PDA

View Full Version : A WOW moment

IreneH
23-01-2012, 6:33 PM
For years now I've been trying to fine information on a Harry Hall. No luck!
A few weeks ago a unknow relation popped up out of the woodwork. He has lots of photos of days gone by.
Two of the these photos had us mailing back and forth try to work out were.
Ok some history.

Three brothers came to NZ in the 1800s. William, George and Matthew. These three were members of a family of twelve children. George came out first as a 20yr old in 1859 (hes my Great grandfather) William b.1829 and Matthew b. 1841, came 4 yrs later on 1864. William was married and had 4 kids. William died the year after they arrived. Harry the eldest was 10yrs when they came out, and it was Harry we could not find anything about after his fathers death.
The only thing we had on him was that he was very definitly in Auckland in 1886!

Now this new relation pops up with two photos . One we were fearly sure was William with wife and two kids take in Winterton, the other was take here in Auckland. To me the men did not look alike, apart from the beard! But I was sure that it could not be William. But that beard!!! The only clues we had was the name of the photogarpher on the backs of the photos and the beard.
Having found out that the people who took the photo had not come in being until 1874ish that cut William right out of the picture! And left just one other person that it could be.
Our missing Harry!!! So while we still know very very little about him we now are 99% sure that, that photo is of Harry! It also has made it almost certain that the man in the other photo with two kids is William, Harrys father.
"Harry" inherited his fathers beard.

This is a slightly shorten version of the story. But people never give up the hunt, you never know what is going to pop out of the woodwork. This same relation as also given me copies of photos of my Great great grand parents. Sam Hall b. 1798 and Eilzabeth Walsham b. 1801. the photos were taken in their 70s. probably taken by their eldest son James.

Irene

spison
23-01-2012, 8:16 PM
Congratulations Irene.
I totally agree. Never give up searching because you never know when that one little piece will be found that could link all the others. It worries me that the 'instant' information (I'm not complaining about it mind you) available so easily online will mean that some beginning researchers will expect it all to be that easy and either give up or worse - pluck the fluttering leaves without thinking about it! (Sorry for the rant - CONGRATULATIONS!)
Jane

v.wells
23-01-2012, 8:32 PM
That is great news Irene, that you have finally found your missing Harry and been able to put faces to names! What a stroke of luck and good research:clap:

Dizzy600
23-01-2012, 9:18 PM
Brilliant news Irene. A couple of weeks ago someone contacted me about my 3xgt grandmother after seeing an old post on here and it turns out that she became the 'adopted daughter' of her relation sometime between 1871 and 1881 and that now raises more questions and I still can't find her in 1891....

These moments of 'eureka' keep us all going! Well done.

Waitabit
27-01-2012, 2:18 AM
Wonderful to see some 'happy' news out of N.Z. Irene. well done.

cristol
27-01-2012, 11:12 AM
:clap:

So pleased for you Irene - a wow moment for you becomes a wow moment for us all when shared on here
and reminds us why we do this. And I agree with Jane - so much more satisfying than just a transcription on
a page.....even though we can't get enough of those either!
Thanks for sharing it.
Lesley