PDA

View Full Version : DAVIES JAMES 1768 TREGARON

Happy Jackie
30-11-2011, 10:25 PM
My ancestor, Enoch Davies was a weaver, born abt 1768 of Tyngaer Berth, Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales: He died 13 March 1849 in Llanbadarn Odwyn, Cardiganshire, Wales. He was married 18 Apr 1794 in Llanbadarn Odwyn, Cardiganshire, Wales to Mary James, born 24 May 1768 in Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales.
His brother was David Davies of Pyllau duon born about 1760 and died 19 June 1847 at 87 years old in Pulladuon, Llabadarn Odwyn, Cardiganshire, Wales.

On the Tregaron parish register for Baptisms for Mary James, it gives her father as Thomas James Jones of Blaen Ayron.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything else on the families of Enoch or Mary. I have all of Enoch and Mary's children, their christening dates, places and marriages except for their son Thomas Davies, b: 15 Jan. 1797, Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales and daughter Elizabeth Davies, b: 7 May 1809, Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales.
I do have the 1841 census for them.

Any additional help or information would be greatly appreciated. thanking you in advance.

euros davies
27-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Hi Jackie
Regarding your ancestor Enoch Davies born 1768 at Tyngaer, Berth, Tregaron and his wife Mary James.
My grandfather Dafydd (David) farmed Pyllau Duon as did my greatfather Enoch and his wife Sarah Jones.
My family tree on my father's side have farm Pyllau Duon for many generations, I have the information you posted and I am currently searching for further information. I know that some members of the Davies clan emigrated to America and others to Canada.
Although I have some information on the American connection as I was involved in the Wales - Ohio celebrations at Cilcennin last year stewarding at the exhibitions, but very little on the Canada side. Depends on what information you are seeking.

helachau
27-03-2019, 7:51 PM
Croeso cynnes i Brit-Gen.

Does the Ohio connection involve David W Davies, Horeb, Jackson County - born Sir Aberteifi, May 1840, died 15 May 1897?
There's an item in "Cyfaill o'r Hen Wlad yn America..." January 1893 and July 1898. Name of the home was "Pyllau Duon".

euros davies
28-03-2019, 4:50 PM
Hello Hel Achau
Is the Pyllau Duon Davies' you are looking for the same place as the one in Tynreithyn , Tregaron

euros davies
28-03-2019, 9:44 PM
From records of my ancestors and cross checking details on reading Cyfaill o'r Hen Wlad yn America, July 1893, it is the Ohio connection.
Thomas Davies, Pyllau Duon and his wife Margaret Evans, Penlan Fach, Nantcwnlle emigrated in 1847 with their children, JANE, DAVID, ANN, JOHN, CEYNOR, EVON AND BENJAMIN. 2 others died in infancy. They were left orphans at an early age.
David's first wife was Margaret Williams, they had several children. Following the death of his first David married Mary Jones and they had five children.

helachau
29-03-2019, 5:05 AM
Thanks for confirming "the Ohio connection". Following post #4 I was going to direct you to Welsh Journals Online but you had already made the link. I'd searched the Journals under "Pyllau Duon" and "David W Davies" and also checked the '41 Census with 2 familes at "Pulleduon" and a David Davies, age 1, in nearby "Tanlluest".

Re. Welsh Journals did you spot the reference to Pyllau Duon in "Ceredigion: Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society - 1975, vol 7"?

euros davies
29-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Rwy wedi darllen y cylchgrawn bore 'ma , diolch am ddod a'r eitem ym sylw
My grandfather farmed both Pyllau Duon and Tyngaer homsteads. I found the Ohio connection you were looking for from
the booklet compiled by Dan T. Davies, Ohio a decendant of Pyllau Duon. "US" Davieses (a copy I have in my possesion).
Here is another bit of information for you, unless you already got it ?. Catherine (Cati) born 1805, daughter of Enoch Davies, born 1768 and Mary James, Tyngaer fell in love with Daniel Morgan, a man with no land and few prospects. Her parents forbade the match and sought to arrange a marriage with the son of a neighbouring farmer. Catherine left home one evening and married Daniel Morgan at Nantcwnlle Parish Church. they emigrated to Oak Hill, Ohio in 1837. Within 2 years they had saved enough money to buy an 80 acre farm at Hewett's Fork, near Oak Hill, Jackson County. Their grandson was Judge Daniel Edgar Morgan, later became a Demoncratic State Senator. Began his Law career in Cleveland with Garfield, Garfield & Howe., the senior partners, James R. Garfield and Harry A. Garfield were the eldest sons of the 20th President of the USA.

helachau
29-03-2019, 7:46 PM
diolch am ddod a'r eitem ym sylw

Croeso.
Have read the 2 items in the magazine several times but still not sure whether the references to "Pyllau Duon" apply to their new home in Ohio or whether it's a reference back to their origins. I'm inclined to the former.

Cofion cynnes
Helachau

Happy Jackie
30-03-2019, 5:05 AM
Thanks for all the interesting information. My Grandmother, Sarah Evans is a direct descendant of Enoch Davies and Mary James. She and her husband, Frederick Charles Williams, came to Canada. I am looking for ancestors for Enoch and Mary as I have been able to get any further back and would appreciate any help you can give me.

euros davies
30-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Pleased you got in contact. Which of Enoch and Mart's children linage you are descended from, from my notes I think its David born 17/04/1803 because that is the Canada link. Further on in my notes there are references to the Evans' relations at Penlone, Blaenpennal, Tregaron and under Sarah Ann Evans (Jackie's grandmother are these words : born 1873/6 ? at Penlone. In 1881 at Penlone (no sign of William Evans) Anne wife aged 37, with daughter Sarah Anne Evans aged 8, a scholar; John Evans age 5, Mary Evans age 4, William Benjamin Evans age 1; also living with them Mary James, a servant age 70. In 1891 there is a William Evans age 70, his wife age 44 and children Mary age14, William B. age 11, Enoch age 8 and Mary Jmes a boarder age 82.
In 1901 under 14 Banner Street, Bethnal Green, London there is John Evans, head age 24, his brother William B. age 21 and their sister Sarah Ann Evans age 25 born at Blaenpennal. She married Frederick Charles Willams and had a son William David Williams. On my notes it says Federick is athe grandson of a Japanese mariner ?
MARY born 1877, WILLIAM BENJAMIN born 1880, ENOCH born 1883 ; at the bottom of their details is written emigrated to Canada. Hope it makes sense to you ??

euros davies
30-03-2019, 1:58 PM
Hi Jackie
You mention you are the direct descendant of Enoch and Mary James, so am I. You from his son David and myself from his son Daniel, David's brother. Ann their sister also went to Canada but I have hardly any information on her except she married a John (John Shir Gar as he was known) obviously from Carmarthenshire. (english translation). So this makes us two distant cousins ! ! ?

Happy Jackie
31-03-2019, 2:36 AM
Yes, makes absolute sense. I have that Census record as well. My grandmother, Sarah Evans was the daughter of William Evans and Ann Davies; Ann was the daughter of David Davies (B: 1803 in Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales) and Sarah James. I have all the information on these families. Sara’s brother. William Benjamin, brought my father over to Canada when he was 10 years olds and then William Benjamin, (Ben Evans) immigrated to New South Wales, Australia. I have some information on that family as well. Yes, My great great grandfather or his father, were Japanese so I am, obviously, at a dead end there. Have we corresponded before that you have notes on my family or did you look at other “brick walls” on British Genealogy? I have the names of all of the children of Enoch and Mary James and have Mary’s father as Thomas James Jones of Blaen Ayron. I would love to have further information on any of their ancestors.

euros davies
31-03-2019, 6:52 PM
I started delving into the history of my father's side of the family a few years ago, got most of my information from relatives / cousins of mine, but it was only last year before the Wales - Ohio Bi-Centenary celebrations in Cilcennin, Ceredigion (Cardiganshire) that I started researching the Ohio link of the family members of the Davies', Pyllau Duon that emigrated to America in the 1800's.
I have not corresponded with you before as I only joined Brti-Gen this March. I was looking through some paperwork on the family history a few weeks ago and came across this photocopy of your brit-gen notes from forum that someone gave a few years ago asking if it had any link to my family. The info on it made me join forum, glad I did.
I will check what details I have on the children of Enoch and Mary as I have little knowledge on a few of them.
I will look further for you. I have not looked "at other brick walls" ; only the stuff gathered relatives of the years, nothing from history websites.

euros davies
01-04-2019, 8:14 PM
I have posted some details to you, hope you have received it

euros davies
02-04-2019, 9:29 AM
Hi happy jackie
This is as far back as I can go with the Davies/James family tree !!
Nathaniel James, born 1781 at Penlone, Blaenpennal became a farmer at Tynswydd, he married Gwenllian Jones, daughter of John Jones of Llansawel (Carmarthenshire) at Tregaron Church on 27th December, 1811.
They had 2 daughters, Mary born 1812 and Sarah born 1814. Sarah married David Davies born 1803 the 3rd son of Enoch Davies, Tyngaer and Mary born 1768, daughter of Thomas James, Blaenaeron.
Enoch's older brother David, born 1760 lived at Pyllau Duon, married Elizabeth Davies, died 1847 age 87. They had 5 children including John who emigrated to Ohio, USA.
David Davies born 1803 married Sarah the daughter of Nathaniel James, they had 3 daughters, Mary, Margaret and Ann. David died in 1849 and buried at Blaenpennal. His widow Sarah married a widower called William Evans of Penlone. Sarah died in1868. Her youngest daughter Ann then married her stepfather William Evans in 1871, she was 20 years his junior.
They had 5 children, Sarah, Mary, Enoch, Jack and William Benjamin who all eventually emigrated to Canada, the land of promise

euros davies
02-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Hi Happy Jackie
Any chance of having information on the 2 daughters of Enoch Davies, Tyngaer, born 1768 and his wife Mary James, viz : ANN born 1801 and ELIZABETH born 1809. I only have their names and date of birth, nothing else except Ann was married to a John ?. On the rest of the children I have plenty of notes.

Re CATHERINE (Cati) born 1805, (don't know if have this information, apologies if you have) fell in love with Daniel Morgan, and I quote "a landless peasant with few prospects". Her parents forbade the match and sought to arrange a marriage with the son of a neighbouring farmer. Catherine left home one evening and married Daniel on 28th March 1837 at Nantcwnlle Parish Church and lived at Penygaer, Nantcwnlle. They emigrated to Oak Hill, Ohio in 1837. Within 2 years they had saved enough monet to buy a 80 acre farm at Hewett's Fork, near Ohio in Jackson County.
Their grandson Judge Daniel Edgar Morgan served as a Democratic State Senator. He began his Law career with Garfield, Garfield & Howe. The senior partners, James R. Garfield and Harry A. Garfield were the eldest sons of 20th President of the USA.
I would appreciate any information on the Australia family connection, I have a 1st cousin who has emigrated to Melbourne

euros davies
03-04-2019, 8:54 AM
awaiting response to my information

euros davies
03-04-2019, 4:05 PM
The only information I have on Thomas Davies, born 15th January, 1797 is that he lived at Tyhen, Tynreithyn ? and also went to America, his child baptised in Llwynpiod Chapel, nr Llangeithio, Cardiganshire. Wife's name possible Jane, Tyhen.
These are recollections of relative who has past away.

Happy Jackie
03-04-2019, 6:12 PM
We are travelling at the moment so I am not always on the computer. I shall peruse all the information you have given me, check it with mine and see if I have any additional information for you. Thanks for sharing!

jeanjin
06-11-2019, 8:11 PM
Eros, Thomas E Davies (Jane) 1787 are my 3rd great grandparents and they came over in 1847 with their children. I have information from another "cousin" indicating their ship, Tamerlane, did dock in Quebec, Canada and that Thomas and family came on down to southern Ohio via canals and the Ohio river. This is all on my tree on Ancestry. I also have that Thomas lives at Tyhen so that is accurate. I am pleased to find this forum as I just recently discovered that my 4th great grandfather Enoch 1768 lived at Tyn Gaer. I do not know his wife's name.

euros davies
08-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Eros, Thomas E Davies (Jane) 1787 are my 3rd great grandparents and they came over in 1847 with their children. I have information from another "cousin" indicating their ship, Tamerlane, did dock in Quebec, Canada and that Thomas and family came on down to southern Ohio via canals and the Ohio river. This is all on my tree on Ancestry. I also have that Thomas lives at Tyhen so that is accurate. I am pleased to find this forum as I just recently discovered that my 4th great grandfather Enoch 1768 lived at Tyn Gaer. I do not know his wife's name.

Glad you got in touch with me, how we managed to miss each other during the 2018 Wales / Ohio Celebrations I don't know, I was stewarding at the Cilcennin Exhibition all week. Were you at the Barbeque Night, because I spoke to many American visitors that evening and met two distant relations from the States.
Your name cropped up several times when preparing / setting up the exhibits but I didn't know about the family connection then.
I wiil look at my files to refresh my memories. Have you been in touch with Happy Jackie from Olds, Alberta, Canada as she is also a distant cousin of ours (same ancestry linage)
Will e-mail you any details you require

euros davies
09-11-2019, 9:54 AM
jeanne
hope this reply gets to you, will e-mail you as well
eros

helachau
09-11-2019, 11:39 AM
The only information I have on Thomas Davies, born 15th January, 1797 is that he lived at Tyhen, Tynreithyn ? and also went to America, his child baptised in Llwynpiod Chapel, nr Llangeithio, Cardiganshire. Wife's name possible Jane, Tyhen.
These are recollections of relative who has past away.

Euros,
Welsh journals
Have a look at an item in "Cyfaill o'r Hen Wlad yn America", 1 Feb 1869. Use search key "Rhag 16 1868" (include " " as part of key). Should return 1 hit - see "Mrs Elizabeth Walters".

Cofion cynnes

euros davies
09-11-2019, 12:36 PM
helachau
Thanks for the information, will look up the item as I have little information on Thomas at the moment but I have just been contacted by a distant cousin from Ohio who is a descendant of Thomas, she has only just joined the forum begining of the month (jeannejin)
Diolch yn fawr
Cofion cynnes
Euros

euros davies
12-11-2019, 1:25 PM
We are travelling at the moment so I am not always on the computer. I shall peruse all the information you have given me, check it with mine and see if I have any additional information for you. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Happy Jackie
For your information here is my e-mail, viz : d117davies@btinternet.com
Hope you enjoyed your travells, I have just discovered another descendant of our family in the States !!
Regards
Euros