PDA

View Full Version : Boer War

joette
07-07-2005, 10:03 AM
My PAternal Grandfather joined up & fought in the First Boer War. He also served on the Gold Coast which gave him a lifetime legacy of malaria.He served in some sort of Police Force but left due to the sickening nature of his duties( according to my Father).
He returned to Midlothian went down the Mines & was out in France the first month of the War where he served until being seriusly wounded & permanantely disabled. We have his discharge papers ,he certainly was a nonconformist & a bit bolshie.There is no mention of his servive in the Boer War just that "he is a Reservist".
I know you will probably say Kew but is that the place to look for his service record in South Africa?
Also was he called up so quickly despite having a reserved occupation (MINER) because of previous service? I know I sound terribly ignorant but what were the dates of first Boer conflict?

Geoffers
08-07-2005, 9:24 AM
I know I sound terribly ignorant but what were the dates of first Boer conflict?
Most service records are held at The National Archvies at Kew. Theire web-site has numerous research guides which may be worth reading.

The first 'war' - really no more than a series of skirmishes was from Dec 1880 to Aug 1881. The main South African (Boer) was ran from Oct 1899 to May 1902.

Geoffers

shirley haas
26-07-2005, 9:19 PM
Most service records are held at The National Archvies at Kew. Theire web-site has numerous research guides which may be worth reading.

The first 'war' - really no more than a series of skirmishes was from Dec 1880 to Aug 1881. The main South African (Boer) was ran from Oct 1899 to May 1902.

Geoffers

______________________-

My great grandfather is supposed to have fought both in the Indian Uprising and the Boer War; he was from Newcastle; married, he lived in W. Bromlich and then Wigan.

How would one get into sad wars? Join the British Navy?

I haven't a clue what any of this means, but I do sincerely want to know as I'm currently profiling our British history.

Thanks, shirley haas

Geoffers
26-07-2005, 9:27 PM
My great grandfather is supposed to have fought both in the Indian Uprising and the Boer War; he was from Newcastle; married, he lived in W. Bromlich and then Wigan. How would one get into sad wars? Join the British Navy?
By the Indian Uprising, do you mean the Indian Mutiny, or bearing in mind where you live was this something to do with America and the tribes referred to these days as 'Native Americans'.

The Indian Mutiny was in 1857, he would have served an awful long time to fight in both this and the South African (Boer) War.

If he fought in either/both then he was likely to have served in the army. Do you have further information on the source which says he fought in these conflicts?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Peter Goodey
26-07-2005, 11:02 PM
"How would one get into sad wars?"

There's many a true word spoken in typo ;)

shirley haas
08-09-2005, 8:46 PM
By the Indian Uprising, do you mean the Indian Mutiny, or bearing in mind where you live was this something to do with America and the tribes referred to these days as 'Native Americans'.

The Indian Mutiny was in 1857, he would have served an awful long time to fight in both this and the South African (Boer) War.

If he fought in either/both then he was likely to have served in the army. Do you have further information on the source which says he fought in these conflicts?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

NO, I don't. Only my mohter's notes (her maternal grandfather, JOhn T. Olarenshaw).

It does seem like a long time to have been in both wars; probably not; maybe just the Indian Uprising? That's what she wrote.

shaas

shirley haas
08-09-2005, 8:47 PM
"How would one get into sad wars?"

There's many a true word spoken in typo ;)
-----------------

Not a "typo"; wars are cruel and appalling. It's the animal in man.

shaas.

Terry Reeves
09-09-2005, 5:32 PM
There were many campaigns on Indian sub-continent, where the British-Indian Army, made up of British Regular Army and Indian troops, were principally involved putting down tribal rebellions which attracted the awards such as the India General Service Medal and various campaign clasps. Many of these "campaigns" lasted just a few weeks or months. These continued on into the 20th Century.

Terry Reeves

shirley haas
01-10-2005, 9:05 PM
There were many campaigns on Indian sub-continent, where the British-Indian Army, made up of British Regular Army and Indian troops, were principally involved putting down tribal rebellions which attracted the awards such as the India General Service Medal and various campaign clasps. Many of these "campaigns" lasted just a few weeks or months. These continued on into the 20th Century.

Terry Reeves

IF my great grandfather fought in anything, it had to have been in his younger years, so I feel my mother might have been mistaken on this count; however, usually she's right on and she knew her history, so the best thing for me to do is scan in her words, and then complete the beginning with my findings and just let it go.

It's easier than trying to figure it out.

Thanks again, sh

pompylen
21-03-2006, 1:05 PM
My Grandfather's obituary says that he joined the 2nd Hampshire’s and went to South Africa at the age of 21, this would mean during the year of 1898 and he stayed there until the relief of Johannesburg. Would anyone know the date of this relief?

Geoffers
22-03-2006, 8:51 AM
the relief of Johannesburg. Would anyone know the date of this relief?
Roberts' force surrounded Johannesburg on 30th May 1900 and the Boer commander Dr Krause agreed to surrender the city on condition that the British did not enter until the following day.

Geoffers

pompylen
22-03-2006, 9:17 AM
Two years before the end, maybe the regiment came to the end of their tour of duty.
Thanks very much Geoffers, something to look into

Len