PDA

View Full Version : Orgrave Colliery, Rotherham

Mutley
27-11-2011, 8:30 PM
I have the death certificate for Charles Edward Coe. He was killed on the 11 March 1930 at Parkgate Seam,
Orgrave Colliery. Rotherham. An inquest was held on 12th March. I don't think this was a mining disaster as I cannot find any reference to it, just one poor soul killed by a 'fall of stone'.

I wondered if there were any newspaper reports regarding his death or a funeral?

I have tried searching the British Library newspaper collection and using Google but have not come up with anything. I believe inquest information is closed for 75 years so there may be a chance that this would now be available and I suspect Sheffield Archives might hold something but sadly I cannot get there.

Does anyone have any local knowledge or access to newspapers that might fill in some details please?

Mutley
27-11-2011, 9:40 PM
Thank you Graham, we will try that.
This is for a friend, they are new to Family History but have followed the correct route. Paid for a subscription, found the census and sent for the certificates so I would like to help them out.

What they really want to know is where Charles was in WW1?
They remember a photo of him in Army uniform but do not know what happened to it.
We have found a Medal Card that may apply to him but there is not a corresponding service record. It is a long shot to see if a newspaper report or the inquest mentions his army service.

Mutley
28-11-2011, 12:08 AM
If no-one replies you could perhaps contact Rotherham libraries who may well have microfilm of the newspapers of the time. Most libraries nowadays seem to have access to regional newspaper archives:

Rotherham Central Library and Arts Centre
Walker Place
Rotherham
S65 1JH
email: [email protected]

Because you have an exact date it wouldn't really entail a long search and if you tell them your location they might be happy to take a look and see what they can find.

I've just clicked on the email address for the above site and it has brought up a wizard for me to set up a new E-mail Account.
It is asking for my name, my email address, and a field to type the
'password your internet service provider has given you'
It states:
Clicking next will contact your e-mail server and configure your internet service provider or Microsoft Exchange server account settings.
I am not sure about giving out that information :confused5:

Peter Goodey
28-11-2011, 8:55 AM
This may be the way your system is set up. Perhaps you haven't told your browser what your default email system is.

I think you should just go into your usual email system, start a new message and just enter [email protected] in the appropriate field.

Mutley
29-11-2011, 12:23 AM
This may be the way your system is set up. Perhaps you haven't told your browser what your default email system is.
I thought I told my new Windows 7 everything but maybe it did not listen or maybe I don't yet speak the same language. :frown2:

I think you should just go into your usual email system, start a new message and just enter [email protected] in the appropriate field.

Thanks Peter, why did I not think of that?
You always seem to sort me out one way or another. |hug|

Gillmar
06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
One very good forum is:

http://
1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

This is a very active forum with extremely knowledgeable members on WWI, whether KIA or civilian deaths.