PDA

View Full Version : Not new, but stumped

Russell Saunders
14-10-2004, 9:55 PM
Hi All,

My research has gone well except in my fathers paternal line. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions that could help me.

What I know......

My father was born on 22/12/1929 in Poole, Dorset. On the birth cert only his mother is listed ( Lily Olwen Williams ) she married my Grandfather in 1932. So I can't be sure that my grandfather is a blood relative. He would have been 39 by this time, so this may have been a 2nd marriage. Grandmother was 25 at my fathers birth and 29 when married.

Anyway, if we assume that he was, I have only been able to find out that his name was either Henry Russell Saunders or Harry Russell Saunders. He was born c 1893 on board a ship coming to the UK from America.

Possibly Virginia as my parents first house was called this.

My Grandfather worked as a gardener and lived locally. I don't understand why an American would settle in England , in Dorset and work as a gardener.
Mind you my grandmother was a maid in a house in bournemouth, so I wonder if he was a gardener at the same place.....

Something tells me that his parents were perhaps returning to the UK, but this is only a feeling.

I have no clue how to proceed..... any ideas gratefully received.

TIA

Russell

David Wilkins
14-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Russel,
Have you tried the 1901 census to find him as an 8 year old possibly 7 or 9? Secondly Harry is often used for Henry so try both. I have a grandfather Henry who appeared as Harry on the 1901 census. Good luck

David NZ

Lindad
14-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi Russell

Have you obtained a copy of your grandparent's marriage certificate? That would give you the names and professions of both of their fathers... which could take you back a bit further.