PDA

View Full Version : Bromley - 1861 & 1871 Look Up please

mjcarpenter
06-07-2005, 8:59 PM
Please could a very kind reader look up the following names on the 1861 & 1871 census for the Bromley area?

1861 - Thomas and Rosina Sullivan ( or maybe O'Sullivan) They married in 1860 and his surname was recorded as Sullivan. I would like to know where and with who they were living. Thomas was a labourer.

1871 - look for the above but now with a son called Thomas. We think he may have been born in 1862. We there any more children?

In 1872/73 Rosina and son Thomas emigrated to Australia but no trace has been found of Thomas (father).

I look forward to hearing from you, and many thanks.

Trish
07-07-2005, 2:59 AM
No exact match but I see a possibility for your family in 1871:

First Household:
Name / Estimated Birth Year / Birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
Jeremiah Brown abt 1815 Ireland Head Frm Lab
Ellen Brown abt 1821 Ireland Wife
Thomas Sullivan abt 1836 Ireland Lodger Brickmaker
Rosanna Sullivan abt 1842 Whickham, Buckinghamshire, England Wife Worker Papermill
Thomas Sullivan abt 1863 St Mary Cray, Kent, England Son

Address: High Street, Cray St. Paul, Kent
RG10/878 Folio 12 Page 19

HTH,
Trish

Trish
07-07-2005, 3:39 AM
Here's the same couple in 1861:

Thomas Sullivan abt 1837 Balin A Cole, Ireland Head Labourer
Roseant [sic] Sullivan abt 1840 Baggers Hill, Buckinghamshire, England Wife

Address: Laurence Yd [? somewhat illegible] High Street, Cray St. Paul, Kent
RG9/464 Folio 98 Page 27

FYI: Just a few households down is another SULLIVAN -- a Catherine SULLIVAN, 27 years old, living with a family named Brickley. Catherine's birthplace is given as Cork, Ireland. Her occupation is given as "Work in Paper Mill".

Do the birthdates and places of this Thomas and his wife fit in with those of your Thomas and Rosina?
Trish

mjcarpenter
07-07-2005, 9:28 AM
Hello Trish

You are wonderful. The dates match up fairly well therefore I think this is the same family. It shows that Thomas the father was alive in 1871, the year before Rosina and son Thomas emigrated to Australia. What I need to establish now is whether Thomas the father died in 1871/72 and that is why they emigrated or he went too but his records were lost.

I will now try and search for a death for Thomas.

Mant thanks for your help

Regards
Michelle

Trish
08-07-2005, 3:48 AM
You're most welcome, Michelle. Good luck with tracking down Thomas.

Trish

mjcarpenter
08-07-2005, 8:05 AM
Dear Trish

Can I be cheeky and ask you to have a look at those census entries again and send me the entries for Catherine Sullivan. My relative in Australia has been searching the immigration records again and in 1865 some Brickleys entered the country, and wondered whether they sponsored the Sullivans going too. Did Catherine live in the area in 1871?

Many thanks for your help, regards Michelle

Trish
08-07-2005, 1:57 PM
Michelle,

No problem. First off -- here are the full 1861 details for Catherine Sullivan and the Brickley family:

Johan Brickley abt 1815 St Pauls Deptford Head Widow Work in Paper ?Mill?
Thomas Brickley abt 1839 Bermondsey, Surrey, England Son Unmarried Painter
Ann Brickley abt 1845 Bermondsey, Surrey, England Daughter Unmarried Work in Paper ?Mill?
Catherine Sullivan abt 1834 Cork, Ireland Bo&lodge* Unmarried Work in Paper ?Mill
Abigail Field abt 1837 Cork, Ireland Bo&lodge* Unmarried Work in Paper ?Mill

*probably stands for Boarder and Lodger

?Gulcher? Sq, St Mary Cray, Kent
RG9/464 Folio 98 Page 154

Will next look for Catherine in 1871 census...

Trish

Trish
08-07-2005, 2:12 PM
In 1871, Thomas BRICKLEY is still at the same address -- and it's definitely written as Fulcher's Square on the image, not Gulcher Square:

Thomas Brickley abt 1839 Southwark, Surrey, England Head Plumber
Catherine Brickley abt 1840 Ireland Wife
Catherine M J Brickley abt 1868 St Mary Cray, Kent, England Daughter
Elizabeth Brickley abt 1869 St Mary Cray, Kent, England Daughter
Sarah J Brickley abt 1870 St Mary Cray, Kent, England Daughter

Fulcher's Sq, St Mary Cray, Kent
RG10/877 Folio 31 Page 123

There's no sign of Johan BRICKLEY or Catherine SULLIVAN... unless Catherine SULLIVAN is the Catherine married to Thomas above [with a loss in a few years of age]? If the ages matched a little more closely I would say it's a possibility... however, she could have shaved a few years off to make herself younger than her husband. All conjecture, isn't it? By 1871, if she was still in England, Catherine would probably have married and have a different surname.

Does your relative know the first names of the BRICKLEYs who moved to Australia?

Trish

mjcarpenter
08-07-2005, 2:15 PM
Hi

Was there an Elizabeth & William Brickley living near by in 1861? They were the names who emigrated to Australia.

Many thanks
Michelle

Trish
08-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, let's see...

In 1861:

-- There was a William and Elizabeth BRICKLEY living in Cornwall. William was 42, born in "Cork, Laois, Ireland" and Elizabeth, 39, born in Cornwall. They had 6 children.

RG9/1599 Folio 75

-- There was a William BRICKLEY living in Middlesex. He was 50, a labourer and a widower. What's interesting is that this William was living with his daughter, Mary SULLIVAN, 24, and her husband Michael, 28, a labourer. All were born in Ireland.

RG9/277 Folio 47

I don't see any other likely candidates and none living in Kent. However, proximity shouldn't be a requisite for finding the most likely candidates.

HTH,
Trish

mjcarpenter
10-07-2005, 7:45 PM
Thank you so much for your help -
regards Michelle

yankee_lady
10-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Trish, I was reading some of your posts and have need of information on the Brickleys. I am looking for a Patrick Brickley married to Catherine (Kirby?) who had a son Thomas born in 1826 in Ireland.

Thomas later moved to Boston and is my great grandfather.

Any info on these Brickley's would be most welcome and much appreicated.

Trish
11-06-2006, 2:26 PM
Trish, I was reading some of your posts and have need of information on the Brickleys. I am looking for a Patrick Brickley married to Catherine (Kirby?) who had a son Thomas born in 1826 in Ireland.

Thomas later moved to Boston and is my great grandfather.

Any info on these Brickley's would be most welcome and much appreicated.Oh, unfortunately, I don't have access to very much in the way of Irish records.

Did Thomas BRICKLEY move from Ireland directly to the States? Or via England perhaps?

Is there any connection to Kent?

I strongly recommend that you start a new thread for your family in the Ireland forum and give all the details as you have above plus anything else you know -- such as approximately what year Thomas may have immigrated, if he had siblings, etc.

Posting your information in the appropriate forum will up your chances of someone with some knowledge and expertise in that area responding to your query.

Good luck!
Trish

yankee_lady
11-06-2006, 3:54 PM
Unfortunately I have very little info on Thomas before he arrived in the US other than his birthdate so I do not know if he was in England before coming to the States. Once in the US I have other info to share. The names in these posts caught my eye so I thought I would ask as the Brickley name is not that common.
Again thanks for the reply Trish