PDA

View Full Version : Finding existing Will

Dargie
18-11-2011, 7:39 AM
I have been told that a Will exists for my 3xgreat grandfather. The kind person who told me this also offerred to transcribe it for me. However that has not actually happened.
I am by nature extremely impatient however as this Will would appear to provide the information needed to demolish part of a brick wall I am very anxious to view it.

The details are as follows.
Thomas WARREN buried 4th July 1807 in Debenham, Suffolk. He was a School Master

As this was prior to 1858 I am at a loss to know how to send away for it. I have spent the last hour reading the wonderful sticky and tearing my hair out searching on the National Archive site to no avail. I am severely challenged when it comes to understanding the procedure. After 1858 has been no worries and very successful but not so this one. I have managed to reach the Origins.com web site but they ask for a sub. Is this the only way out?

Could some kind person point me in the right direction please!

Coromandel
18-11-2011, 8:22 AM
Yes, pre-1858 probate records can be much harder to track down. It depends where the testator had property, and which ecclesiastical courts had jurisdiction over that area.

If probate was dealt with at the highest level court, the Archbishop of Canterbury's court (PCC), the records will be available through Documents Online. I can't see Thomas there.:(

If probate was dealt with at the relevant diocesan court (the Consistory Court of Norwich) records will be at the Norfolk Record Office. According to noah.norfolk.gov.uk/databases.aspx#probate (put "www." in front) the Consistory Court wills for 1800-1858 are online as part of NOAH (Norfolk Online Access to Heritage). I checked their index but could not see your Thomas Warren there either.:(

That leaves the Archdeaconry Court of Suffolk: probate records will be at the Ipswich branch of the Suffolk Record Office. I haven't yet spotted any online indexes to these records for the period you want. The Record Office should be able to advise you.

Dargie
18-11-2011, 8:30 AM
Thanks for all your help..no I could not find him anywhere online either. Thanks also for the references and links they may come in handy in the future for other Wills.
Now I think you are quite correct in suggesting that Ipswich is the place to go. I feel certain now that the person who told me about this would have been to the record office at Ipswich. I guess I was hoping for a short cut!!

I shall email them now. They are notoriously slow (and expensive!)at getting on with the job but that will be a good lesson in patience for me!!
Marj

Sue Mackay
18-11-2011, 8:39 AM
It may well be held at Suffolk Record Office if it is not a PCC will. I tried looking here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/advanced-search.aspx?tab=1) and entered Thomas Warren under exact word or phrase and Debehnam under place, and was directed to a settlement document for Thomas Warren, wife Martha and children (1776) which may interest you. I should e-mail the Suffolk Record Office for advice.

Sue Mackay
18-11-2011, 8:44 AM
You might also like to contact Debenham Family History Society at debenhamfamilyhistory.org.uk

v.wells
18-11-2011, 8:27 PM
I looked at deceased online but couldn't find anything. Of course their records are constantly being updated. I was hoping to see a register that might include another family name for you to link to.

Dargie
18-11-2011, 9:13 PM
Thank you so much Sue and Vanessa for your help.

At least Sue, you actually found him in the Archives!! I never have any luck.

The document you have found is actually a settlement document regarding the family relocating from Framlingham to Debenham. The person who found the Will for me also found that document. It was a serious breakthrough as prior to finding this I had no idea what had happened to the family.
I admit I do not undertand what such a document was all about. Possibly because he was a School Master (I had always thought him to be a wheelwright as that is the trade passed down through generations!).

Today I will email both the Ipswich Records Office and Debenham. I have emailed one school still operating in Debenham which stated in 1770 so I am hoping that they have a record of past teachers. The dates fit together well.

Thanks again for the help.:flowers:
Marj.

Mitch in Notts
20-11-2011, 3:23 PM
Please consider that a large number of wills are missing from the Norfolk NOAH website - I have 3 wills that were probated in the
1830s that NRO have, but they aren't on NOAH.

Mitch