PDA

View Full Version : Family info was wrong.

terrysfamily
15-01-2012, 8:56 PM
Yesterday I attended the funeral of my aunty (my Mum’s sister). We had only buried her husband on the 14 Dec, exactly 1 month ago.

The vicar stood and told us of the couple and there were some laughs and quite a few tears.

He got to the point where he says how long they had been married and that the daughter (an only child) had told him that they were married in 1947.

WHOA, hang on a min, I thought, they were married in 1949.

On leaving the church and out of hear-shot of anyone else, especially the daughter, I told my sister of the wrong date. She, quite indignant at my suggested correction, told me It was me that was wrong. The daughter should know when her parents were married.

Well I’ll shut up then, hayyyy

Got home last night and looked at the marriage date in the family tree. They were indeed married in 1949, in the town they lived in all their lives.

So sometimes even the closest of relatives don’t have the right dates.

terrysfamily
15-01-2012, 9:03 PM
No, their only daughter was born in 1958.

I've only just noticed that father and daughter shared the same birthday. Thats going to be hard for her.

Nicolina
15-01-2012, 10:11 PM
could there have been an earlier pregnancy?
On the other hand my mother insisted that her mother was aged 84 when she died, yet the gravestone said 85. On finally finding the correct registration my mother was wrong. Mother also insists that her mother was born in Yorkshire. Wrong again - she was born in Lincolnshire.

Zen Rabbit
15-01-2012, 10:38 PM
People are falible and do get things wrong. I myself only recently told people that we didn't got abroad last year yet when I looked in my diary I was surprised to discover that we went to France at Easter. Unless we constantly remind ourselves of dates or can place them in context with other events then it is quite normal to lose track.

alfier
16-01-2012, 9:26 AM
Yes Nicolina, I can understand how your mother was confused,my family all appeared to be good swimmers or boatmen and constantly crossed the river, as you are aware with the Reads

Ladkyis
16-01-2012, 12:26 PM
My husband's grandmother told everyone that she and her husband were born in the same year, 1904. I sent for the birth certificates and Grandfather was born in 1902, Grandmother in 1903. That was the day I stopped believing anything they told me until I had confirmed it in writing.
Then, of course you get the official documents that are "wrong". Like my great grandmother's death certificate said she was the widow of Guilfoyle Seymour. Well she was, but she had married again since then and was actually the wife or widow of someone else but the niece who registered the death didn't know this until she was going through great grandmother's papers and found the marriage certificate. Thank goodness she was honest and went back to the registrar and swore an affidavit so that the certificate could be corrected.
To misquote President Bartlett from "the West Wing" sometimes they have to "stand there in their wrongness and be wrong".

Doesn't it make this hobby fun? LOL

Jillychris
16-01-2012, 3:31 PM
I asked my Mother In Law when her Parents were married and duly noted the date 10th January 1913 on my database. It was only after she had died that I was looking into dates etc the registration was wrong ordered the certificate and found out they were married on the 10th January 1914, they obviously told their Daughter a little white lie as she was born April 1914. I wouldn't have told her even if I had found out before it would have upset her greatly.

Ultramum
16-01-2012, 4:21 PM
my family all appeared to be good swimmers or boatmen and constantly crossed the river

Thanks ... a Eureka moment! Loads of my lot were watermen or lightermen and I couldn't for the life of me understand why they keep popping up on different sides of the Thames :wacko: so obvious!!!