PDA

View Full Version : WITHERS & FOWLER surnames

cdnsctgirl
14-10-2004, 8:23 PM
I am looking for information on a William WITHERS who married a Mary FOWLER. They had at least 4 girls, all of them born in St. Mary, Reading, Berkshire: Lydia WITHERS (1858), Sarah Elizabeth WITHERS (1861), Jenny Murray WITHERS (c1864), and Mary Fowler WITHERS (1865). Lydia WITHERS and Mary Fowler WITHERS both ended up in B.C., Canada. I don't know what happened to the other 2. I would like to know more about William WITHERS and his wife (birth dates, marriage date, death dates, parents, etc.).

Mary FOWLER had a granddaughter named Matilda B. JONES in the 1881 census. She was still in St. Mary at that time.

Thanks,

Sarah

ziksby
14-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi Sarah

Below is a file from A2A, the online national archives site.
http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp

This ref. is from Berkshire Records Office.

Blandy and Blandy, Solicitors, of Reading, Berkshire
Probate etc., mainly early 20th century
FILE - Sarah WITHERS of Reading, spinster (d. 1937): probate, 1937. - ref. D/EBB B2/836 - date: 1937

There are other Withers mentioned if you do a search, but may not be yours.

cdnsctgirl
06-09-2005, 9:16 PM
Thought I'd bring this back up to see if any new members have information on this family.

I've since discovered (I think) a son as well. William James WITHERS, born 1871 to William WITHERS and Mary FOWLER, who is shown on censuses 1881 and 1891 with his father (his mother is elsewhere... both parents are listed as married, but they don't appear to be living together). William married Lily HORNE in 1896, and the 1901 census lists one son, William George WITHERS, born 1899... but I would guess there are probably more.

Also, Jenny Murray WITHERS married Charles HARMER in 1888 and had at least 6 children.

Is anyone else researching this family? Perhaps a descendant of one of the WITHERS children?

Thanks,

Sarah

pigmyhippo
17-09-2006, 5:49 PM
I to are looking for WITHERS's but they come from East Quantoxhead, Kilve, Stanton Drew, Barrow Gurney, Flax Bourton and Farliegh. Do you have any in your tree living in any of these areas?
Regards
sue

cdnsctgirl
19-09-2006, 6:40 PM
No... as far as I know, my WITHERSes were all from Reading, Tilehurst, and Earley. Sorry. :(

Sarah

Peter Goodey
19-09-2006, 8:12 PM
I am looking for information on a William WITHERS who married a Mary FOWLER.
I'm rather doubtful about your fundamental premise here. I believe that William WITHERS married Mary Fowler MURRAY. FreeBMD has -

Marriages Jun 1851
------------------

Driscoll Michael Reading 6 354
MUNDAY Mary Reading 6 354
MURRAY Mary Fowler Reading 6 354
Scane George Reading 6 354
Withers William Reading 6 354

and Mary Fowler WITHERS appears to have died in 1893 at the age of 61 (1893 Jun Reading 2c 216)

cdnsctgirl
26-09-2006, 3:18 AM
You are correct, Peter. I should have updated this thread as I found more information.

Her name was Mary Fowlar (or Fowler) MURRAY. I got her full name from the 1853 birth registration of her eldest daughter, Mary Kate WITHERS (I believe Mary Kate is the mother of Matilda B. JONES, mentioned earlier in this thread).

Thank you, though, for finding the marriage record. I had searched the BMDs numerous times and never came up with any marriages that fit. Perhaps now I can order a certificate and piece together some more of the family tree.

Sarah