PDA

View Full Version : HMS Sentinel & Charles HUMPHRIES

Yegvard
11-07-2005, 1:42 PM
Hi Folks,

Going through some old photographs I have a hint that a Charles HUMPHRIES was a sailor on HMS Sentinel, a light cruiser. She was completed in 1905 and scrapped in 1923.

My Charles HUMPHRIES, was a British Subject, born Kasas City, Kansas, USA, 1891.

My question is does anyone know of an online crew list for this ship? Failing that, what are the likely PRO references for service and discharge of sailors in that period?

Regards

Mike

Geoffers
11-07-2005, 5:10 PM
Going through some old photographs I have a hint that a Charles HUMPHRIES was a sailor on HMS Sentinel, a light cruiser. She was completed in 1905 and scrapped in 1923.......My question is does anyone know of an online crew list for this ship? Failing that, what are the likely PRO references for service and discharge of sailors in that period?
HMS Sentinel, Scout class light cruiser (three funnel), 2,895 tons, 360ft length, crew 298, 9x4in guns, 1x3in AA gun, 2TT, 17,000HP giving a speed of about 25kts.

I don't know of an online list of crew, if he was not an officer, then The National Archives (TNA) at Kew is the place to look. They have a number of research guides which are worth reading, see:

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/researchguidesindex.asp#r

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire