PDA

View Full Version : SEARCH HELP FAMILY WHEREABOUTS IN RHODESIA

Eviand
16-03-2012, 11:59 PM
I've hit a brick wall tracing distant relatives who married in St. Helier, Jersey in 1960 and who later lived in Rhodesia around 1966. The two individuals are Cornelis Abraham Ligtenstein and Margaret Henderson Cameron (widow of Cedric Rollo Swain). Cornelis Abraham Ligtenstein was born in Sidoardjo, Dutch East Indies (abt 1913) and Margaret Henderson Cameron was born in Esteven, Saskatchewan, Canada (abt 1914).

I'd like, if possible to find out if they continued to live in Rhodesia (and of course did they die there)? Who, where or what can I do to progress this line of research. Does anyone have any pointers? Their resting place remains a mystery (assuming that they both are deceased!).

Eviand

Sue Mackay
17-03-2012, 10:10 AM
If you go to www.familysearch.org and click on Browse Collections, then Africa you will find original images of Zimbabwe death registers 1890-1977 and also Zimbabwe death notices 1904-1976. Might be worth a browse.

Eviand
17-03-2012, 1:35 PM
Can you confirm those dates please, Eviand, because you say they married in 1969 and then later lived in Rhodesia about 1966 which wouldn't seem quite right.

Sorry, it looks like I've written the marriage date wrongly, it should read 1960. Cornelis, my Grandfather although born in Java lived in Holland until WW11 when he came to the UK.

Eviand

carwyn
19-09-2012, 9:31 PM
I found your search and tried to mail you,but it didn 't work.
Did you have contact with Ligtenstein relatives in Holland?The brother of Kees (cornelis),Johan(Jan)died only a few years ago.
My father and your grandfather were nephews.Their fathers were brothers.
Leo and Maurits
My father(93) didnt have contact with Kees for a long time but remembers him well.
Please let me know when you have new information or want some more information. Pauline van Sunder-Ligtenstein

Tinker
05-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Eviand
Do you know whereabouts in Rhodesia they ended up, as that might help to place them, and perhaps jog a few memories? There were only two major 'cities,' and most of the towns were relatively small, so people got to know eachother well. Ex-pats are spread far and wide, though, so it may help to post up your known info on any Message Board or forum likely to be frequented by ex-Rhodesians.

Also, have you considered that they may have headed south to South Africa or returned to either of their countries of birth? If the latter, ships' passenger lists may reveal them. A Google search of Cornelis' full name may pop up something, too...you never know!

Eviand
06-10-2012, 9:44 AM
Eviand
Do you know whereabouts in Rhodesia they ended up, as that might help to place them, and perhaps jog a few memories?

Tinker,

I can construct the following time line with some detail in terms of location.

1958 - Cornelis van der Linderstrasse, Amsterdam, Holland
28 Nov 1960 - Married at the Registrar's Office in the Parish of St. Helier on the Island of Jersey
19 Dec 1960 - Bond Street, St. Helier, Jersey
2 Aug 1961 - Kidbrook Park Road, Blackheath Village, London
1963 - Demar Flats, 371 Schoeman Street, Pretoria, South Africa
19 Dec 1966 - Kent Crescent, Gweru, Rhodesia

I do hope someone somewhere can remember something !?

Regards
Eviand

Tinker
07-10-2012, 8:14 AM
Eviand
I have some friends who were farming up that way for many years and it's possible they may 'know someone who knows someone' who remembers them. I can't promise that I will be able to turn up anything definite, but there's no harm in asking!

Tinker
08-10-2012, 7:23 AM
Eviand
I'm afraid my friends were unable to help, which is a shame! Keep trying, though, and hopefully something will crop up. Unfortunately, researching family in Rhodesia is very difficult, owing to a lack of online records. The only ones I know about are those that Sue mentioned on Family Search. Perhaps Carwyn can help with more info that might provide a lead as to your Ligtenstein's whereabouts in later years.

Tinker
12-10-2012, 1:35 PM
Eviand, will you PM me? I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full.