PDA

View Full Version : Frederick Hill 1879

regqueenie@yaho
26-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know where to look for relative who worked in Asylum as 'Assistant' in 1874?

Only available Census is '1881' and not working there any longer?

Thanks!

p.s. new to this site so apologies if not provided enough info - Regina

Peter Goodey
26-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes. You can check for yourself in the Hospital Records database.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/search.asp

'Wiltshire' in the hospital name field will suffice.

Colin Moretti
26-06-2008, 5:53 PM
I have recently heard from a contact that he has:
a new talk on Victorian Mental Health - the institutions and their records. This is based on the research by a friend ... into the records of Fisherton House Lunatic Asylum in Salisbury, Wiltshire (known as Roundway) Lunatic Asylum at Devizes and Broadmoor. Send me a private message if you want more details.

Colin

regqueenie@yaho
24-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I have recently heard from a contact that he has:Send me a private message if you want more details.

Colin
Hello Colin,

Am I slow or what? I cannot get to grips with moving around this page to see who replied to my messages and find yours after all this time! forgive me. I would love to hear anything about the Roundway Hospital in Devizes Wiltshire (in 1874) and did chat I think with you once before. Did your friend happen to submit any writings to you about the place. I had a great great grandfather who was an 'Assistant' there in 1874 and he happened to be a 'pensioner' and widower. I assume the word Pensioner means he had been in the Army or could it have been the Navy. I am desperate to find him Colin, and have only his name which was James Millett (1836 -) this is all I know about him, oh and the fact he married in 1874 a mary Jane Owen (1851) that same year. Thanks! Regina

Sue Mackay
24-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Am I slow or what? I cannot get to grips with moving around this page to see who replied to my messages and find yours after all this time!

Regina, you should amend your settings so that you are automatically sent an e-mail whenever anyone replies to your post. Click on this link (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40106) to see how to do it.

Colin Moretti
24-01-2009, 8:05 PM
Replied off-forum

Colin

Helen Hill
29-03-2011, 1:22 PM
I don't know how to work this to post an actual thread of my own. My great grandfather died in Devizes Asylum in 1929. I have his death certificate, but am desperately trying to find his year and place of birth, so I can go back further in the Hill family tree. I was hoping that if I contacted the Asylum they would have a record of this, however can't find how to contact them. Does anyone know how I go about this? His name was Frederick Hill and he was around 51yrs old when he died there.

Helen Hill
29-03-2011, 1:35 PM
I couldn't find anything in that link?? I'm trying to find information on a relative that died in Devizes. It's a nightmare!

Peter Goodey
29-03-2011, 2:27 PM
Why is it a nightmare? Why not use the Hospital Records Database for which a link was provided in an earlier message? This tells you that known surviving records are at Wiltshire & Swindon Record Office.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=646&hospital=&town=devizes&searchdatabase.x=0&searchdatabase.y=0

What about the more usual records such as the birth certificates of his children and his marriage certificate? Have you located him in any censuses?

olliecat
29-03-2011, 2:32 PM
Hi Helen

A moderator can split or copy this to a new thread for you if that's what you want. :D

Just so you know how to create your own threads in future, have a look at the General Forum Usage FAQ’s (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_board_usage), and particularly the Reading and Posting Messages (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post) section. You'll soon get the hang of it, but if you are still not sure after reading the FAQ’s, then do say so.

I’m sure someone will come along who can help you further with the Devizes Asylum. In the meantime, do you have any more information on your great grandfather Frederick, such as the name of his wife, or any other details? The birth certificate of one of his children (your grandfather or grandmother) should give you some information about Frederick and his spouse. Any further details you can provide will enable forum members to help you better.

Just in case you are not aware, one should not post on this forum the names of anyone who is potentially still living, such as the names of his children.

:smile5:

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 9:22 AM
These are the details I have on my great grandfather - he was admitted to Devizes as he was suffering depression.

Schedule type Last names First names Sex Birth year Age in 1911 District / other County / other Transcript Original page
HOUSEHOLD HILL FREDERICK M 1879 32 Bradford on Avon Wiltshire
HOUSEHOLD HILL JAMES ALFRED M 1906 5 Bradford on Avon Wiltshire
HOUSEHOLD HILL KATE F 1876 35 Bradford on Avon Wiltshire
HOUSEHOLD HILL DOROTHY KATE F 1909 2 Bradford on Avon Wiltshire

It seems I'm going to have to work out when Fred and Kate Kimpton married, to get more information. I just thought if I contacted the Asylum they'd be able to tell me his birth details and whether he had any siblings etc. My father is 81yrs old now and can't remember.

Peter Goodey
30-03-2011, 10:03 AM
It seems I'm going to have to work out when Fred and Kate Kimpton married, to get more information

Yes that's the right way to do it. BMD certificates are essential

Try

Marriages Dec 1904
Farrant George Henry St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053
Hill Frederick St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053
Kimpton Kate St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053
Riggs Catherine Sarah St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053

MarkJ
30-03-2011, 10:04 AM
As Peter explained, the records are kept at the record office, not the hospital. Bear in mind that not all records survive though.

Possible marriage for Fred and Kate -
Dec quarter 1904
St Geo.H.Sq vol 1a page 1053

The 1911 census, which you seem to have access to, will give you the number of years of marriage if you look at the original record.

(ah, Peter beat me to the marriage record!)

Peter Goodey
30-03-2011, 10:10 AM
HOUSEHOLD HILL FREDERICK M 1879 32 Bradford on Avon Wiltshire

What does Bradford on Avon signify in the above quote. If it's supposed to be a birthplace I think you'll find it's wrong.

Peter Goodey
30-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Some guess work....

Births Dec 1875
Kimpton Kate Watford 3a 399

Births Mar 1879
Hill Frederick Watford 3a 472

As already advised, you need to get the marriage certificate first to see whether those guesses hold water.

Sue Mackay
30-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes that's the right way to do it. BMD certificates are essential

Try

Marriages Dec 1904
Farrant George Henry St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053
Hill Frederick St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053
Kimpton Kate St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053
Riggs Catherine Sarah St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1053

Welcome to the Forum, Helen

Peter has given you all the information you need to order the certificate online here (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/).

For more information on what certificates can tell you, follow this link (http://www.british-genealogy.com/certificates/certificates.html).

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you everyone.

Wish I read your messages earlier! I found the marriage certificate (the one you've quoted) before reading your comments - for some reason I don't get notified when a response is made, probably because it's not my thread! lol

I've just ordered the marriage certificate, so hopefully that will give me details of his father's name etc and then I can go from there?

Thank you so much for all your help with this. With your help I've got further in a day, than I've managed to get in about 15yrs! haa haa!
x

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 11:53 AM
What does Bradford on Avon signify in the above quote. If it's supposed to be a birthplace I think you'll find it's wrong.

I'm not sure, I know my father was born in Bradford on Avon? He's James Hill's son

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Helen

A moderator can split or copy this to a new thread for you if that's what you want. :D

Just so you know how to create your own threads in future, have a look at the General Forum Usage FAQ’s (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_board_usage), and particularly the Reading and Posting Messages (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post) section. You'll soon get the hang of it, but if you are still not sure after reading the FAQ’s, then do say so.

I’m sure someone will come along who can help you further with the Devizes Asylum. In the meantime, do you have any more information on your great grandfather Frederick, such as the name of his wife, or any other details? The birth certificate of one of his children (your grandfather or grandmother) should give you some information about Frederick and his spouse. Any further details you can provide will enable forum members to help you better.

Just in case you are not aware, one should not post on this forum the names of anyone who is potentially still living, such as the names of his children.

:smile5:

My father is the only living relative to Frederick Hill, as far as we know, as we're not aware if he had any siblings, my father at 81yrs old can't remember.

MarkJ
30-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Bradford on Avon is simply their location in 1911. Fred and Kate were born elsewhere. Do you have access to the 1911 census? If not, it would be worth getting a few credits to look at the entry - it will be helpful to you I suspect.

Mark

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks Mark. I did find the family on the Census when he married Kate Kimpton. My problem being is not knowing his Fredericks fathers name or whether or not he had any siblings. Kate was born in Leavesden. My father thinks Frederick was born in Harrow, however there are no records of this, which makes me think he's got it wrong. I've now ordered Fred and Kate's marriage certificate, so I'm hoping the details of his father are there and I'll be able to go from there. Kate was a servant and Fred was a Coachman when they met. When checking through census's in the past, it appears Kate was a servant from about 15yrs old! I have all the details on Kate's family, but none at all on Fredericks.

That hospital link doesn't really give me any information I can use.

MarkJ
30-03-2011, 12:59 PM
The birth records which Peter gave earlier in the thread are the most likely ones and might be worth ordering, especially once you have the marriage certificate.

Have you tried finding Frederick on earlier censuses?
The 1911 census gives a place of birth which is not Harrow or Bradford on Avon ;)
For interest, there is a Frederick Hill, born about 1877 in Watford who seems the most likely candidate. If so, then chances are his father was called George.

RG11 piece 1439 folio 8 page 10

MarkJ
30-03-2011, 1:02 PM
The hosptial link simply tells you where the records are kept. I think you might be assuming that these will be online, but they are not apparently, so it is a case of either going to the relevant record office or perhaps giving them a ring/email to see if they will forward the details to you. It will probably cost something, but perhaps cheaper than going all the way there....

olliecat
30-03-2011, 1:09 PM
My father is the only living relative to Frederick Hill, as far as we know, as we're not aware if he had any siblings, my father at 81yrs old can't remember.

Sorry Helen, but that's confused me a bit. Do you mean you are not aware if your great grandfather Frederick Hill had siblings or do you mean your grandfather? From the 1911 census you posted, Frederick Hill had a couple of children and perhaps he had more after 1911.

Looking on FreeBMD (http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl)for children with the surname Hill and spouse/mother surname of Kimpton between 1911 to 1930, there are potentially some more children.

Pardon if I'm misinterpreting your meaning. :D

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 1:09 PM
Yes, I've tried looking for him on earlier census's but it gives names of siblings and my father couldn't confirm them. I'm going to ring him now, to see if he has any cousins still alive on his father's side. Thanks again for your help.

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 1:10 PM
Sorry Helen, but that's confused me a bit. Do you mean you are not aware if your great grandfather Frederick Hill had siblings or do you mean your grandfather? From the 1911 census you posted, Frederick Hill had a couple of children and perhaps he had more after 1911.

Looking on FreeBMD (http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl)for children with the surname Hill and spouse/mother surname of Kimpton between 1911 to 1930, there are potentially some more children.

Pardon if I'm misinterpreting your meaning. :D

haa haa!! My father doesn't know if Frederick had any siblings. My father's grandfather. My father was an only child. His mother disappeared when he was 12yrs old and I've only just managed to find out where she went today from Genesreunited! Checkered family my father has! :-)

Peter Goodey
30-03-2011, 1:41 PM
I'm going to ring him now

Helen
Please slow down. You're jumping around all over the place. Work systematically, one step at a time. When you get the marriage certificate, you'll be that much closer to sorting out their birth details and details of brothers and sisters will then emerge. You don't need to phone anyone.

Also, as advised earlier, you need to look at the 1911 census - that's the household form, not just the index.

Trying to jump over too many hurdles at once is a recipe for falling over!

Helen Hill
30-03-2011, 2:11 PM
Sorry Peter, I did ask my father, but he said that his cousins wouldn't know about Frederick, as their mother Violet was ashamed that he took his own life.

I'll do as you suggest and wait for the marriage certificate and will take it from there.

Thanks again :-)

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 9:46 AM
thank you olliecat. I have his marriage certificate now, his father was James Hill and was also a coachman. Thank you so much for all your help. I just need to find his birth certificate now :-) x

olliecat
06-04-2011, 10:21 AM
thank you olliecat. I have his marriage certificate now, his father was James Hill and was also a coachman. Thank you so much for all your help. I just need to find his birth certificate now :-) x

Hi again Helen.

One possibility from the census...

1891: RG12 Piece: 1121 Folio: 171 Page: 5 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
Sarratt Green, Sarratt, Hertfordshire
HILL, James, head, 43, coachman domestic servant, Spratton Northamptonshire
HILL, Sophia, wife, 50, Chipperfield Herts
HILL, James, son, 17, groom domestic servant, Micklefield Green Herts
HILL, Henry, son, 15, groom domestic servant, Micklefield Green Herts
HILL, Fanny, dau, 14, Micklefield Green Herts
HILL, Frederick, son, 12, Micklefield Green Herts

This would need further checking since Hill quite a common name. Would also need to search the census for other possible contenders.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage?

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Thank you. Yes, I think that must be his family. The witnesses to the marriage were his father James Hill and a Rosa ?? (can't read the handwriting) Kimpton, but I can't work out who that is, as I have most of the Kimpton side and it wasn't her mother, nor any of her siblings?? Odd

MarkJ
06-04-2011, 10:39 AM
On a whim, I wondered if the Rose Kimpton witness might be married into the Kimpton family - especially as you mention that you have no record of anyone with that name.
A quick look at marriages from 1860 to 1875 gives 2 hits if you put in Kimpton as the surname and Ros* as the Spouse first name. One marriage is St Saviour district in March qtr 1860, the other St Giles district in 1871, again the March qtr.

Both ladies are Rosina. If you are having trouble with the name on the certificate, it might be worth scanning the relevant part and popping it somewhere - e.g photobucket - so we can take a look and perhaps come up with the name?

Of course, Rosa or whatever may be an "as yet" undiscovered blood member of the Kimpton family.

Mark

olliecat
06-04-2011, 10:49 AM
The witnesses to the marriage were his father James Hill and ...

Could be a brother James rather than his father.

and a Rosa ?? (can't read the handwriting) Kimpton, but I can't work out who that is, as I have most of the Kimpton side and it wasn't her mother, nor any of her siblings?? Odd

I don't know if you have a scanner, but if do then you could scan the certificate and post it to Photobucket or email it to one of us. Then we could take a look and see what we make of the name. :smile5:

Thank you. Yes, I think that must be his family.

Well, the family in the 1891 census above are in Rickmansworth in the 1881 census..

1881: RG11 Piece: 1440 Folio: 101 Page: 3 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

The likeliest birth record for the Frederick Hill in the 1881 and 1891 census is this one..

Births Mar 1879 Watford 3a 472
Hill Frederick

However, I would feel better if I could find your Frederick for sure in the 1901 census.

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Could be a brother James rather than his father.

Mmm you might be right there. James seems to be a popular name in the Hill family.

I don't know if you have a scanner, but if do then you could scan the certificate and post it to Photobucket or email it to one of us. Then we could take a look and see what we make of the name. :smile5:

I do have a scanner, it's upstairs. I'll try and scan it in for you.

Well, the family in the 1891 census above are in Rickmansworth in the 1881 census..

That would make sense, as Kate Kimpton was born in Leavesden (both are near Watford).

1881: RG11 Piece: 1440 Folio: 101 Page: 3 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

The likeliest birth record for the Frederick Hill in the 1881 and 1891 census is this one..

Births Mar 1879 Watford 3a 472
Hill Frederick

However, I would feel better if I could find your Frederick for sure in the 1901 census.

On the census it says Frederick was born in Micklefield Green, Hertfordshire - I can't find anything for there. So he could've been born in Sarratt or Watford??

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 10:59 AM
On a whim, I wondered if the Rose Kimpton witness might be married into the Kimpton family - especially as you mention that you have no record of anyone with that name.
A quick look at marriages from 1860 to 1875 gives 2 hits if you put in Kimpton as the surname and Ros* as the Spouse first name. One marriage is St Saviour district in March qtr 1860, the other St Giles district in 1871, again the March qtr.

Both ladies are Rosina. If you are having trouble with the name on the certificate, it might be worth scanning the relevant part and popping it somewhere - e.g photobucket - so we can take a look and perhaps come up with the name?

Of course, Rosa or whatever may be an "as yet" undiscovered blood member of the Kimpton family.

Mark

I'm off to the scanner :-)

olliecat
06-04-2011, 11:03 AM
On the census it says Frederick was born in Micklefield Green, Hertfordshire - I can't find anything for there. So he could've been born in Sarratt or Watford??

If you Google Micklefield Green you will find that it is located in Sarratt (which is where the family are living in 1891). The registration district is Watford, so any birth in this area would be registered in Watford.

olliecat
06-04-2011, 11:08 AM
This could be the christening of the Frederick Hill in the 1881/1891 census.

name: Frederick Hill
baptism/christening date: 04 May 1879
baptism/christening place: Chipperfield, Hereford, England
father's name: James Hill
mother's name: Sophia
(from family search)

Note: mother Sophia was from Chipperfield. It seems they also christened some of their other children in Chipperfield.

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 11:15 AM
where's photobucket?

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 11:18 AM
WAH! that's probably the same one!! Chipperfield is in Hertfordshire though? Just down the road from me?

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 11:23 AM
where's the photobucket? I can't find it?

olliecat
06-04-2011, 11:27 AM
where's the photobucket? I can't find it?

http://
photobucket.com

You would need to sign up.

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 11:35 AM
http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc402/hah16507/Frederick%20Hill/

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Did it work?

MarkJ
06-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Yep, and deffo Rosa....

MarkJ
06-04-2011, 11:55 AM
There are a couple of Rosa Kimpton births registered - one Greenwich, March qtr 1850 the other Biggleswade, March qtr 1852. Of course, Rosa may have been born prior to Civil Registration in July 1837 and thus not on the index or,as I suggested earlier, she may be a wife of a Kimpton.

Also found a few more Rosa births, based on the marriage date -

Sep qtr 1873 Lambeth 1d 487 Rosa Blomfield Kimpton
Jun qtr 1877 St Saviour 1d 105 Rosa Olive Kimpton
Jun qtr 1878 Royston 3a 329 Rosa Mary Kimpton

olliecat
06-04-2011, 12:02 PM
she may be a wife of a Kimpton.

Kate Kimpton had a brother called Alfred Kimpton. Looks like he married a Rose Buxton in 1896.

olliecat
06-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Kate's brother John Kimpton married a Rosa Wright in 1898. Perhaps more likely to be the witness at Kate's marriage since John and Rosa were working as servants at St George Hanover Square in 1901.

1901: RG13 Piece: 82 Folio: 64 Page: 53 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

MarkJ
06-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Kate Kimpton had a brother called Alfred Kimpton. Looks like he married a Rose Buxton in 1896.

Ah - that may well be the answer.

Edit: the John and Rosa one is much nicer! The wedding was at St George Hanover Square, so almost certainly the right lady. Well found!

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Think you might be right there! You are much better at this than me!! :-) Thank you x

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Kate's grandmother was called Rosetta, but doubt it would've been her

olliecat
06-04-2011, 12:46 PM
A few more bits and pieces I came across whilst looking at James and Sophia Hill and children.

Looks like Sophia died in 1897...

Deaths Mar 1897 Watford 3a 358
Hill Sophia
Age 55

James Hill may have married again...

Marriages Jun 1900 H.Hempstead. 3a 1171
Dean Mary
Hill James
Keech Emma
Simons John

groom's name: James Hill
groom's birth date: 1848
groom's age: 52
bride's name: Mary Dean
bride's birth date: 1864
bride's age: 36
marriage date: 21 Apr 1900
marriage place: Kings-Langley, Hertford, England
groom's father's name: John Edward Hill
bride's father's name: David Dean
(from family search)

You will find James and Mary in the 1901 and 1911 census.

1901: RG13 Piece: 1322 Folio: 73 Page: 17 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

1911: RG14/PN7758 SN140

olliecat
06-04-2011, 1:05 PM
Looks like James Hill died in 1916.

Deaths Mar 1916 H.Hempstead 3a 992
Hill James
Age 68

He left a will which was proved on 15 Mar 1916. Executor was James Hill coachman.

If you have a look at the National Probate Calendar (e.g. on a site such as Ancestry), you can view the details for yourself. It might be worth your while getting hold of a copy of this will in case he mentions Frederick. A copy of the will would cost you £5.

You will also find an entry for Sophia Hill on the National Probate Calendar. There was no will in this case. Administration was granted to her husband.

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 1:33 PM
I've got Jame's birth date as 1846?

olliecat
06-04-2011, 1:40 PM
I've got Jame's birth date as 1846?

Depends which census you look at. For example, have a look at the 1891 census or the 1871 census. :smile5:

1871: RG10 Piece: 1381 Folio: 16 Page: 24 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Edit: with his parents in the 1851 census.

1851: HO107 Piece: 1742 Folio: 143 Page: 9 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 1:58 PM
I'm registered with ancestry, so I'll try and look, thanks x

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 2:13 PM
Looks like James Hill died in 1916.

Deaths Mar 1916 H.Hempstead 3a 992
Hill James
Age 68

He left a will which was proved on 15 Mar 1916. Executor was James Hill coachman.

If you have a look at the National Probate Calendar (e.g. on a site such as Ancestry), you can view the details for yourself. It might be worth your while getting hold of a copy of this will in case he mentions Frederick. A copy of the will would cost you £5.

You will also find an entry for Sophia Hill on the National Probate Calendar. There was no will in this case. Administration was granted to her husband.

I can't find the National Probate Calendar? I can find the death, but can't view it yet, as I can't afford it at the moment. Will the information be on that?

olliecat
06-04-2011, 2:46 PM
I can't find the National Probate Calendar? I can find the death, but can't view it yet, as I can't afford it at the moment. Will the information be on that?

No Helen, I'm afraid the entry for James in the death index will not give you any probate details. As for the National Probate Calendar, I think you require Premium Membership at least to view it.

You probably have enough information to order the will without viewing the entry on the Probate Calendar. However, it would be better if you viewed James in the 1901 and 1911 census as well as the entry in the calendar to decide for yourself if he is correct James and if you want to proceed with ordering the will. His birth place in the 1901 census is Spratton as it was on all the previous census. In 1911, a different birth place is recorded but everything else is consistent. His address in 1911 is also consistent with the address recorded on the entry in the probate calendar.

Also, before I forget, there appears to be a probate entry for his second wife, Mary Hill who died in 1918

Deaths Jun 1918 H.Hempstead 3a 851
Hill Mary
Age 54

Probate was granted on 8 June to James Hill coachman.

I can tell you how to order a will, but I don't want to rush you into anything. I'm still trying to find Frederick Hill in the 1901 census for certain - would like to make sure you have the right family for Frederick, although the one we have found for him already seems like a good bet. :smile5:

Helen Hill
06-04-2011, 10:06 PM
No Helen, I'm afraid the entry for James in the death index will not give you any probate details. As for the National Probate Calendar, I think you require Premium Membership at least to view it.

I can tell you how to order a will, but I don't want to rush you into anything. I'm still trying to find Frederick Hill in the 1901 census for certain - would like to make sure you have the right family for Frederick, although the one we have found for him already seems like a good bet. :smile5:

Thank you SO much for all of this information! I think I'll go into Fredericks family more, once I have confirmation from the marriage certificate who his father was :-) I'm hoping I don't have to wait long for it considering they sent me the wrong one :-/ I'm also researching my grandmother on a separate thread, so my poor little brain can't take anymore information at the moment :-) x

Helen Hill
14-04-2011, 9:56 PM
Right, I've sorted out granny . . Back to Frederick :-)

I'm still questioning the dates of Fredericks father's birth. Saying that, I've seen quite a few conflicting dates between birth certificates and census lately.

At least we know we've got the right Frederick, as it would seem right his father was in the same profession?

Helen Hill
31-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi, does anyone know where I may find records for Devizes Asylum? My Great Grandfather was admitted there and I would like to know why. Also, because we don't have his birth details, only his death, I can't find out any details of family prior to him. Can anyone help please?

dawnkaren
31-01-2012, 12:50 PM
so is the 1879 date you have given his date of death?

Kerrywood
31-01-2012, 1:08 PM
does anyone know where I may find records for Devizes Asylum?

Records are at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham -- click here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=646&hospital=&town=devizes&searchdatabase.x=72&searchdatabase.y=11). They offer a paid research service.

Kerrywood
31-01-2012, 1:36 PM
Extensive research on Frederick HILL has already been done by members in an earlier thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/30915-Wiltshire-Asylum-Roundway-Devizes?p=466002&viewfull=1#post466002) (post #7 onwards). The location of the Devizes Asylum records was also posted there.

Helen, can you please say exactly what you are looking for?

Depending on your answer, it may be best for a moderator to combine the two threads. Thanks. :smile5:

Helen Hill
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi

Just to let you know that I have now found out where to get information about people who stayed at Roundways Asylum, Devizes. I was initially looking for the book Down Pans Lane, the History of Roundway Hospital Devizes, however it's a private publication and the publisher has since died, therefore very hard to come buy. I did a search on the book and found this.

http://www.wshc.eu/about-wshc/archives/171.html

The people here are very helpful and I have ordered my Great Grandfather's records and notes, which is much better than reading a generalised book.

Just thought I'd share this for those who are still trying to purchase the book or find details about the Asylum.

:-)

Helen Hill
12-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Yes please, could you combine the two threads, with my new post. Thank you :-)

Helen Hill
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Kerrywood. I didn't see your reply until just now! Thank you very much anyway :-) x

Jan1954
12-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Yes please, could you combine the two threads, with my new post. Thank you :-)Threads combined as requested. :smile5: