PDA

View Full Version : horncastle 1841/1851 census

pejay
18-07-2005, 2:20 PM
can anyone help please if they have access to horncastle1841/1851 census?
i am looking for george parkinson, born wainfleet, lincs 1819, he was a groom/ostler when he married in1837,but later had a variety of jobs, he married a sarah elley from kirkstead she was born 1810.

Procat
19-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi Pejay,

A search of the Horncastle 1841 census from Archive CD Books did not find your Parkinsons.

pejay
19-07-2005, 11:54 AM
hi,
thanks for replying, how very odd, i have them on the census returns for 1861,1871 and also 1881.All at horncastle. I know they married in 1837 at horncastle but their first born child was born at boston,then the others at horncastle.george parkinson himself was born in wainfleet. near boston in 1819 and died 1895, mind you i couldn't find him on the 1891 census either, perhaps they were living elsewhere in 1841/51 ? or maybe they just did not bother to fill in the form, but i understand that sometimes pages are missing? looks like it is back to the drawing board for me.

Procat
19-07-2005, 12:01 PM
If the first child was born in Boston they may well have been there in 1841 - but too big to search (unless it was my own family of course). :)

If you can wait I suspect that Ancestry is not far off completing the 1851 census index which may help.

pejay
19-07-2005, 2:16 PM
hi,
thanks for your help, i have had some census returns off ancestry so i will look when 1851 is available not sure what else to do.

Pam Downes
19-07-2005, 6:55 PM
hi,
thanks for your help, i have had some census returns off ancestry so i will look when 1851 is available not sure what else to do.
Hi pejay,
Can you not get to Lincoln Central Library? They have the census indexes plus the census. All except two, and I can never remember which two. (Must be two years since I last went, so I do have an excuse!) I have a feeling that it's 1851 and 1881 census which are at the Archives in St Rumbold Street, but the indexes are probably only at the Library. It's always best to book a seat to view the census regardless of whether it's Archives or Library. At the Library some of the indexes are on fiche, some in booklets, and some of the census are on film and some on fiche.
Staff at both places are extremely helpful.
If you go to Archives you will need a reader ticket.
http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/index.asp?docId=34806
Library web site
http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section.asp?catId=7241

(Just clicked on the 'research' link on the library page , then 'local studies and family history' and it seems that they now have all the census, but I would double-check.)

Pam Downes

pejay
20-07-2005, 3:13 PM
hi there pam,
thanks for your help, i do go to lincoln once in a blue moon, so i could perhaps get myself organised and book a reader at the lincoln central library, i don't suppose i can do it online from my computer. :)

Pam Downes
21-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Sorry pejay,
I assumed that because you list your location as 'Lincoln' that you live there. So alternative sources for the Horncastle census. Horncastle Library.
http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/libraryDetails.asp?library=NE1
LDS FHC, but you will have to order in the film you want to view. To find your local FHC (if not known)
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp
Alternatively, if London's handy, then the Family Records Centre in Myddelton Street has all census for all years.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/research/thefamilyrecordscentre/index.asp
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc/

Pam Downes

pejay
22-07-2005, 2:41 PM
hi pam, i am not actually close to lincoln town and library but i do go there occasionally, thanks for the websites - they will be very useful

pejay
11-08-2005, 1:20 PM
hi,
i have heard that george parkinson is on the 1841 census as a groom in market rasen [which is relatively close to horncastle - providing you are not walking!] no further info on that one. apparently in 1851 he was working as a labourer in horncastle and was living at a place called 'browns yard' also in horncastle. but i have nothing to verify this.
on the 1891 census [i certainly couldn't find him - i looked a few times] he was working as a groom again, and living at 24b, bull ring horncastle. at the time of his death 4 years later he was working as a foreman in a corn warehouse [they didn't appear to be lucky enough in those days to be able to retire from work at a certain age]

Geoff Everitt
11-08-2005, 3:55 PM
Found him (1851) - my Horncastle index is in two parts and, since there were no Parkinsons in the first part, I thought he wasn't there :o

However
2107/339
Brown's Yard, Horncastle
George PARKINSON 31 Labourer, Wainfleet
Sarah 37 Kirkstead
Mary Ann 12 Scholar, Boston
George 9 Scholar, Horncastle
Sarah 4 Scholar, Horncastle
William ELLEY 40 Kirkstead (deaf and dumb)

I seem to have found one of their children staying with some ELLEYs (including deaf Will perhaps).
646-9/12
Thimbleby
Thomas ELLEY 74 Farmer
Mary 74
William 33 Shoemaker
Mary Ann BROWN 12 Fem Serv
Mary Ann PARKINSON 2

next door but one

Thomas ELLEY 46 Woodman
Maria 40
Eliza 10
Epsebay 8 (Hephzibar perhaps?)
Frederick 6
Alford 4 (male)
Everet 2 (male)
Martham 6m (female)

Pam Downes
11-08-2005, 4:22 PM
hi,
i have heard that george parkinson ........on the 1891 census [i certainly couldn't find him - i looked a few times] he was working as a groom again, and living at 24b, bull ring horncastle. at the time of his death 4 years later he was working as a foreman in a corn warehouse [they didn't appear to be lucky enough in those days to be able to retire from work at a certain age]
Hi pejay,
It is *very* worthwhile investing in the census surname indexes produced by the Lincs FHS. Their indexing is far superior to that of Ancestry. Horncastle RD 1891 gave me RG12/2598 and folios 70 and 89 for starters. And I think you will find your man if you go for folio 89 page 10. Transcribed as George Parkman, aged 11. :D

Pam Downes

Procat
12-08-2005, 9:50 AM
hi,
i have heard that george parkinson is on the 1841 census as a groom in market rasen [which is relatively close to horncastle - providing you are not walking!] no further info on that one.

Hi Pejay,

No trace in 1841 in Market Rasen, Middle Rasen or West Rasen.

Regards,

pejay
12-08-2005, 12:39 PM
hi there- and thankyou all for looking up info for me - i really appreciate it. the 1851 census is obviously correct, and the 1841 census for thimbleby - thomas elley 74, and mary also 74 are george parkinsons wife sarah - her parents who came from kirkstead, i think that the other elleys next door but one must also be relatives of sarah [perhaps another brother?] - and the mary ann parkinson is george and sarah parkinsons daughter who was born in 1838 in boston. i will keep trying to find george parkinson on the 1841 census. i don't think he was ever in the army. but that could be why both him and his wife are missing in 1841

susan-y
16-03-2008, 1:44 AM
Hi there......
Your Sarah Elley is the sister of my gggrandfather, Thomas Elley. Their parents were Thomas and Mary (Kirk). Thomas and Maria (Taylor) came to Canada in 1846 with some( I'm not sure about the older ones) of their children, including my grgrandmother Harriet who was born in 1844. I would love any information on the ancestors of Maria Taylor, Mary Kirk and the senior Thomas Elley if anyone has anything further.
Thanks everyone...

Sue

susan-y
06-01-2011, 7:33 PM
Hi pejay..

I think I have found George on the 1841 census. There is a George Parkinson working at the same place as George Eley as an ag.labourer.. I think his age is off a bit (actually both of their ages) Sarah had a brother George who as far as I know was the oldest in the family. They are at Mavis Enderby West Fen Allotment, Lincolnshire, England ... would that be near Boston or Hornecastle? They are working for Joseph Cartwright.

Sue

PS..There's a Sarah Parkinson..female servant at the Lincolnshire Lunatic Asylum in 1841... perhaps she worked there?

pejay
27-03-2011, 3:23 PM
Sorry - only found last two posts by accident. Yes I think that is them too on the 1841 census, they were the only one I found. Mavis Enderby is near Spilsby I think - fairly close to the coast.