not registered.

Janet

Cenus records courtesy TNA

georgiep
07-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Welcome aboard

Tinam

Mutley
07-04-2012, 2:43 PM
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know if you have seen this website, it mentions the New England site but says it was common land.
http://
westhowe.net/#/west-howe-gypsy-heritage/4544803920

If you click on the link to Ray Wells website there is lots of interesting Roma information.

Mutley
07-04-2012, 3:01 PM
I don't know if you have any census records, but in case not William and wife Edith are in the 1901 census of Holdenhurst, Hampshire:

Edith do Wife M 22 do do

Job (who is living next door to William in the 1901 census),
Janet

There are three tents of Doe families,
William, Edith and son William.
Job and Jane with children Mary, John H. and Amelia
Henry and Patience with children Alice, Patience and Henry.

Might be able to track one of the other families in 1881 to see if they were close by.

janbooth
08-04-2012, 12:38 PM
A bit more information on Job & Jane DOE:

IGI Family Search has the baptism of 2 of their children, John Henry DOE on 2 May 1897 at Talbot Village, Dorset parents Job & Jane Sabina and Milly on 10 September 1899 at Selborne, Hampshire parents Job & Jane. There is a Family Tree on Ancestry for Job/Jack DOE which states he married Jane Sabina JEFF in the June qtr 1895 at Christchurch reg district. It also gives details of his father but this leads back to a John DOE married to a Mary who was born c1842 at Alton, Hampshire living in a Gypsy Tent in Stratfieldsaye, Hampshire, according to the 1881 census, with children Frank aged 11, Job aged 8 and Harry aged 7 so am unsure as to whether this is the same John DOE I found in the 1891 census.

Henry and Patience DOE are in the 1911 census of Poole in the parish of Kinson in a Gypsy Encampment together with children Alice, Patience, Henry, Liberty, Nelson & William. Alice & Patience were born in Basingstoke, Henry in Surrey and sons Liberty, Nelson & William in Bucks. They have been married 16 years and had 8 children, 7 of whom are still alive. Family Search has the baptism of a George DOE on 17 August 1908 at Odiham Hampshire, parents Henry & Patience. It looks as if Henry & Patience remained in Kinson as daughter Patience married a John COOPER on 5 August 1918 (full details on Ancestry Dorset marriages).

The John & Louisa DOE I found in the 1891 census of Bransgore are in Sopley in the 1911 census. John is shown as aged 69, Farm Labourer, born Wimborne, Dorset as is wife Louisa shown as aged 49. Living with them are son Joby aged 27, single, born Bransgore?, daughter Edith aged20, single, born Liphook?, daughter Nell, aged 18, single, born Petersfield?, daughter Rose, aged 16, single, born Sopley? and grand daughter Queenie, aged 1, born Christchurch?. John & Louisa have been married 28 years, had 12 children ten of whom are still living. I am not sure how this Joby fits in with the Job DOE I found in Holdenhurst in the 1901 census who is married to Jane nor with the Job who is living with John & Louisa in the 1891 census - ages do not seem to fit nor places of birth.

I can't find Job & Jane in the 1911 census, however, so I am not sure whether any of this helps you at all or merely confuses the matter further and I still cannot find any of them in the 1881 census with any certainty.

Obtaining the marriage certificate of Job & Jane might help you as it should give some details of Job's father & his occupation which might clarify which John DOE is which. If you have an Ancestry subscription, you could also contact the owner of the Tree I mentioned earlier.

Janet

Census records courtesy TNA

Coromandel
09-04-2012, 6:29 AM
The Romany Genes website is packed with information, including details from many BMD certificates. Here is the page with birth certificates for surnames beginning with 'D':

romanygenes.webeden.co.uk/#/certs-bmd-d-birth/4534011348

There are births there for Job Doe (3 May 1872, Hampton, Middlesex) and Henry Doe (20 May 1874, Stratfieldsaye, Hants), sons of John Doe, basket maker, and Mercy (Lee). (Unfortunately there's not one for a William Doe with the same parents.)

Also see this page (first entry in right-hand column) for the 1871 census transcript for John Doe (23, basket maker, born Alderbourne, Hampshire) and Mercy Lee (19, hawker and pedler, born Seneham, Berkshire) with a 9 month old son Francis Doe (b. Walton, Surrey) at St Mary Bourne, Hampshire:

romanygenes.webeden.co.uk/#/18611871-census/4522533901

(ref. RG 10/1238, f.38, p.9). A note by the transcriber says 'New Barn Down, camped with Gallin (Goliath) Doe & Mary Ann Draper)'.

janbooth
09-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Well found, Coromandel, and what a fascinating site which I have now bookmarked! So, it looks as if Job & Henry could be the children of the John & Mary? DOE I found in Stratfieldsaye in the 1881 census, but in that case who does William belong to? Although, having said that, from the same site is the baptism on 4 August 1879 at Yateley of William DOE, parents William & Louisa nee SMITH, Gypsy and a baptism on 15 September at Binsted of Job DOE son of John & Louisa, Basket Maker which fits in with the family I found at Bransgore in the 1891 census - but no Henry baptised to this couple. Could it be that Louisa & Mercy SMITH are one and the same person or that Mercy died and John married Louisa (perhaps Mercy's sister?). No, the latter suggestion cannot be correct as John & Louisa had a child Mary Ann baptised on 1 September 1872. I wonder if they are one and the same family as John seems to vary between William & John and Mercy between Mercy & Louisa but the two never seem to overlap. I can't find a John & Louisa in the census records prior to 1891 but there is a John & Mercy (or Mary) in the 1871 & 1881 census records who then seem to disappear. More research needed to prove this speculation!

William & Edith's children also appear on the site that Coromandel has found, so should prove invaluable to you in your research.

Janet

AliWill
09-04-2012, 3:25 PM
To Love and be Loved is to feel the Sun from Both Sides.Hi Janet Thank You So much For Your Time and effort,and the Information was Fantastic.Kind regards Phil.

Edith do Wife M 22 do do

The 1911 census shows them in East Howe, Dorset with additional children John & George. They are shown to have been married 14 years and had 6 children, three of whom are still living.

1891 census of Bransgore, Hampshire (RG12/907, folio 109, page 14) shows William living with parents John, aged 45, General Labourer, born Devon & Louisa, aged 36 born Hythe, Hants and siblings Alfred 17, Job 13 (who is living next door to William in the 1901 census), Mary? 11, Harriet 7, John? 9, Bertie 5, Annie 3 & Edith 3 months. The question marked names are because half of their names are obliterated in the census record.

I can't find the family in the 1881 census at the moment - perhaps they were travelling but I will keep looking. I also cannot find an appropriate marriage registration for William & Edith but, as they were travellers, their marriage was probably not registered.

Janet

AliWill
09-04-2012, 3:38 PM
Hi Mutley.Thank You So Much for the Information it was Fantastic.Really enjoyed the Website.Kind Regards Phil

Coromandel
09-04-2012, 7:36 PM
It's fascinating looking at these very mobile people and trying to work out the connections . . . not so easy when they don't go through formal marriage ceremonies, so we don't have have that bit of paper giving fathers' names, and wives are sometimes listed by their husband's surname but sometimes under their maiden name.

I see that there's a very long thread on another forum about the Doe family:

http://www.
rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,341057.0.html

I haven't read all 10 pages to see if your Does are mentioned, Phil, but there are certainly references to Goliath Doe and his numerous offspring, among them Ocean Doe. (What wonderful names! I do wish I had some ancestors with names like that.)

janbooth
10-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes, it does put to shame George SMITH son of John son of John son of Richard, doesn't it! I got hooked with Romanies when helping another Forum member research her several Romany lines and it proved fascinating if very elusive. Good luck with the rest of your research, Phil, and if we can help further do not hesitate to ask.

Janet

miklejon
25-06-2016, 3:02 PM
Dear All,
You should be proud of your name whatever it is.My family name is DOE, I have several ancestors with names like Ocean Job, Goliath.etc
Can ask for help.I am doing my family tree and have got s to 1725 Francis Doe.Has anyone got any idea who his father was,the nearest I have got is 1709 that means his father was about 16 when he was born.
Thank you,
Michael Doe

janbooth
26-06-2016, 9:43 AM
Can you give us a bit more background information about your family tree, Michael, such as where did your Francis DOE hail from and how you managed to trace him back. The more information you can give us, the easier it should be to trace them - theoretically at least!!

Janet

miklejon
26-06-2016, 6:44 PM
HI Janet,
thanks for your letter. My Francis Doe was born in 1791 and was married to Elizabeth. He was born in Wimbledon Surrey. His father was also called Francis and was born about 1725 his wife was called Ann (Robertson/Robinson)
I cant find any details about father his dates must be about 1680/1700.
Michael

janbooth
27-06-2016, 3:53 PM
Right, I can find the marriage at Mortlake on 10 August 1765 of a Francis DOE & an Ann ROBERTSON. So far so good. I can then find a baptism at Bramley, Surrey on 29 June 1766 of a Francis son of Francis DOE and a baptism at East Clandon, Surrey on 19 February 1769 of a Thomas son of Francis & Ann DOE - source Ancestry's Surrey Parish Registers. However, so far I have been unable to find the baptism at Wimbledon c1791 of a Francis son of Francis & Ann DOE. Can you tell me how you obtained this baptismal record for Francis, please, and the dates of the baptisms of Francis & Elizabeth's children. That might enable me to trace him more easily.

Janet

miklejon
29-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Hi Janet,
Please can you tell where I can obtain BMDs prior to 1700 or any other ways to find out people's parents.I am working on your last letter I will contact you soon
Michael

janbooth
29-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Hi Michael,

You have to look at parish register records of baptisms, marriages and burials prior to when registration began in September 1837. This can get more difficult the further back you go and unless the particular parish registers you require are online, you probably have to go to the appropriate record office or order them in to view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre. Wills are another good source of information, always assuming your ancestors were wealthy enough to have something to leave! Many Record Offices/Archives also have online catalogues which again can be a good source of information. The website FreeReg have many transcriptions of parish register records as does Family Search website and Family Search are in the process of putting actual parish registers online, but this is definitely work in progress. Ancestry and FindmyPast (both subscription websites) have certain parish register images online and many Family History Societies sell parish register transcription cds and can have online catalogues. Really, it is a question of searching online for the particular parishes you are interested, in to see what is available. Janet

miklejon
30-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Hi Janet,
Francis Doe(son of Francis senior) was born in 1758,died in 1843, but was christened in 1769 aged 11.
Still working on the rest speak soon.
Michael

miklejon
01-07-2016, 2:01 PM
HI Janet
For Francis Doe read FRANES Doe christening date read 1766 making age at christening 8
Michael

miklejon
03-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Hi Janet,
Here are the details I promised you
Michael
Generation 1.

Francis Doe 1725
Married
Ann Robertson 1765 Married in 1765 in Mortlake Surrey

SON Francis Doe 1758-1843
SON Thomas born 1769 Ref L5ZD-14F
SON William born 1771 Ref L5ZD-T1R
Daughter Charlotte born 1775 Ref L5ZG-QG3N

Generation 2

Francis Doe 1758-1843
Married
Elizabeth Etherton Ref L5Z6-JPC Married on December 1st 1806 Surrey

janbooth
04-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi Michael,

Your dates do not seem to add up. If Francis DOE who married Elizabeth ETHERTON on 1 December 1806 at Stoke D'Abernon was the son of Francis DOE & Ann ROBERTSON he is unlikely to have been born in 1758 unless he was the son of a previous marriage. What makes you think he was born in 1758 and not c1766 when he was baptised as there is nothing on the parish register to indicate he was 8 years old when baptised?

Trying to trace Francis & Elizabeth DOE forward from the time of their marriage, I can find a baptism at Stoke D'Abernon on 6 April 1806 of a Louisa (born 22 March), daughter of Francis & Elizabeth DOW (which is before they married) and another on 26 June 1808 of an Amelia (born 11 June), daughter of Francis & Elizabeth DOE. I can find the marriages of both Louisa DOE to Charles DIBLEY on 7 July 1827 in Basingstoke & Amelia DOE to Thomas CULLIMORE on 30 June 1828 at Willesden St Mary when the witnesses were Louisa & Charles DIBLEY.

Thomas & Amelia CULLIMORE are in the 1841 census of Peasemore, Berkshire (HO107/16/20, folio 9, page 12) together with children Amelia, Maria, John, Emily & Charles.

Louisa & Charles DIBLEY are in the 1851 census of Ellisfield, Hampshire together with niece Emily CULLIMORE.

I can find a Francis & Ann DOE in the 1841 census of Basingstoke, he being shown as aged 65 and a Sweep, born in the county of Hampshire and Ann as aged 70, not born in the county of Hampshire, but he is the only Francis DOE I can find in the 1841 census. I can find a burial of an Elizabeth DOE at Basingstoke on 17 September 1825, aged 66 and a marriage at Basingstoke on 3 November 1828 of a Francis DOE & Ann JONES, both widowed. Followed by a death registration in 1843 of a Francis DOE at Basingstoke. is this your Francis DOE and if so do you have his death registration?

Janet

miklejon
16-07-2016, 6:12 PM
Hi Janet
Sorry for the delay. The only burial details I can find are the same ones you have, the details of are"England and Wales Death Registration index 1837-2007" Francis is registered as Franes and his dates are 1758-1843 Thank you.
Michael:taz:

miklejon
16-07-2016, 6:14 PM
HI janet
I did look for a kangaroo but couldn't find one (my son lives in Australia
Mike