PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Chapman of Chilton

Jillianiris
19-07-2005, 7:24 PM
Does anyone have information about Thomas Chapman, born in Chilton Wilts, c.1822. Wife Mary(nee Ball) born c.1833, Burbage Wilts.
They moved to Marlow in Buckinghamshire where Thomas was a shepherd on the Bisham Abbey estate. I know of their son James who married Clara Stroud, first child Kate Elizabeth and her offspring. Kate was brought up by Thomas and Mary though later siblings stayed with their parents.
Jill

DebbieAnn
19-07-2005, 9:46 PM
In 1861 Thomas (age 36) and his wife Mary Jane (age 27) were living at No. 1 Liddiarde (Y?), Upton-cum-Chalvey, Buckinghamshire. His occupation is listed as labourer. No children.
By 1871 they had two children, James (age 9, b: Slough, Buckinghamshire) and Eliza (age 6, b: Pumpkins Hill, Buckinghamshire). Thomas is 48, Mary Jane is 37, and they live at Pumpkins Hill (near Burnham Beeches), Burnham, Buckinghamshire. He is a game keeper.
In 1881 Thomas and Mary J. were living in Temple Lodge, Bisham, Berkshire, with son George T. age 9 b: East Burnham and granddaughter Kate E. age 2 b: Marlow. Occupations are: ag. labourer, lodge keeper, scholar, and labourer's daughter.
In 1891 Thomas and Mary J. were living at Temple Middle Lodge in Bisham, Berkshire along with George T. and Kate E., listed as son and daughter, aged 19 b: East Burnham and 12 b: Greater Marlow, respectively. Thomas' place of birth is listed as Chilton Folliat - his age is 68. Mary J's age is 56. He is a general labourer, Mary is a lodge keeper, George is a gardener, Kate is a scholar.

Hope this helps,

Debbie

DebbieAnn
19-07-2005, 10:18 PM
In 1881, James (19, b: Gt. Marlow) was married to Clara (22, b: Berkshire) and living on Deane (?) Street, Marlow, with their infant son Frederick, 5 days old. He is a gen labourer.
In 1891, James (age 29, b: Slough) and Clara (age 32, b: Gt. Marlow) are living on Chapel Street, Great Marlow with children Frederick (10), Laura (7), Edith (4), and George (2), and Clara's brother James Stroud (age 39), all b: Gt. Marlow. Occupations are: Shepperd Agri Labourer for James Chapman and gen labourer for James Stroud.
By 1901, James (age 39, b: stroud) was living in Bisham, Berkshire at Bradenham Cottage, with Clara (43, Gt. Marlow) with children George (12), Horace (9), Herbert (6), all b: Gt. Marlow, and Archie (2, b: Bisham). James is a 'shepherd on farm'.

In 1901, George (29) was married to Mary (26) and living with their daughter Dorothy (1) and Mary's mother Emily Cooper (48) in Twickenham, Middlesex, in Poplar Cottage. He was a domestic gardener.

in 1901, Frederick (20) and Emily (25) his wife were boarding on Chapel Street in Gt. Marlow, along with Thomas and Ann Stroud (his uncle and aunt?) at the home of John Janes and his wife Harriet.

Debbie :)

Jillianiris
20-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks DebbieAnn,
I'm grateful for the detail. I'm one of Kate Elizabeth's 20 grandchildren, so know she was the granddaughter of Thomas and Mary J. not the daughter.
Jill

DebbieAnn
21-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Just a thought -

My grandfather had a brother whose wife died shortly after the birth of a daughter, so he asked my gr-grandparents to raise her. My gr-grandmother, fearful that her son would remarry and take back a child she had come to think of as her own daughter, agreed to raise her only if the son would allow her to adopt the little girl, which he did. So their granddaughter was also their daughter.

Something to think about, perhaps?

Debbie

Jillianiris
23-07-2005, 7:53 PM
I think my first reply got lost so apologies if I repeat myself.
No, this idea hadn't occurred to me. Intriguing. It would solve the family puzzle of why Kate was not reared with her siblings (though they always reckoned she got the better deal, I'm told).
When you write of 'my grandfather/my greatgrandmother,' are you writing about this family in particular?
I'm grateful for the new idea.
Jill

DebbieAnn
24-07-2005, 4:29 AM
Jill,

I was speaking of an actual incident in my own family, involving the daughter of my mother's father's brother and my mother's father's mother. In my case, the girl, now grown, is both my first cousin once removed and my great aunt, and lives in the States with her husband.

The parallel, however, did occur to me with regard to your family history as a similar possibility.

Debbie