PDA

View Full Version : Bready/Brady/Breadey in Bentham, No. York

DebbieAnn
16-07-2005, 10:54 PM
My gr-gr-grandmother Sarah McComb married Thomas Bready in Bentham sometime in August of 1861. They were both born somewhere in No. Ireland. Over the course of the next 13 years, they had 6 children: Joseph, John (who died), James, Thomas, Sarah, John (who lived). According to the 1881 census, Joseph was born around 1861 in Bentham. I have the date of birth for the John who died (17 Oct 1863, Beith, Ayrshire, Scotland) but only know he died before the second John was born (on 16 Apr 1874 in Lochwinnock, Renfrew, Scotland). James was also born in Beith, on 9 Aug 1865, but Thomas was born around 1868 in Clifford, Yorkshire (according to the 1881 census). Sarah was born in County Down, Ireland, around 1871.

I would like help in finding the following:

1. The exact date of marriage of Sarah McComb to Thomas Bready.
2. The date of birth for Joseph Bready.
3. The date of death for the John Bready that died. It could have been in Scotland, Ireland, or England, but can find no record in Scotland and want to concentrate on Yorkshire, England.
4. The date of birth for Thomas Bready (may have been spelled Brady, Bradey, or Breadey).

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Debbie

Wirral
16-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Do you have Sarah & Thomas in the 1861 census? He is living in his sister's house (plus another sister & brother), she is a lodger there also, all are unmarried. If Joseph was born in 1861, then perhaps a shotgun wedding?

DebbieAnn
16-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Yes, I have the 1861 census. Thomas' brother James moved up to Ayrshire as well, but he married and stayed there. Finding that marriage was how I found their parents' names (Joseph Bready and Mary Johnstone), confirmed when I found Thomas' death certificate in Johnstone, Renfrew, Scotland on 3 May 1875. The sisters seem to have disappeared, and I don't know if Jane and Mary married, died, or moved back to Ireland (they appear to have retained close ties there, as Thomas' daughter Sarah appears to have been born there in 1871, which is probably why I can't find them on the 1871 census for either Scotland or England). I had thought that perhaps they went back to settle an estate...

DebbieAnn
15-08-2005, 2:14 PM
FreeBMD lists a Thomas Bready born in Liverpool in Mar Qtr 1866. Would some kind soul please check to see if this is my Thomas Bready, Jr. that I believed was born in Clifford, Yorkshire in 1868? Parents would be Thomas Bready and Sarah McComb.

Debbie

Wirral
15-08-2005, 3:00 PM
Hi Debbie
You would need to purchase a copy of the birth certificate for Thomas Bready. Birth & death certificates are not available to view. Marriage ones are if they took place in a church - you can look at the church register. You can get certificates online through www.gro.gov.uk & you could put in the proviso that the parents' names match. That means if it is the wrong certificate you do not pay as much (£3 or £4 instead of £7 in the UK. I don't think they cost much more for overseas).

DebbieAnn
15-08-2005, 3:09 PM
Thank you.

Would anyone be able to look up the marriage between Thomas, Sr. and Sarah McComb for me?

Thomas Bready and Sarah McComb, m: sometime in August, 1861 in Bentham, Yorkshire, both born in Ireland.

I know his parents' names, but have 2 different names from various sources for her father, and don't know if one is a middle name...

Debbie

arquebus
15-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Debbie Ann.........if you should find that any of the variations for Brady / Bready that you already know about, should stem from (or turn into) Bratty, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

It would appear the person/s I want to trace were born Ireland and ended up in Yorkshire.

Regards Glynis.

DebbieAnn
27-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Just sent for the marriage certificate. It should have Sarah's father's correct name on it...

Debbie

DebbieAnn
08-09-2005, 4:17 AM
Recieved the marriage record with Sarah's father's name.

One down, three to go...

Debbie

DebbieAnn
25-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Now I'm 3 down, 1 to go:

I still am missing the date of death of the first John. His death may have been in Scotland, England, or Ireland as his parents lived in all three places before the second John was born in 1874. So it would have been between 17 Oct 1863 and 16 Apr 1874.

I've looked in the Scotland records with no luck, and now I need help with English records. I feel he must have still been alive when Thomas was born in 1868, else they might have given that son the name John instead of the next son. So my instinct tells me he died between July 1868 and Apr 1874, probably in No. Yorkshire, around Bentham.

Can anyone help find John Bready's death?

Debbie