PDA

View Full Version : Earls of Ilchester

Margaret08
24-11-2011, 4:47 PM
There is an article in today's Western Daily Press about the Trustees of Compton Dundon School who are trying to trace the heir of the 5th Earl of Ilchester. Apparently the 5th Earl gave the school to the village in 1872 to provide education for the village's adults and children, now the school has closed so they need to trace him. I don't know if the title still exists, but I would have thought that he would be easy to trace. :smile:

Margaret

louisa maud
24-11-2011, 5:18 PM
Hi Margaret
Try googling it, there seems to be lots of info online

regards

Louisa Maud

Margaret08
24-11-2011, 5:21 PM
Yes, I've just done a Google, the 10th Earl lives at Farley Mill in Kent, he has a son Simon James Fox-Strangways, Lord Stavordale, perhaps they don't have Google in Compton Dundon?!?!

Margaret

Coromandel
24-11-2011, 5:40 PM
If they're looking for the next of kin of the 7th Earl it might not be so straightforward. The 10th Earl is quite a distant relative of his because the 7th Earl's two sons both died young, during their father's lifetime, so the title passed to a cousin and then to the cousin's nephew (if www is to be believed). The 7th Earl did have a daughter, though. She married the 9th Viscount Galway but had no children . . . . so I suppose then you have to look at the 7th Earl's siblings to see if they have living descendants.