PDA

View Full Version : Question for a Railway expert

piggolo
10-02-2012, 2:05 PM
I'd love to find the relevant railway records for my ancestor but not sure which area to look in.

His census detail always stated Railway Guard and he lived at the same address in the parish of St Pancras London for circa 30+ years, from around 1870.

First question... 1870 seems quite early. Can anyone describe the progress of the railway development by this date? Is "railway guard" just a general generic term or is it a specific role considering this is 1870?

Second question... being close to St Pancras, does anyone know which railway company he would most likely be working for (and therefore which records I should be looking at)?

Any help would be fantastic, Thanks.....

Peter Goodey
10-02-2012, 3:06 PM
Please see in particular paragraph 4 of the research guide mentioned by Graham.

Also you'll find it useful to bookmark the National Archives site
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Elwyn Soutter
11-02-2012, 1:12 PM
St Pancras was the London terminus for the Midland Railway, and was open at least as early as 1868.

I think a guard’s role in the 18970s would be similar to the job today, namely ensuring a train’s safe departure, taking action to protect the train and the passengers in the event of a breakdown etc.

Peter Goodey
11-02-2012, 1:32 PM
St Pancras was the London terminus for the Midland Railway, and was open at least as early as 1868.

Not to mention the adjacent station, Kings Cross (Great Northern Railway) which opened in 1852.

I wonder if the OP has yet had a chance to look at the railway staff records on Ancestry.