PDA

View Full Version : desperately seeking harry phillips

patchoz
30-11-2011, 9:42 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and looking for some help in tracing my jewish ancestors.

I am trying to find trace of my grandfather Harry (Henry) Phillips. I have copies of his army records, recently obtained direct from the Army Personnel Centre which confirm his religion as Jewish and his birth on 21st April 1907 in the parish of Marylebone but I cannot find any record of this. He also states his parents as British.

I have a copy of his marriage (1948, Brentwood to Nora Alfreda Andrews) and death certificate (1958, Rochford). His marriage cert states father was Master Tailor named as Louise Phillips and I have checked with the registry office who confirmed this was not a mispelt name as there is a note from the registrar himself confirming it was correctly spelt! I have also learnt from his army documents that he had a sister called Rachel who was his next of kin in 1940 but I have reason to believe she may have died during the war as Harry has changed his next of kin details at some point to show Rose Phillips instead (another sister I assume). I think he may also have had two brothers Jack and Mark. I am struggling to find any details of Harry pre 1940 or his family.

Ideally I would love to find a record of Harry's birth in the hopes of obtaining a birth certificate and great grandparents names but seem to keep hitting brick walls! I would be eternally grateful if anyone could help me in my quest.

Many thanks,
Patchoz

Mutley
30-11-2011, 10:11 PM
If you have an address from his army record you could try using that to search in the 1911 census.

I've had a quick look but nothing is coming up under Louise and Phillips is such a common name there are loads of them.
The address would narrow it down somewhat. :smile5:

olliecat
30-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Patchoz and welcome to the forum.

So far the closest I can find in the census is...

RG14/569 SN19 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
16 Chapel St W, St Marylebone
PHILLIPS, Lewis, head, married 9 years, 60, tailor, Russian Polland
PHILLIPS, Rosie, wife, 39, Russian Poland
PHILLIPS, Lizzie, daughter, 24, tailoress, In City East End
PHILLIPS, Harry, son, 7, Marylebone
PHILLIPS, Markey, son, 5, Marylebone
PHILLIPS, Rachel, daughter, 3, Marylebone

Depends if Harry was being accurate with his birth year on his army records. I'll have another poke through the census see if anything else turns up.

Lizzy9
30-11-2011, 10:31 PM
A birth was registered in St Marylebone for Harry Phillips, Apr - Jun qrt 1904, 1a/550. This fits well with the census posted be Olliecat.

Lizzy9
30-11-2011, 11:32 PM
If the 1911 census posted by Olliecat is the family you are seeking, then clearly the Lewis/Rosie union is a second marriage for Lewis.

A possible marriage is: Lewis Phillips to Rose Marks, Jan-Mar qrt 1903, Kensington, 1a/327.

Here's an 1891 census with interesting names. All born Russia, sorry I can't make out place name. RG12; Piece: 280; Folio 129; Page 15

Lewis Marks 47, Master Tailor,
Rachael Marks 24, Tailoress
Rose Marks 22, Tailoress
Sue Marks 20, Button Hole Hand
Jacob Marks 16, Macinist
Harris Marks 19, nephew
Mildred Linscot 59, Domestic Servant

geneius
30-11-2011, 11:39 PM
1901 RG13 113 64 34
PHILLIPS Lewis 49 Tailor Russi Poland
PHILLIPS Eva 22 Hampstead
PHILIPS Elizabeth 20

1881 RG11 453 48 30

PHILLIPS Lewis 28 Tailor Russia Poland
PHILLIPS Rebecca 23 Russia Poland
PHILLIPS Simon 4 london
PHILLIPS Eva 2 Hampstead
PHILIPS Elizabeth

MArriages

Louis PHILLIPS + Rebecca NEWMAN 1875 London City 1c 158

Lewis PHILLIPS = Rose BARR 1902 Edmonton 3a 762?

geneius
30-11-2011, 11:47 PM
The family can be found at 1891 RG12 144 104
Stafford Street Marylebone

Jan1954
01-12-2011, 9:43 AM
Hello patchoz - welcome to Brit-Gen,

A couple of publications that will help you trace Jewish ancestors are My Ancestors were Jewish (http://www.parishchest.com/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P81558&pageOffset=0) as well as the Beginner's Guide to Jewish Genealogy (http://www.parishchest.com/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P26584&pageOffset=0) if you have not explored Jewish ancestry before.

Good luck with your research,

patchoz
01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you all very much for your help.

In reply to Mutley, the address given on his army records was southend on sea, essex which is where he died. There is an address for his sister Rachel in London in 1940 and later for a miss Rose Phillips in Dunstable so I can always try those on the off chance they may have been there in 1911.

It is of course very possible that Harry's birth year stated on his army docs was incorrect as his marriage cert works out b1906 and death cert b1904!

I also discovered he worked for 'Hunter Simmonds' before signing up for the pioneer corps. I have had a scout around and found record of a Hunter Simmonds born Islington 1872 and died Southend 1952. I'm wondering if maybe Harry came to Southend with Hunter (his employer), which is where he settled down?? Interestingly I also found a record of marriage in Whitechapel 1902 between Louis Phillips and Jennie Simmonds!! Could this just be a coincidence or a possibility that perhaps Hunter was Jennie's brother (harry's uncle).

Unfortunately I am now struggling to find record of a Jennie Simmonds or Jennie Phillips or a connection to Hunter.

olliecat
01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I also discovered he worked for 'Hunter Simmonds' before signing up for the pioneer corps. I have had a scout around and found record of a Hunter Simmonds born Islington 1872 and died Southend 1952. ...
I also found a record of marriage in Whitechapel 1902 between Louis Phillips and Jennie Simmonds!! ...

Unfortunately I am now struggling to find record of a Jennie Simmonds or Jennie Phillips or a connection to Hunter.

At this point I can't see a connection between Jennie SIMMONDS and Hunter SIMMONDS (born abt. 1872.) Hunter's parents were Charles and Phoebe. Checking for baptisms for siblings and half-siblings of Hunter (taking into account that it appears that his father Charles married twice)...

Children of Charles SIMMONDS and Sara Ann BARNES

Arthur John Simmonds, 11 Apr 1852 at Pentonville St James
Charles Ollis Simmonds, 22 Jun 1856 at Islington St Mary
Martha Simmonds, 22 Jun 1856 at Islington St Mary
Sarah Ann Simmonds, 26 Jul 1857 at Pentonville St James
Eliza Simmonds, 26 Jun 1859 at Islington St Mary

Children of Charles SIMMONDS and Phoebe ELSON

Kate Sophia Simmonds, 3 Jul 1864 at Battle Bridge All Saints, Islington
Charles Simmonds, 7 Jan 1866 at Islington St Mary
Ada Eliza Simmonds, 28 Jun 1868 at Islington St Mary
Edwin Simmonds, 7 Nov 1869 at Islington St Mary
Charlotte Amy Simmonds, 21 May 1871 at Islington St Mary
Hunter Simmonds, 30 Jun 1872 at Islington St Mary

olliecat
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
There is an address for his sister Rachel in London in 1940 and later for a miss Rose Phillips in Dunstable so I can always try those on the off chance they may have been there in 1911.

Since you have an address for sister Rachel and also Rose Phillips, it may be worth checking electoral registers for any other names that pop up for those addresses.

Kerrywood
01-12-2011, 1:00 PM
All born Russia, sorry I can't make out place name. RG12; Piece: 280; Folio 129; Page 15
The place-name is written Lomsa , but it's often spelt Lomza in historical documents. It's now in Poland.

You'll find some useful links here, and many more if you Google.
http://
kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Lomza/

patchoz
01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
I'ts definately worth a go, thank you!