PDA

View Full Version : Elizebeth GIENAZGINS

TonyHarrison1000
14-07-2005, 9:31 PM
My g g grandmother Elizebeth was born in Bristol (Somerset?) in !825 she was married in 1848 in Lambeth Surrey, however I am unable to find any trace in census or BMD for any Gienazgins has anyone come across this surname or have any ideas where to go. Any help would be appreciated

Geoffers
14-07-2005, 9:43 PM
My g g grandmother Elizebeth was born in Bristol (Somerset?) in !825 she was married in 1848 in Lambeth Surrey, however I am unable to find any trace in census or BMD for any Gienazgins has anyone come across this surname or have any ideas where to go. Any help would be appreciated
What an unusual name! - Bear in mind that Bristol (Gloucestershire) was a port and that many transient people passed through. Does the marriage certificate give any clues? What was the name and occupation of the father? Does he appear in any directory about this time?

Geoffers

TonyHarrison1000
15-07-2005, 8:02 PM
Many thanks Geoffers, am awaiting Marriage certificate. Will add any information I receive.
Regards
Tony

Pat English
17-06-2006, 8:32 AM
Browsing this forum a year after you first wrote and looking at the handwriting on the BMD list, I would say it is more likely to be Gienazzino, which seems quite Italian. I expect you have found this by now!

If you search for Gienazzino or Gienazzina you do get a few more hits, including a Thomas Benjamin Gienazzina who married in Bloomsbury in 1829. Could even be Gianazzino and I would guess you will find all sorts of variations on G/J and Z/S and the vowels and double or single letters...

Sounds a bit more likely than Gienazgins, though.

Best wishes,

Pat