PDA

View Full Version : Loss of a Stalwart

Waitabit
22-11-2011, 10:21 PM
You've been my rock, my teacher / guide & staunch ali through a time of stress & recovery.We had some great adventures & made wonderful discoveries which will be a solace to me for years to come.

I cannot mourn your loss which is overwritten by the joy you brought me, the knowledge & real awareness of people & places .
We soared together you & I, found friends & aquaintances around the world, gold amongthe grime, & sometimes grime on the gold. We arrived at a new me.

Through you I found Family I never knew was mine & built an inner strength to deal with lifes bumps & bruises.
Today I can stop & appreciate every aspect of my day instead of racing to get though it.

Hopefully I'll never again exhibit impatience at the slowness of my companions, be they human or mechanical, nor put too great a task to them, nor ask them to carry large loads.

On your passing, my computer, I salute you, you have my deepest respect & gratitude.

v.wells
22-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Wendy, I have never thought so dearly of my computer until I read your post. May yours rest in peace and I know you will look forward and upward with your new ally in life!|hug|

Waitabit
22-11-2011, 11:05 PM
|hug|
Thank you Vanessa, you've read one of my most real feelings, which are not often aired.There's no real hurry for replacement
but I will miss some aspects of my most recent internet meanderings & involvements, so that will perhaps get me a wriggle on.

Nicolina
22-11-2011, 11:35 PM
now I know who to blame for my computer crashing earlier today, Wendy. (thankfully I knew how to fix it.) :lol:
It always amazes me just how dependant we've become on home computers. We would be lost without them and all the information that is now only a moment away.

Waitabit
23-11-2011, 12:41 AM
I wish I had the 'fixits' too Nicolina. Imagine how long those far removed from UK info. would otherwise take to build their trees, if ever.

I do wonder if one day, all that blather in the ether will completely clog it up we'll be once more reliant on writing letters, you know, in sentences to form a greeting or message. Mail as in postman cometh.

Meantime:
I have a little netbook, nothing to campare
with a large computer, but today I don't care.
It gets my little messages, to those who mean the most
If I need more assistance I'll came bcak here & post. :)

now a little more time in the garden I think.

Mutley
23-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I feel for you, I have just buried my best friend at the bottom of a green bin.
He failed to wake up one morning, presumably passing away, peacefully, during the night.
I knew his family so well, Mr. XP and Mrs Word 2003 have helped me through thick and thin. I shall miss them so. :sad:

My best friend advised me to find a replacement for him, I've followed his advice but this new fellow is shiny and clean and unfriendly with bright flashing lights. His family, Mr. MS 7 and Mrs Word 7 are a complicated couple I've yet to learn to like.

I long for my quiet beige companion of old and all the necessary stuff I did not know he had, until he took it with him when he departed. Life will never be the same again.:wink:

susan-y
23-11-2011, 1:27 AM
:smilewinkgrin:
He failed to wake up one morning, presumably passing away, peacefully, during the night.
I knew his family so well, Mr. XP and Mrs Word 2003 have helped me through thick and thin. I shall miss them so. :sad:

My best friend advised me to find a replacement for him, I've followed his advice but this new fellow is shiny and clean and unfriendly with bright flashing lights. His family, Mr. MS 7 and Mrs Word 7 are a complicated couple I've yet to learn to like.

I long for my quiet beige companion of old and all the necessary stuff I did not know he had, until he took it with him when he departed. Life will never be the same again.

Shouldn't this be posted in the November competion? :smilewinkgrin:

Sue

Nicolina
23-11-2011, 1:38 AM
since I lost years of genealogy diggings I've tended to use external hard-drives, with backups on disk because I couldn't go through the trauma again of losing so much. At least it made me teach myself how to fix some things. I also hate it when they insist that we need new-fangled machines and programmes instead of those we feel comfortable with. My belief is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I'll carry on using programmes I've had for years.

v.wells
23-11-2011, 4:36 AM

I long for my quiet beige companion of old and all the necessary stuff I did not know he had, until he took it with him when he departed. Life will never be the same again.:wink:

That's a fabulous obit Mutley!:biggrin5:|hug|

Mutley
24-11-2011, 12:14 AM
:smilewinkgrin:

Shouldn't this be posted in the November competion? :smilewinkgrin:

Sue

Unfortunately, the competition rules are for an obituary of an ancestor and my best friend was not related and a bit younger than me (well, perhaps more than a bit younger, but not much. :lol:)

That's a fabulous obit Mutley!

Thank you. He deserved it.
He had a fantastic collection of old fonts, it must have been his hobby, I suspect he gathered them from all over.
Mr. Newbie does not seem so interested, such a shame! Me and my old mate had similar interests.
Mr. Newbie, being a mere youngster, just wants stupid bells and whistles, seemingly, the louder the better!.
A sign of the times I suppose. :rolleyes5:

pippycat
24-11-2011, 3:17 PM
Hi Mutley,

Appears I have the twin to your Mr Newbie! - younger they may be, but still not capable of finding your Ernest Davies or his father!

Rebecca

alfier
24-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I have never had the faith to trust the external, he does seem to be a remote member of our family here. But I do have in Nicolina she has been a saviour.. Have a good day, Alfie A.

Allanah
26-11-2011, 9:07 PM
Nice Post

Allanah

Waitabit
26-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Through you I found Family I never knew was mine & built an inner strength to deal with lifes bumps & bruises

However, I'm not too sure if that covers the nasty little'' ?' who rang yesterday to tell me my computer had a virus etc.....It's amazing that the Microsoft company can only find the same little person to man it's virus detection & fixing programme.

I do remember being blonde, I ddidn't advertise or admit to STUPIDITY!