PDA

View Full Version : Complicated families

susan-y
21-11-2011, 2:16 AM
I pity anyone tracing my husbands family in generations to come..
Today we found out my husband is to be a 3x gr. uncle by Spring. This means his neice will be a great grandmother and she is only in her mid-fifties. In our own immediate family we have only been grandparents for 2 years whereas his sister will be a great great grandmother! I'm getting confused already and I do genealogy:willy_nilly:

Sue

Pat S
21-11-2011, 3:29 AM
Well, we’re all fantastic! I’m a GREAT aunt, but my sister is a GRAND mother. (Which is of higher degree, I wonder??)

Pat

CanadianCousin
22-11-2011, 1:06 PM
Some years ago, I met my niece's son for the first time since he was a baby. He was then about 8, and we had been chatting amiably for a while when the conversation went something like this:

Me: Isaac, did you know that we're related? I'm your great-uncle.
Isaac: Stop - now you're scaring me!

I'm not sure if he was deliberately being funny, but I certainly had a good chuckle, as did his mother when I told her.

:smilielol5::smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Tim

Margaret08
22-11-2011, 8:40 PM
As my husband's family has lived in the same area since the early 1800's there has been a great deal of inter-marrying leading to his first cousin also being his third cousin, his 1st cousins once removed in Australia are also his third cousins once removed, several second cousins are also third cousins, some first cousins are third cousins too, his mum's sister is also a 2nd cousin once removed owing to her marrying his fathers 2nd cousin, a great aunt is his 1st cousin twice removed. My own family which covers a much wider area has also managed to throw up the fact that my grandfathers first wife was also my great, great aunt and my half-aunt was also my first cousin twice removed.

It makes my head spin sometimes, but it also makes researching (particularly my husband's family) very interesting as I never know just what I am going to find out next.

Margaret.

Jan1954
22-11-2011, 8:55 PM
Rather akin to trying to knit fog! :out:

One branch of my family intermarried so much that I have ended up related to 90% of a particular village. My efforts in trying to trace my many and varied ancestors in that location turned into a one-place study. :frown2:

v.wells
22-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Rather akin to trying to knit fog! :out:

I like that line Jan:biggrin5:

My ancestors never did much such as producing children, let alone marrying anyone :frown5:

Mutley
22-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Some years ago, I met my niece's son for the first time since he was a baby. He was then about 8, and we had been chatting amiably for a while when the conversation went something like this:

Me: Isaac, did you know that we're related? I'm your great-uncle.
Isaac: Stop - now you're scaring me!

I'm not sure if he was deliberately being funny, but I certainly had a good chuckle, as did his mother when I told her.

:smilielol5::smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Tim

And so did I, more than chuckle, I couldn't stop laughing.
And I wondered, are you HUGE? :smilielol5:

Seriously, how does an 8 year old relate to the word 'great'?
Jack and the Beanstalk, Father Christmas, that would be size, ten thousand sleeps would be too much time to comprehend. (though only 30 something years)
I am scaring myself. :smile5:

Margaret08
23-11-2011, 7:31 AM
I like that line Jan:biggrin5:

My ancestors never did much such as producing children, let alone marrying anyone :frown5:

Vanessa, mine didn't always marry and have children, well, at least not always in that order!

Margaret

suzannewozere2
23-11-2011, 5:05 PM
We have an aunt younger than her own neice and a married couple becoming step brother and sister when their parents married later.

Lone Pine
24-11-2011, 2:35 PM
My Dads Aunty was only 10 when he was in his 40s, his Grandfather re-married when he was elderly and have this Aunt.

As to the greats, well I had a Great Grandmother (Gradma's Mum) and a Great Grandfther (Grandad's Dad) unfortunatly both my Grandparetns had died, so only had the "greats". One day we were all round Great Nanny's and it went silent and then this little voice (me) popped up with "Great Nanny are you and Great Grandad divorced, is that why you live in different houses" there followed so Mum says a moments silence and then absolutely howls of laughter :smilielol5: and then it was expalained to me that one was my Grandmothers Mother and the other one was my Grandfathers Father and actually they had never been married to each other. :blush5:

alfier
24-11-2011, 10:49 PM
the power of childrens thoughts. My greatgrandchildren call me super pop to distinguish between us. I don't think I can quite jump over the speeding train or whatever.